Samsara - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First review up on what is reportedly 'the' new go-to demo disc ... surpassing 'Baraka' in both content and image quality -- can't wait !

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Samsara-Blu-ray/51257/#Review

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Screencaps look pretty spectacular. Missed this in theaters, so can't wait to check it out.
(Though the unfortunate thing is that there's no reason this should've surpassed Baraka if they did that transfer right, for the purposes of blu-ray the only difference should be a bit more visible grain in the darker scenes...)
post #3 of 51 Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Image quality is better than all before it, in my opinion. Its incredible, despite a few rough spots for me personally.
post #4 of 51 Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Wow the screen caps look awesome!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 51 Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Baraka never was a reference disc despite the hype when it was released. Samsara is another story. The 65mm original has detail beyond 4K and the 1080p is always at (or over) the edge of aliasing trying to cram as much detail into the pixels as possible. The 4K has the same problem. Samsara is only fully resolved at 8K.
post #6 of 51 Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Baraka never was a reference disc despite the hype when it was released. Samsara is another story. The 65mm original has detail beyond 4K and the 1080p is always at (or over) the edge of aliasing trying to cram as much detail into the pixels as possible. The 4K has the same problem. Samsara is only fully resolved at 8K.

65mm is well over 4k, and Baraka was sharpened to hell
post #7 of 51 Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw Samsara in the theater (with Sony 4K SXRD) and it was spectacular.
post #8 of 51 Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

I always wondered where does all that detail go from a 8K scan to bluray. That's alot of missing information. Not to mention compression.

I like how the cover says "8K ultra digital HD" it's still 1080p.

home theater addict
post #9 of 51 Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I watched this last night, it looks amazing. If you like the Ron Fricke 'Quatsi' films, don't miss it.

In terms of similar demo material, I'd also recommend Timescapes, which has its own thread in this forum. Some stunning footage there as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 51 Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

If you like the Ron Fricke 'Quatsi' films, don't miss it.

To clarify, all three of the Qatsi films were directed by Godfrey Reggio. Ron Fricke was the cinematographer on Koyaanisqatsi, but had nothing to do with the two sequels. He later branched off on his own to direct the IMAX documentary Chronos, Baraka, and now Samsara. All are available on Blu-ray.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #11 of 51 Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I picked this up last week, and sampled some of scenes. It is breathtakingly beautiful. The colors are outstanding. This is the kind movie where you don't even take your eyes off the screen at all.
post #12 of 51 Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw it, loved the PQ. Though I felt the PQ in TimeScapes was alot more stunning.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #13 of 51 Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Saw it, loved the PQ. Though I felt the PQ in TimeScapes was alot more stunning.
Can't agree. Samsara is far better a film than Timescapes and also visually ahead, as far as I'm concerned.
post #14 of 51 Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't agree. Samsara is far better a film than Timescapes and also visually ahead, as far as I'm concerned.

Than we shall agree to disagree!!

I just felt some scenes in TimeScapes looked better (SOME)
Overall Samsara was the better film and had alot more scenes that looked awesome!

Either way both to me were alot better in PQ than Baraka's transfer.

post #15 of 51 Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I'm assuming that Timescapes was all digital, and it definitely has a different look. I give Samsara the edge, but it's a pretty fine distinction. Some members here hate the way high end digital footage looks.

post #16 of 51 Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

I'm assuming that Timescapes was all digital, and it definitely has a different look. I give Samsara the edge, but it's a pretty fine distinction. Some members here hate the way high end digital footage looks.

For me, I like the look of digital for documentaries while film for well...I guess you can call it films?

post #17 of 51 Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The Samsara master has more detail than the Timescapes master although in 1080p it's about the same. As a film Samsara has a narrative concept beyond pretty pictures that invites to interpret, compare, draw conclusions, gain insight and, potentially, change some of your views or actions in daily life. I see little to none of that (in ambition or execution) in Timescapes.
post #18 of 51 Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Samsara master has more detail than the Timescapes master although in 1080p it's about the same. As a film Samsara has a narrative concept beyond pretty pictures that invites to interpret, compare, draw conclusions, gain insight and, potentially, change some of your views or actions in daily life. I see little to none of that (in ambition or execution) in Timescapes.

It's interesting how controversial it can be to simply present reality, with no commentary or slant at all, just what any pair of eyes can see.

post #19 of 51 Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Just watched this film......stunning and thought provoking! I'll definately add this to my collection. Like others said, if you like the Qatsi trilogy, check this out.

post #20 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Having seen this on opening day in a 70mm print, not digital, in Los Angeles, it was certainly stunning to see. Content wise, I felt that it was second to Baraka and by a far margin. It didn't run very long and at the most seemed to have a two week run. At that particular screening the director and producer were present and commented about the film. One thing that they said was quite amusing: in the shots where the face is shot head on and there is no blinking, the subject was told not to blink, as long as possible, which meant that this documentary in those particular sequences was choreographed.
post #21 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Having seen this on opening day in a 70mm print, not digital, in Los Angeles, it was certainly stunning to see. Content wise, I felt that it was second to Baraka and by a far margin. It didn't run very long and at the most seemed to have a two week run. At that particular screening the director and producer were present and commented about the film.

I'm surprised that there were any 70mm prints of this. I was under the impression that it was only distributed digitally. I saw the premiere at the Toronto Film Festival a couple years ago, which was projected in 4k digital.
Quote:
One thing that they said was quite amusing: in the shots where the face is shot head on and there is no blinking, the subject was told not to blink, as long as possible, which meant that this documentary in those particular sequences was choreographed.

I wouldn't call any of these movies (Qatsi trilogy, Chronos, Baraka or this one) "documentaries." They are non-narrative films, but countless scenes are staged and choreographed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #22 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
The post process of Samsara was done on a DI. If there are any 70mm prints of this it is printed from the DI.
According to the discussion under this article about The Master there has been no 70mm print of Samsara.

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/jason-gorbers-cineruminations-70mm-4k-and-the-master-split-personality.html

Neither does IMDb note any 70mm prints; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770802/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
post #23 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Do people think Samsara surpasses The Master's picture quality? I understand the visual narrative aspect to it produces a completely different feel, but in terms of pure resolution and detail?

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #24 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Do people think Samsara surpasses The Master's picture quality? I understand the visual narrative aspect to it produces a completely different feel, but in terms of pure resolution and detail?

I was definitely more impressed with Samsara.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #25 of 51 Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

The post process of Samsara was done on a DI. If there are any 70mm prints of this it is printed from the DI.
According to the discussion under this article about The Master there has been no 70mm print of Samsara.

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/jason-gorbers-cineruminations-70mm-4k-and-the-master-split-personality.html

Neither does IMDb note any 70mm prints; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770802/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Obviously, the one in the know was not in Los Angeles when it was run for one week as a 70mm print at The Landmark in West Los Angeles and advertised as such.
post #26 of 51 Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Obviously, the one in the know was not in Los Angeles when it was run for one week as a 70mm print at The Landmark in West Los Angeles and advertised as such.
Before you claim to be "in the know" you should bring some proof that it really was a 70mm print.
It is possible you think you where "in the know" and thought it was a 70mm print, but was not aware that the projection was really a 4K digital projection.

There are nowhere on the net with any information about a 70mm print of Samsara. There are however full of information from people that are disappointed that there will not be any 70mm screening for the movie.
If somebody struck a 70mm print for Samsara it would be worse than a 4K digital copy or a real 70mm print because it had to be laser printed from the digital source.
There is no edit of Samsara negatives so it is not possible to strike a 70mm positive print of the movie without do a edit of the negatives first.

Note from Mark Magidson on 70mm film, Digital Projection, and Samsara
Here he confirm there will be no 70mm print of the movie.
Quote:
Facebook Friday, August 31, 2012; SAMSARA Opening Night LOS ANGELES, CA
SAMSARA screening in gorgeous 4k at Los Angeles' The Landmark. Don't miss!

Note; see the comments.

One more......
Quote:
I got a chance this morning to talk briefly with Samsara director Ron Fricke and his primary collaborator, producer/co-author Mark Magidson.

They made the controversial decision to skip the expected 70mm prints "after seeing it projected in 4K. All the fidelity of the 65mm negative was there. It’s rock steady, and never gets scratched. There’s a dimension to it that’s unique."

Personally, I wish they had made one or two 70mm prints.

http://bayflicks.net/2012/09/07/more-on-samsara-70mm-and-4k-digital-projection/

I think this is enough to prove that there never was and never will be a 70mm print of Samsara. cool.gif
post #27 of 51 Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Before you claim to be "in the know" you should bring some proof that it really was a 70mm print.
It is possible you think you where "in the know" and thought it was a 70mm print, but was not aware that the projection was really a 4K digital projection.

There are nowhere on the net with any information about a 70mm print of Samsara. There are however full of information from people that are disappointed that there will not be any 70mm screening for the movie.
If somebody struck a 70mm print for Samsara it would be worse than a 4K digital copy or a real 70mm print because it had to be laser printed from the digital source.
There is no edit of Samsara negatives so it is not possible to strike a 70mm positive print of the movie without do a edit of the negatives first.

Note from Mark Magidson on 70mm film, Digital Projection, and Samsara
Here he confirm there will be no 70mm print of the movie.
One more......
I think this is enough to prove that there never was and never will be a 70mm print of Samsara. cool.gif

It is very expensive to show a 70mm print. They've already scanned the 70mm print to 8K and mastered it in 4K to show it on projection. Why would they spend more money on shipping the 70mm reels when they can send a hard drive with the footage which in my opinion, no one will ever see the difference.

Get all your A/V News at:

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #28 of 51 Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM

My copy is arriving today! Can’t wait to see it!

I wasn’t stunned by The Master while mentioning it. It was OK, but I didn’t perceive it as having any really stunning visual elements if that was intended. Not that it was bad either; just not particularly visually stimulating to me personally.

I’m gathering that is not the case with this film though.
post #29 of 51 Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Watched this and my copy of Lawrence of Arabia that came in over the weekend. I can appreciate all the work they put into it and it has some stunning visuals. My impression was that this would probably really be better appreciated on either a really, really big screen at home or in the theater. I don’t think my 50” really showed off the detail that it had to offer.

It was an interesting trip around the world though and I came away feeling a little more cultured and aware.
post #30 of 51 Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I would like to get this film, as I already own Baraka (I had a dvd of it back in 2000, now bluray). I'm a music composer for various Docs and such, so it will be interesting to hear how the music holds up to the stunning visuals.....if you guys like this film, or 'nature music videos', then check out my YouTube channel! Video is shot mostly 1080P with color correction, and the videographer/editor is my Twin wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/tlhproductions

PM me for feedback cool.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Samsara Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Samsara by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page