Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 320
March 19th - preorder is up.

An adaptation of the successful stage musical based on Victor Hugo's classic novel set in 19th-century France, in which a paroled prisoner named Jean Valjean seeks redemption.

...I haven't seen it in theaters, and not being a great fan of musicals, I'm not sure about a blind buy either. Which doesn't mean I won't see it of course... Hopefully it will sound great wink.gif

Blu-ray EXCLUSIVES:

• Les Misérables Singing Live: The star-studded cast and production team discuss how the daunting challenge of singing live rather than lip-syncing to pre-recorded tracks ultimately gave them the creative freedom to deliver nuanced, emotionally powerful performances.
  • Battle at the Barricade: Director Tom Hooper wanted the dramatic building of the barricade to be as visceral and intense as possible, so he had his actors build it in real time, literally hurling furniture out of windows to construct an actual barricade. This featurette takes an in-depth look at the creation and filming of all the action on this remarkable set.
  • The West End Connection: Meet the “godfather” of the original stage production of Les Misérables, renowned West End producer Cameron Mackintosh, who was deeply involved in the filming, as well as former Les Misérables, theatrical stars who were thrilled to appear in supporting roles in the current film.
  • Les Misérables on Location: Filming rather than staging Les Misérables presents the opportunity to shoot in real world locations: a massive dry dock on the coast of England, a beautiful underground chapel in the heart of London and the ancient city of Winchester. Members of the cast and crew talk about what it was like to find and work in these incredible locations.
  • Other bonus materials:
  • The Stars of Les Misérables: Director Tom Hooper talks about casting the iconic characters, and the actors discuss why it was important to them to be a part of this groundbreaking version of Les Misérables.
  • Creating the Perfect Paris: Production designer Eve Stewart created a massive Paris set featuring real cobblestones and running water. Take an intricate look into the detailed recreation of these Paris streets that no longer exist in today’s world.
  • The Original Masterwork: Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables: This mini-documentary takes a look at the historical backdrop and universal themes of Hugo’s classic, and how the filmmakers mined the novel to enrich the look and feel of the film.
  • Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Everyone I've talked to loved the movie and remarked that the singing and acting were excellent. They chose actors who could actually carry a tune rather than relying on known box-office stars lip syncing to someone else's vocals (unlike some musical films of the past). We all know that Hugh Jackman is a song and dance man (long before his action movie rolls) and Russell Crowe has a rock band in Australia, but the rest of the all-star cast has a musical background too.

I saw Les Mis on Broadway with the original BW cast... it's an exceptional musical (more like an English language opera). On par with the best of Lerner and Lowe, Rogers and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc. Tom Hooper, who directed the film (and The Damned United and The King's Speech), usually does a bang up job and gets the most from his actors.

It's not a rental... it's a must buy for sure!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I could not disagree more. Everyone I saw it with thought it was at best passable. First, not all the singing was great. Anne Hathaway was adequate at best and Russell Crowe despite being in a rock band was abysmal. Hugh Jackman was the best, but he was far from great. If you want to hear how well the songs can be sung watch the 25th anniversary version that was in the O2 center in London. Even Jackman pales in comparison, and no one else comes close (except for the woman who plays Eponine who was the same in the movie and 25th anniversary edition). Even separate from that is the poor staging, the abysmal close ups during the singing (which multiple critics remarked on), and the acting in general.

I am glad I saw the movie because it is a spectacular play with incredible music. I can't imagine I will ever see it again. It is certainly at best a rental and definitely NOT a blind buy.

SMK
post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Everyone I've talked to loved the movie and remarked that the singing and acting were excellent. They chose actors who could actually carry a tune rather than relying on known box-office stars lip syncing to someone else's vocals (unlike some musical films of the past). We all know that Hugh Jackman is a song and dance man (long before his action movie rolls) and Russell Crowe has a rock band in Australia, but the rest of the all-star cast has a musical background too.

I saw Les Mis on Broadway with the original BW cast... it's an exceptional musical (more like an English language opera). On par with the best of Lerner and Lowe, Rogers and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc. Tom Hooper, who directed the film (and The Damned United and The King's Speech), usually does a bang up job and gets the most from his actors.

Couldn't agree more. I loved almost every minute of this movie, and I'm anxiously awaiting the purchase of the blu ray.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

I could not disagree more. Everyone I saw it with thought it was at best passable. First, not all the singing was great. Anne Hathaway was adequate at best and Russell Crowe despite being in a rock band was abysmal. Hugh Jackman was the best, but he was far from great. If you want to hear how well the songs can be sung watch the 25th anniversary version that was in the O2 center in London. Even Jackman pales in comparison, and no one else comes close (except for the woman who plays Eponine who was the same in the movie and 25th anniversary edition). Even separate from that is the poor staging, the abysmal close ups during the singing (which multiple critics remarked on), and the acting in general.

I am glad I saw the movie because it is a spectacular play with incredible music. I can't imagine I will ever see it again. It is certainly at best a rental and definitely NOT a blind buy.

SMK

As I mentioned before, I've seen the original Broadway cast live and in person in New York, so I've experienced Les Mis with a pro bunch of singers. Yeah, I'm sure the main actors are not as good as those or the London cast (no surprise there), but as a Hollywood musical goes...

Plus, because this is a cinematic rendition, it would be blocked and staged as if it was such. Also, the performances were recorded on set.

Also, if the lay person can get into musicals, then perhaps the genre won't die out in Hollywood. And this sure beats a lot of the crap coming out of tinsel town these days.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

SMK

I agree. Imho the acting was decent, nothing amazing in my books.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Loved the movie... definitely picking this one up.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 320
*updated with cover art and Blu-ray exclusives...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page