March 12th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I saw this on opening day, an early afternoon showing, among six in the theatre. It was much better than the tepid reviews I've been reading.

Filmed somewhat the way Hitch may have done it, with moments with tongue firmly in cheek. Is it accurate? Somewhat (although there is an especially glaring error). Is it well acted? Surely. Is it entertaining? Absolutely!

If you are 19 years old, will you "get it"? I don't think so.

I'm not. I liked it very much. wink.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I love the subject, dislike Hopkins. But I did hear The Girl was better or at least Tobey Jones
post #4 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hmmm, I didn't see The Girl. Maybe because of the pre-publicity. Tippi Hedren seems so vindictive and I don't know if Hitchcock wielded that kind of power during his waning years. Janet Leigh wrote a book about the making of Psycho and didn't have that experience. So, who knows...

Anthony Hopkins did not look like Hitchcock in the film. But, if my imagination is worth anything, he displayed some good manerisms. Why don't you like him, Mike?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just not a fan, he is way too panto
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Watched this one on Blu-ray last night. Had zero expectations, very little info so the movie was pretty much a fresh experience so to speak.

I'm a pretty undemanding fan of movie-related biopics, especially ones that freely take liberties with their source. (The vastly superior) "Ed Wood" and "Shadow Of The Vampire" rank high on my list of this little genre of films. "Hitchcock" seems to stick fairly close to its subject,-that is, Alfred Hitchcock's life and relationship with his wife Alma during the production of the movie "Psycho." Marital problems and the occasional brief fantasy sequence involving notorious serial killer Ed Gein (the inspiration for Psycho) that seem to intrude upon Hitchcock's mind through the film are emphasized to make the story a bit more entertaining but imo, the Gein stuff is a ham-fisted artistic misfire. I did like the intro and outro bits where "Hitchcock" directly speaks to the viewers in the fashion of his old tv show. The movie really rises or falls on Anthony Hopkins ample shoulders and I thought his portrayal was a mixed bag at times bordering on unintentional parody. Probably the most interesting actor was James D'Arcy who played a disturbingly neurotic Anthony Perkins.

The transfer looks good, nothing really spectacular given the subject and the way it was filmed. Some of the dark scenes notably the Ed Gein "dream" bits are a bit too murky, imo. Sound is also pretty routine although given the fact that this is a dialog-driven film, the vox are very well presented unlike many recent home video releases which seem to have the dialog mixed a bit too low in proportion and too dryly center channel-specific in relation to the rest of the soundtrack.

For most people, undoubtably a rental, not a blind buy.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Hitch was a control freak, willing to go to great lengths to make himself look good...
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_515_if-iconic-photos-were-touched-up-by-modern-magazines_p19/#16

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page