Schindler's List - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's coming, on March 5 in the US. (Amazon has a pre-order up.)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10259

The only announced bonus features (thus far, anyway) appear to be
Quote:
Voices from the List: Featuring documentary with testimonies from those who survived the Holocaust thanks to Oskar Schindler.
USC Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg: The director shows how filming Schindler's list inspired him to establish the USC Shoah Foundation.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Wow...finally!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have to put my hands up and admit Ive never seen this film. I might have to look into blind buying this.

Frank

post #4 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's an incredible film, Franin, but it's...hmm...let's just say that you will probably want to go for a walk or something after you see it. It's draining, in a way that only a few other films really match.

post #5 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

It's an incredible film, Franin, but it's...hmm...let's just say that you will probably want to go for a walk or something after you see it. It's draining, in a way that only a few other films really match.

Thanks Bill. Definitley got me interested.

Frank

post #6 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks Bill. Definitley got me interested.

Schindler's List is simply the only film I want to own about this subject.
post #7 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Wow...finally!!
Exactly. I've been waiting on this one.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #8 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
WOW finally. Must own!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9 of 38 Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
d80c4c238714080.jpg 5af2cf238714095.jpg
post #10 of 38 Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM
CIH USER

I watched it last night for the first time, what a movie. Spielberg did an amazing job with this film, really makes you feel for the Polish-Jewish people. I thought the Pianist was good but I know now why this is better. Liam, Ralph and Ben did an outstanding job. One part I have to say I was absolutely shocked seeing the people getting burned and dumped just like garbage and having that man laughing well its just pure Evil. This movie ( for me ) made me question things in life, still in shock as to why this was allowed to happen.

Frank

post #11 of 38 Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I watched it last night for the first time, what a movie. Spielberg did an amazing job with this film, really makes you feel for the Polish-Jewish people. I thought the Pianist was good but I know now why this is better. Liam, Ralph and Ben did an outstanding job. One part I have to say I was absolutely shocked seeing the people getting burned and dumped just like garbage and having that man laughing well its just pure Evil. This movie ( for me ) made me question things in life, still in shock as to why this was allowed to happen.

Same here,I'd never seen it (ashamed to say) but I felt that it would have been too depressing to watch but found it to be just the opposite. The BD looked excellect overall. Ken Whitcomb has calibrated a setting for black and white for me, since I watch so many older films, which is just gorgeous.It was interesting to see one of the suitcases being hauled away from Jews being told their belongings would be delivered later with the name Sonnenschein on it.

Anyway, I enjoyed both the BD and the film here and would recommend it on both fronts.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #12 of 38 Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Jeez Art, I'm a bit surprised.
In many ways this has been my favorite Spielberg film because of the lack of sentimentality.
IMO, this is the finest work that Ralph Fiennes ever did.
Truly a great film.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #13 of 38 Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Now... like I said before, Schindler's List is still the only film I want to own about this subject. Simply because I don't need movies to learn about it. But this one stands out. How it's made, how it's told, how it's played. Simply put an excellent, a truly excellent movie. And that's all I have to say about that.
post #14 of 38 Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 AM
CIH USER

I like the Pianist as well. I thought it told the story quite well too.

Frank

post #15 of 38 Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Jeez Art, I'm a bit surprised.
In many ways this has been my favorite Spielberg film because of the lack of sentimentality.
IMO, this is the finest work that Ralph Fiennes ever did.
Truly a great film.
It's sometimes amazing what Spielberg can do when the sentimentality is stripped out. Too many of his otherwise good films are marred by pointless scenes that damage the integrity of the story for the sake of making mass audiences feel a bit more cheerful at the end of the film.

Just think about how much better even a film like War of the Worlds would have been if the nonsense with the son hadn't taken place.

Schindler's List is a harrowing film that also manages to be life affirming and it's in large part because it's devoid of any schmaltzy cruft.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know about lack of sentimentality. That whole "But I could have saved more! With this watch! How many more?" Didn't happen. And really felt forced and sentimental. To me.
post #17 of 38 Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If it had come anywhere other than at the end of the movie I'd probably agree. That said, and as much as I adored it (considering), the girl in the red coat was an order of magnitude more manipulatively sentimental than the entire "I could have saved more" bit...not saying it didn't work in the context of the film, IMO, just that it was more deliberate than nearly anything else in it.

post #18 of 38 Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it had come anywhere other than at the end of the movie I'd probably agree. That said, and as much as I adored it (considering), the girl in the red coat was an order of magnitude more manipulatively sentimental than the entire "I could have saved more" bit...not saying it didn't work in the context of the film, IMO, just that it was more deliberate than nearly anything else in it.

Yes but like you said it works. She's the symbol of hope and innocence, lost in the middle of the atrocity of war. She's poignant, not cheesy.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

I don't know about lack of sentimentality. That whole "But I could have saved more! With this watch! How many more?" Didn't happen. And really felt forced and sentimental. To me.
Boy do I ever agree with you here. When I found out that scene never happened (Schindler was a bit more callous in real life than in the movie especially where money was concerned) it put a big damper on the film for me even though I enjoyed it immensely. Gotten used to Spielberg throwing in one overly-sentimental scene into a lot of his films that just make you scratch your head and wonder why he did it. As for the girl in the red coat, my take on that was that it showed when Schindler changed his mind about not doing something to help instead if just sitting back and watching when he saw her body on the cart.

post #20 of 38 Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Yeah, that scene is the only major fault I have with the movie. I was waiting for him to bring up the gold in his fillings...and perhaps some duplicate organs he could sell for quick cash...

Other than that, the film is a masterpiece.

post #21 of 38 Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Boy do I ever agree with you here. When I found out that scene never happened (Schindler was a bit more callous in real life than in the movie especially where money was concerned) it put a big damper on the film for me even though I enjoyed it immensely. Gotten used to Spielberg throwing in one overly-sentimental scene into a lot of his films that just make you scratch your head and wonder why he did it. As for the girl in the red coat, my take on that was that it showed when Schindler changed his mind about not doing something to help instead if just sitting back and watching when he saw her body on the cart.
I can't really argue with this stuff.

IMO, there is some "sentimentalism" in the movie beyond the mere telling of the story.
Where and what seems to be a matter of opinion.

Would SL have been a better movie without it?
Maybe....

Would it have been a more powerful movie?
I doubt it...

YMMV.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #22 of 38 Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
C'mon guys. This is the least sentimental movie Spielberg has made so far.
I didn't say there wasn't dramatic license or invention.
It's a film right? wink.gif

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #23 of 38 Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

C'mon guys. This is the least sentimental movie Spielberg has made so far.
I didn't say there wasn't dramatic license or invention.
It's a film right? wink.gif

I wouldn't say that but this one really worked. It was nothing like War Horse, which was just Ridiculously melodramatic s@&$. Hard to watch because of it.
post #24 of 38 Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

It was nothing like War Horse, which was just Ridiculously melodramatic s@&$. Hard to watch because of it.
I couldn't get more than an 1/2 hour in....

post #25 of 38 Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

I wouldn't say that but this one really worked. It was nothing like War Horse, which was just Ridiculously melodramatic s@&$. Hard to watch because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I couldn't get more than an 1/2 hour in....

I actually didn't mind it I thought it was quite good.

Frank

post #26 of 38 Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I actually didn't mind it I thought it was quite good.

I don't like watching some horse get torn up, set to a John Williams score. That's not dramatic it's just manipulative.
post #27 of 38 Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 264
All posts not discussing the movie have been removed, which is most of the thread, I'm afraid. Honestly, AVS is not the place to discuss whether the Holocaust was real or any other conspiracy theories. While some room is given to discuss historical events that a film is based on, this went WAY out of hand. Members who insulted other members, made potentially racist comments or contributed nothing to the thread can no longer post here. Tempted to just lock the thread. PM me if you want to appeal the ban.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #28 of 38 Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Incredible film with exceptional B&W photography, but I really do not think I could sit through it again. I saw it in theaters and it ripped me apart. Later I watched it (I believe) on laserdisc and that was it.

The screen grabs I am seeing look film like. My memory is too far gone to remember how large or fine the grain was, but it certainly was not a glossy looking picture.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #29 of 38 Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Yeah, that scene is the only major fault I have with the movie. I was waiting for him to bring up the gold in his fillings...and perhaps some duplicate organs he could sell for quick cash...

Other than that, the film is a masterpiece.

I'm coming to this late, but +1. I thought about posting the very same criticism when someone else posted that this film was Spielberg's least sentimental, or words to that effect. That may be true, but he did manage to "Spielberg" even this one. He did it with that "I could have done more" bogus and uncharacteristic scene at the train, and he did it with the red coat on the little girl. To me, those detract seriously from the impact of the film and are unnecessary devices designed to appeal to sentiment.

The facts and the story stand on their own, in this instance. No embellishment is needed or warranted.

Frankly, as riveting and as moving as the story and film proper were, I was far more moved, and stunned even, at the coda to the film: the in color footage of the real life Schindler Jews and their descendants each taking their turn to place a stone on Schindler's grave. Without words, with that single action standing alone but in context, that coda drove home the powerful message that each of those persons understood and acknowledged that he or she literally owed their lives to Oskar Schindler's efforts to save them from the death camps. I think including that footage was brilliance on Spielberg's part. It moved me to tears. I wish he had had the good sense to leave out the manipulative red coat and "I could have done more" nonsense. To me, those stain his otherwise flawless masterpiece of a film.
post #30 of 38 Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I'm coming to this late, but +1. I thought about posting the very same criticism when someone else posted that this film was Spielberg's least sentimental, or words to that effect. That may be true, but he did manage to "Spielberg" even this one. He did it with that "I could have done more" bogus and uncharacteristic scene at the train, and he did it with the red coat on the little girl. To me, those detract seriously from the impact of the film and are unnecessary devices designed to appeal to sentiment.

The facts and the story stand on their own, in this instance. No embellishment is needed or warranted.

Frankly, as riveting and as moving as the story and film proper were, I was far more moved, and stunned even, at the coda to the film: the in color footage of the real life Schindler Jews and their descendants each taking their turn to place a stone on Schindler's grave. Without words, with that single action standing alone but in context, that coda drove home the powerful message that each of those persons understood and acknowledged that he or she literally owed their lives to Oskar Schindler's efforts to save them from the death camps. I think including that footage was brilliance on Spielberg's part. It moved me to tears. I wish he had had the good sense to leave out the manipulative red coat and "I could have done more" nonsense. To me, those stain his otherwise flawless masterpiece of a film.
+1

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page