AVS Forum banner

Holy Motors - 2/26/13

464 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Greg_R_STL 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Just shipped today, so I'll have it on the 4th.

#3 ·
Got it last night. In some ways, Holy Motors is the very definition of French Art Film, so some people will hate it out of hand. I liked it, but didn't love it. It's the kind of film that sparks ideas, and gives you things to think about afterwards. There are a few pretty stunning shots that might slip into your dreams. It takes its time in telling you what it's about, so some patience is required. If the trailer does it for you, I'd say go for it:

One thing's for sure, it made me want to track down anything Denis Lavant (the lead actor) has ever done. He's amazing.

If you happen to be an R.L. Burnside fan as I am, there's a very nice surprise in the middle of the film.

In terms of transfer quality, I detected no issues. The whole film has a bit of a washed out look that's clearly intentional. The sound is adequate to the purpose.

#5 ·
What I'm referring to is very straightforward: scrub through the Youtube video embedded above. Especially as shown on all the outdoor day shots, it's plain that the filmmakers wanted a slightly green tinted look that in most cases, doesn't go to full white or full black. The blu ray reflects the look they wanted. That's all I'm saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.