Prometheus BD Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
As the title says, this thread is for the discussion of the BD release of Prometheus. It's a continuation of this now-locked thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This thread is to discussion the Blu ray. Bickering about other members and AVS posts have been removed.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What's there to say, really? It's an excellent disc. Reference PQ, good AQ (nothing mind-blowing, but it wasn't a very aggressive soundtrack to begin with). The BTS documentary in the Collector's Edition is fantastic. Hell of a disc.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #5 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

What's there to say, really? It's an excellent disc. Reference PQ, good AQ (nothing mind-blowing, but it wasn't a very aggressive soundtrack to begin with). The BTS documentary in the Collector's Edition is fantastic. Hell of a disc.
There is some serious LFE moments too.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #6 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yup.
Good disc.
/thread

You got that right! The 7.1 is a showcase for how to mix 7.1 I hope Scott uses Atmos in Paradise
post #7 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

There is some serious LFE moments too.wink.gif
In my defense, I live in an apartment and have an older 5.1 setup that can't do lossless. smile.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

In my defense, I live in an apartment and have an older 5.1 setup that can't do lossless. smile.gif
Another recent movie that impressed me with LFE is TDKR.
One of the most thundering films I can recall.
In fact, there is so much SW activity it left me exhausted.

Oh, I forgot to say The Avengers has a lot of bone-rattling/waking the neighbors stuff as well.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #9 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Am I the only person having issues with the 3D disc of Prometheus? The disc just shows a black screen - nothing ever loads. I don't know if its the disc or the player, but my other three 3D blu-ray films load and function properly. I have a Panasonic DMP220. Thanks for the assist!

Click here for my home theater setup
post #10 of 24 Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

3D disc worked fine for me on the PS3.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #11 of 24 Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Am I the only person having issues with the 3D disc of Prometheus? The disc just shows a black screen - nothing ever loads. I don't know if its the disc or the player, but my other three 3D blu-ray films load and function properly. I have a Panasonic DMP220. Thanks for the assist!

It requires a firmware update
post #12 of 24 Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Great PQ. While the mix wasn't aggressive, I felt like it did an outstanding job at making you feel immersed into the film.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13 of 24 Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It requires a firmware update
Firmware is up to date. So either I've got a bad disc or Panasonic broke Prometheus 3D functionality in the 1.49 firmware update.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #14 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Liked: 11
Picked this up yesterday at BB for relatively ‘cheap’ considering most 3D titles appear to bring around $35 currently. The 3D effect on my setup was the *best* yet in terms of ‘crosstalk’ – I presume that is what I am getting in the other titles I picked up; Hugo, Avatar.

I’m not blaming the material; I’m sure the others are top notch as reported and it’s just something in my gear/setup; Panny 50” ST50 and Panny BDT220. I can see the adjustments for distance, pop out effect, etc. in my player.

Is there any other reason this disc seems to employ 3D so much better? I’m not a bigtime scifi and/or scary movie person, but this was super enjoyable! Not ‘scary’ really – just sort of a thriller. As mentioned, the sound effects were impressive – I think my neighborhood might have just figured out that my home theater has a decent subwoofer = probably need to try to bolt it down.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Shot with a 5K digital camera. That and Ridley Scott is very picky when it comes to details - see the bonus disc.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Picked this up yesterday at BB for relatively ‘cheap’ considering most 3D titles appear to bring around $35 currently. The 3D effect on my setup was the *best* yet in terms of ‘crosstalk’ – I presume that is what I am getting in the other titles I picked up; Hugo, Avatar.
The main difference beside the much higher resolution is Live filming 3D vs. Postconversion 3D + CGI (Hugo) and Very little Live Filmed 3D + CGI (Avatar).
Prometheus has very little CGI compared to those movies, and very little CGI/Greenscreen compared to most Sci-Fi movies.
Filmed live on set. Prometheus has just slightly more Effects shot than The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. And much of the VFX are mixed film elements and plates.

I saw Prometheus in 3D on my 17" laptop screen at standard 30% 3D depth (standard settings). Tried it later at between 45-50% depth, which showed the 3D in a much more impressive way.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Prometheus. In theaters , had the best 3d I've seen other than avatar.

Seems like if you do your 3d properly in your cinematic production, these efforts are also well notced on the bd release.

neflixis our nemesis
post #18 of 24 Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Prometheus. In theaters , had the best 3d I've seen other than avatar.

Seems like if you do your 3d properly in your cinematic production, these efforts are also well notced on the bd release.

I have to agree...and coincidentally Avatar and Prometheus are 2 of the only movies I've PAID to see in 3D.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #19 of 24 Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

The main difference beside the much higher resolution is Live filming 3D vs. Postconversion 3D + CGI (Hugo) and Very little Live Filmed 3D + CGI (Avatar).
Prometheus has very little CGI compared to those movies, and very little CGI/Greenscreen compared to most Sci-Fi movies.
Filmed live on set. Prometheus has just slightly more Effects shot than The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. And much of the VFX are mixed film elements and plates.

I saw Prometheus in 3D on my 17" laptop screen at standard 30% 3D depth (standard settings). Tried it later at between 45-50% depth, which showed the 3D in a much more impressive way.

Hugo was featured in one of my issues of HD VideoPro – which is what originated my notice of the film. I never made it to the theater to see it; probably had one of my fave leading ladies featured in the timeframe of its showing.

I recently revisited the article and it was shot on Arri Alexa I believe which were fairly new at the time I think the article stated and I believe they used the same 3D mounts as developed by James Cameron (I’m just sort of reaching for the details here, but something like that).

Anyway, it may very well be a matter of CGI being more prominent in Hugo and Avatar as you stated (seemed pretty heavy to me in all of them), but my understanding was that Hugo was very masterfully shot in 3D with intent for it to be shown in 3D and that’s why I was a little let down to see the ‘crosstalk’ effect, but there may be issues in my setup.

I hate to see so many others chime in with the same complaints. They are probably still best viewed at the theater. Oh well, 3D at home wasn’t a priority for me anyway and it’s still super cool. I wish more were like Prometheus though – very enjoyable to not have the distractions of the ‘crosstalk.’

Cool info on Prometheus about it being shot in 5K – I’ll have to Google that. I must have overlooked it if it was in one of my digital video magazines.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Hugo was featured in one of my issues of HD VideoPro – which is what originated my notice of the film. I never made it to the theater to see it; probably had one of my fave leading ladies featured in the timeframe of its showing.

I recently revisited the article and it was shot on Arri Alexa I believe which were fairly new at the time I think the article stated and I believe they used the same 3D mounts as developed by James Cameron (I’m just sort of reaching for the details here, but something like that).

Anyway, it may very well be a matter of CGI being more prominent in Hugo and Avatar as you stated (seemed pretty heavy to me in all of them), but my understanding was that Hugo was very masterfully shot in 3D with intent for it to be shown in 3D and that’s why I was a little let down to see the ‘crosstalk’ effect, but there may be issues in my setup.

I hate to see so many others chime in with the same complaints. They are probably still best viewed at the theater. Oh well, 3D at home wasn’t a priority for me anyway and it’s still super cool. I wish more were like Prometheus though – very enjoyable to not have the distractions of the ‘crosstalk.’

Cool info on Prometheus about it being shot in 5K – I’ll have to Google that. I must have overlooked it if it was in one of my digital video magazines.

The crosstalk issues are display related, not the fault of the disc. Hugo for example shows distracting ghosting on my RS45, but absolutely ZERO crosstalk on my single chip DLP Benq 7000. I have never seen ghosting on the DLP which is what they are known for when it comes to 3d vs other display tech.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21 of 24 Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The crosstalk issues are display related, not the fault of the disc. Hugo for example shows distracting ghosting on my RS45, but absolutely ZERO crosstalk on my single chip DLP Benq 7000. I have never seen ghosting on the DLP which is what they are known for when it comes to 3d vs other display tech.

I JUST found more adjustments 3D related last night on my tv that I haven't had the chance to play with watching Hugo/Avatar. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it would be more enjoyable if it didn't happen.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
About 19 minutes into the 3D disc, the scene where they are explaining their theory to the Prometheus crew, the contrast levels begin to fluctuate up and down throughout the scene. Once the scene cuts over to the next scene, the movie continues on without issue. I've never seen this happen on a Blu-ray (or any disc) before. Anyone else notice this? At first I thought it was a 3D issue in my system, but I dropped the output to 2D and the issue remained.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

About 19 minutes into the 3D disc, the scene where they are explaining their theory to the Prometheus crew, the contrast levels begin to fluctuate up and down throughout the scene. Once the scene cuts over to the next scene, the movie continues on without issue. I've never seen this happen on a Blu-ray (or any disc) before. Anyone else notice this? At first I thought it was a 3D issue in my system, but I dropped the output to 2D and the issue remained.

You sure this is the disc and not an adaptive contrast setting on your TV?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #24 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You sure this is the disc and not an adaptive contrast setting on your TV?

I'm sure it is not the TV. This is the only place in the disk that this occurs. I have never seen this behavior in any content.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page