Tips for ensuring blu-ray playability on my US PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought BBC's "Life" blu-ray narrated by David Attenborough. I imported it from the UK, thinking it would work on my US PS3 because it was "Multi-region" encoded. It didn't play. I did a lot of googling, etc, and found out that it's probably because the content (or at least then menus) are 1080i/50 and the US PS3 doesn't support 50hz. My co-worker bought the "Life" blu-ray from the uk amazon site (amazon.co.uk) and his copy does play on my US PS3!

The question is, what should I be looking for when importing content? Ie, how can I ensure that I don't have this mistake again?

The things making it hard to ensure that content is playable:
  • Confusion. The sellers sometimes don't even know exactly what they are talking about. (The seller that sold me the version of "Life" that didn't work, told me that it was because the content was in PAL format. But, "PAL" doesn't technically apply to blu-ray content .... hm.... )
  • Amazon lists several different items under one listing. (See http://www.amazon.com/Life-David-Attenborough-Narrated-Version-Blu-ray/dp/B002UXRGM0/ref=tmm_blu_title_0 , it looks like one item at first glance but upon closer inspection they have selections for dvd and blu-ray )
  • Incomplete descriptions. Nowhere on any web page, nor on the actual physical packaging, does it say the frame rate of some of the content is 50hz. So there was no way to know for sure if I was getting one of the ones that does work or one of the ones that doesn't.

I'd like to have the option of buying things from the amazon uk site (my co-worker says he gets things cheaper there sometimes). But how can I know if what I'm buying will play?

This thread is not about "Life", it is merely an example. I want to know how I can determine if something will play before I buy it. Are there any special tips? Amazon-specific tips for this? Something I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddified View Post

I bought BBC's "Life" blu-ray narrated by David Attenborough. I imported it from the UK, thinking it would work on my US PS3 because it was "Multi-region" encoded. It didn't play. I did a lot of googling, etc, and found out that it's probably because the content (or at least then menus) are 1080i/50 and the US PS3 doesn't support 50hz. My co-worker bought the "Life" blu-ray from the uk amazon site (amazon.co.uk) and his copy does play on my US PS3!

The question is, what should I be looking for when importing content? Ie, how can I ensure that I don't have this mistake again?

One of the first sites to visit when trying to decide which version of a Blu-ray you should be buying is the Cinema Squid database which many members here are familiar with.

In this case do a search for Life and you see all of the various versions that are available on Blu-ray.

http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/titles/life/9cbe5dcd-1f1b-4666-8fb4-35bfb2201e68

Knowing that your PS3 doesn't play 50 HZ content you can avoid those titles.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, that helps, very much so!
Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page