What does this icon represent (on back of Finding Nemo BD)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
oryan_dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18


Saw this, don't know what it represents. I couldn't find this logo after quite a bit of google searching.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
oryan_dunn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vlad Theimpaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not 100% certain, but I believe that it denotes the availability of "Descriptive Audio" for the blind and visually impaired. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Vlad Theimpaler is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Not 100% certain, but I believe that it denotes the availability of "Descriptive Audio" for the blind and visually impaired. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Almost correct.

It's called "Descriptive Video", not "Descriptive Audio". In other words, it describes what you're supposed to be seeing in the video.

It's like having a person watching the movie with you, telling you everything that is happening visually.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cinema Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Almost correct.
It's called "Descriptive Video", not "Descriptive Audio". In other words, it describes what you're supposed to be seeing in the video.
It's like having a person watching the movie with you, telling you everything that is happening visually.

That's correct. The full term is Descriptive Video Service (DVS) and it should show up as an option when you first pop-in the Finding Nemo disc.

However, I think this is grammatically incorrect and would prefer the term "descriptive audio". Descriptive is an adjective - it is the audio that is being descriptive and the video that is being described, thus it should be "descriptive audio service" or "video description service". Oh well...
Cinema Squid is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
oryan_dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks, I would never have figured that out.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
oryan_dunn is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Partyslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is there a list somewhere on this site or somewhere on the web that lists *all* blu-rays released so far that include a Descriptive Video Service (DVS) track?
Partyslammer is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cinema Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Is there a list somewhere on this site or somewhere on the web that lists *all* blu-rays released so far that include a Descriptive Video Service (DVS) track?

It's far from complete, but here is the list that I have:
http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/specs?audio-type=descriptive

Same list filtered to just US releases:
http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/specs?audio-type=descriptive&release-country=us
Cinema Squid is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Partyslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

It's far from complete, but here is the list that I have:
http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/specs?audio-type=descriptive
Same list filtered to just US releases:
http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/specs?audio-type=descriptive&release-country=us

Thanks for the link. Nice site, btw.

It's funny, several Blu-rays that I have that include a DVS track I like listening to as almost background chatter when I have trouble sleeping late at night or when I'm working or reading. It's like someone reading the script to me like an audio book.
Partyslammer is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Jamie E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd heard about DVS before, but reading this thread made me really contemplate it. I assume that if I were blind I'd get much more entertainment out of an audio book than a movie with a DVS track. But I suppose DVS would be really useful in allowing the blind to "watch" a movie together with others who can see.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

Jamie E is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

I'd heard about DVS before, but reading this thread made me really contemplate it. I assume that if I were blind I'd get much more entertainment out of an audio book than a movie with a DVS track. But I suppose DVS would be really useful in allowing the blind to "watch" a movie together with others who can see.
What would be cool is, since the current players are all network connected at this point and now often have things like Bluetooth connectivity, if they could use that tech to be able to send that audio channel to a set of WiFi or Bluetooth headphones so someone could hear it without everyone hearing it.
NetworkTV is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off