Local blu ray rip streaming issue on WDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK sorry if this is the wrong forum but I really don't know what is causing this issue hopefully someone has an idea of what it is regardless of whether it is fixable or not.
So let me begin by starting with my hardware setup:
WDTV live
Panasonic VT50
Seagate 3TB drive connected via USB to the WDTV
LG blu ray drive on computer

I use makemkv to rip blu rays on my mac. I just leave them alone after ripping and copy them to the hard drive without compressing them with handbrake or whatever. Full length movies are anywhere between 15-35 GB ballpark depending on length and other factors that I am not familiar with.

Anyway, the issue: it appears to be related to frame rate. It is hard to explain in words, but with the harry potter movies I notice a frame rate "hiccup". It looks like what we might refer to as brief "stutter" or "judder" but it's very recent that I've noticed it and it ONLY happens on the harry potter movies believe it or not (at least as far as I can see with my limited movie collection).
If someone has blu ray harry potter rips and can play them on the WDTV can you see if you see a lot of studdering in sorcerer's stone at approximately 1hr.07min.30sec during the halloween feast. the lightning causes all sorts of weird judder. It doesn't seem to follow a pattern or anything, and my WDTV seems to be outputting the correct 24p rate ( and the TV is set to the 96hz mode to deal with it).

I know it's just the harry potter movies so far but I'd like to isolate the issue. if someone has any suggestions to try, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just want to add that I've seen frame rate "judder" from mismatched 24p/60hz streams and though this sort of appear like it, is much more intermittent and not as drastic. it almost seems like the WDTV can't "keep up" with the stream for a split second. It also seems to happen a lot between camera changes, just as it is changing. if anyone has any idea, any at all that i can try i'd appreciate it.
I've tried changing force changing the frame rate on the WDTV and the VT50 and neither made any difference. Funny thing is that the files play fine through the exact USB cable on my computer using VLC so i know it probably isn't the rip causing problems...
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have not noticed any judder on my WDTV but I use my BD player for BDs rather then pushing the WDTV to it's limits. I suspect the device is gimped internally to 100 mbps which is just barely enough for 1080p and causes sluggish response.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try and test a few higher bit rate BD rips in my drive to see if i notice anything. Actually, if the WDTV is truely limited to 100mbps that should be plenty to deal with these uncompressed rips. These files are somewhere in the 20-25mbps range according the file specs.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilago View Post

I'll try and test a few higher bit rate BD rips in my drive to see if i notice anything. Actually, if the WDTV is truely limited to 100mbps that should be plenty to deal with these uncompressed rips. These files are somewhere in the 20-25mbps range according the file specs.

The pipeline you are talking about is not just a one-way lane with no 'check points'. I can tell you from personal experience working in a company that went from 100mbps network to 1 gigabit there is a big difference access wise especially with hirez images. Even with a USB drive attached to my WDTV there is a lag when reading directories.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I might try and take a video of this and post it. i have looked at several other movies on my drive and none of them experience this. It must be something enherent to the HP movies..
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
100Mbps LAN is more than sufficient, but is irrelevant since you're connecting via USB 2.0. Either way is more than sufficient bandwidth for even the maximum combined video/audio bit rate spikes of Blu-ray.

Since you have already successfully tested the MKV and drive on another device, we can assume the problem likely stems from the WDL itself. According to this thread, changing the firmware solved the problem for some people.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Large-high-bitrate-MVK-s-stutter/td-p/251290/page/2
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I will try that, but if it were a firmware issue, i would expect all the files to be affected similarly
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilago View Post

I will try that, but if it were a firmware issue, i would expect all the files to be affected similarly

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know what the problem is, just offering up a solution that seemed to work for some others. I don't own a WDL, so I can't test anything for you, unfortunately. Blu-ray can use varying bit rates for multiple video codecs and audio codecs. Lots of combinations and potential for bit rate spikes that might just push the boundaries of what the player may be capable of, depending upon how the firmware is programmed to buffer the stream or perhaps the firmware has trouble keeping in sync worse than another.

I believe there is an official WDL thread on AVS if you haven't already checked it...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page