Taken 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I was finally able to check out this film on Blu-ray as I missed it in the theater. I was underwhelmed but the film to say the least. As for the Blu-ray, it is another example of the seemingly unrelenting teal fad that infects too many films IMHO. On the plus side, it is not as bad on most films. Blacks are great and detail is for the most part excellent, although there are spots in the film that are a tad soft. Very good but not reference. The audio presentation is superb, in terms of overall fidelity, immersion and dynamics. The film itself is poorly put together, with tons of editing errors. Too many quick edits too, to spice up the fight sequences and hide the inconsistencies in the chase sequences. The plot? Well, there really isn't one. The film is just one fight and chase scene after another. Rather mindless stuff. As someone who has spent a good deal of time in Istanbul, it is a real shame that more of the city isn't featured here. There are toms of great locales there that could have been used. It looks like they used about 2 blocks of the city for filming. There is also no US Embassy in Istanbul as it is not the capital of Turkey, Ankara is. There is a US Consulate in Istanbul, although it is a large one and very well fortified, as most are there. I was expecting a ton more from this film.An opportunity missed IMHO, although the video and audio should be more than pleasing to fans of the film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is there an unrated cut? There were obvious things that were removed for the sake of keeping it at a PG-13 rating (not necessarily saying these parts were filmed, but they certainly went out of their way to censor actions which should have had a bit more).

I'll be buying it later this week when I have the time to go. I enjoyed it in theaters. Wasn't a big fan of Neeson yelling "GO FASTER!" over and over during one of the car chase sequences though.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I bought it yesterday and indeed there's an unrated cut. Which is the one I watched. The Blu-ray includes the theatrical cut as well but I don't know the difference between the two, I didn't see it in theaters. The unrated might have a few more bloody shots but to be honest there's nothing that really strikes me as "oh this is why this scene was cut!". But in short, yes, both cuts are there. I enjoyed the film, yet the first one was better. And more Famke Janssen wouldn't have hurt wink.gif
post #4 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Taxis can dodge anti-tank guns at close range, no matter how crap a driver you are.

The only thing taken this time, was 80 odd mins, that I'll never get back.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Hopefully I should recieve it Monday.

Frank
post #6 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
CIH USER

Got it today, even better. Will watch tonight

Frank
post #7 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Watching it, the unrated cut, and...theres a little noise in the picture. Can't tell if its the TV, blu ray player, or disc. Hard to explain, but there's some weird grainy pixel stuff going on. You can really see it in dark or dark colored areas.vI'm gonna check the theatrical version and see of its there too. I'm shocked because reviews are calling it a near flawless picture...
post #8 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching it, fantastic film I really enjoyed this as a sequel.

Frank
post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Hmmm... I found it an unimaginative sequel. Dull. I thought the first one was so much better and suspenseful. Too many guns. The killings in the first film were far more hand to hand type and bone crushing. The story here was like.. who cares? Not much suspense when getting an ex-wife back is at stake:D!!! Felt like a bad attempt at a money grab

Much grain in the picture. Not a bad picture but not awesome and audio was a bit above average (not so much deep bass).

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25

I watched this a few days ago, and now I can't remember a thing from the movie.

post #11 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That's a positive thing, lol
post #12 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hmmm... I found it an unimaginative sequel. Dull. I thought the first one was so much better and suspenseful. Too many guns. The killings in the first film were far more hand to hand type and bone crushing. The story here was like.. who cares? Not much suspense when getting an ex-wife back is at stake:D!!! Felt like a bad attempt at a money grab

Much grain in the picture. Not a bad picture but not awesome and audio was a bit above average (not so much deep bass).

I too am getting a grainy effect that really sticks out in the dark colored scenes. I checked the theatrical and unrated versions and that grain is still there...when I fast forward,the ENTIRE image is full of grain. The fast forwarded/rewind image on my blue rays have always been clear.

Oh well...something bizarre going on with the video, but the movie was action packed and entertaining. Whenever Liam shot somebody down, they made sure to put in a thudding sound so you know the guy dropped biggrin.gif!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I too am getting a grainy effect that really sticks out in the dark colored scenes. I checked the theatrical and unrated versions and that grain is still there...when I fast forward,the ENTIRE image is full of grain. The fast forwarded/rewind image on my blue rays have always been clear.

I should also mention that the grain ISNT in the previews and menu screen on the disc. So its not the TV, player, or disc, but the film itself.

Oh well...something bizarre going on with the video, but the movie was action packed and entertaining. Whenever Liam shot somebody down, they made sure to put in a thudding sound so you know the guy dropped biggrin.gif!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
An odd choice for an ending...the family had just been through hell, Liam and his wife were almost killed...and they end the movie with them at a restaurant looking like they just came from Disney World biggrin.gif!! No signs of trauma from their ordeal...if all you saw was that last scene, you would have never knew that Liam and his wife and daughter narrowly escaped death, gunning down 15 men to do it biggrin.gif!
post #14 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

I should also mention that the grain ISNT in the previews and menu screen on the disc. So its not the TV, player, or disc, but the film itself.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
An odd choice for an ending...the family had just been through hell, Liam and his wife were almost killed...and they end the movie with them at a restaurant looking like they just came from Disney World biggrin.gif!! No signs of trauma from their ordeal...if all you saw was that last scene, you would have never knew that Liam and his wife and daughter narrowly escaped death, gunning down 15 men to do it biggrin.gif!

No difference from the first where at the end she took singing lessons from that pop singer. She seemed to come out of ok smile.gif

Frank
post #15 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone having playback issues? I've encountered my first with the PS3 Super Slim. Right at 55 minutes, 11 seconds, the BD freezes up. I've tried to replay it a few times and it will not get past that point. There's hasn't been a new PS3 firmware in a while. Hopefully one is on the way that may clear this up. I'm going to try it on my LG.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

anyone having playback issues? I've encountered my first with the PS3 Super Slim. Right at 55 minutes, 11 seconds, the BD freezes up. I've tried to replay it a few times and it will not get past that point. There's hasn't been a new PS3 firmware in a while. Hopefully one is on the way that may clear this up. I'm going to try it on my LG.

No problems here. I have a Fatty 40GB PS3 model.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page