post #91 of 357 Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

It's now available for pre-order on Amazon. It's showing a March 19 delivery date.

Excellent pre ordered smile.gif

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 357 Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As to the 3D edition being available, AMAZON shows it up and ready for pre-order. DVD, 3D blu-ray, blu-ray Combo pack. Will be released March 19.
post #93 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Yep, me too. It's really odd that Amazon waited so long to pre-order this movie, given that it's released in 3 weeks.

Well I for one cannot wait. Never saw it in the theatre so I'm really looking forward to it. Worth a blind buy compared to what I would of paid on the theatre.

Frank
post #94 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I for one cannot wait. Never saw it in the theatre so I'm really looking forward to it. Worth a blind buy compared to what I would of paid on the theatre.

Well you could save the money, have ten ppl over for a pizza party for a half hour of drunken fun, then find a woodland hiking trail, go for a 3 hour hike and have friends occasionally jump out and throw stuff at you==The Hobbit.

And probably have a fun time with said friends. tongue.gif

Cool Beans.
post #95 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Based on the 7gb 720p rip that's floating around, this disc is going to look phenomenal.

Can't wait.
post #96 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Based on the 7gb 720p rip that's floating around, this disc is going to look phenomenal.

Can't wait.

Excellent !! Looking forward to it.

Frank
post #97 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Can't wait.

Quote:

Excellent !! Looking forward to it.

Same here. Only wish someone was releasing a special 3D edition. Checked around this weekend and the only special editions I can find are of the 2D version.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #98 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Well you could save the money, have ten ppl over for a pizza party for a half hour of drunken fun, then find a woodland hiking trail, go for a 3 hour hike and have friends occasionally jump out and throw stuff at you==The Hobbit.

And probably have a fun time with said friends. tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Actually, all that sounds WAY better than The Hobbit. I wish The Hobbit was anywhere near that entertaining. frown.gif I am going to revisit this on blu mainly to check out the 2d, 3d and audio, but the movie itself is a disappointing and dull affair IMO. Great book, but the way it was brought to the big screen in this first chapter just did not provide for a great movie experience. This would have been a MUCH more engaging film experience if they had just made one movie as it just drags in its current form.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #99 of 357 Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 10
Resolution wise the disc looks good. Encoding however has that facepalm quality we've usually come to expect from warner. It's never truly bad, but far from the standard imposed by soo many discs lately. And, of course, a 20mbit encode and 10 gb left unused on the disc. Facepalm, I tell you.
The looks of the movie is a tad... digital. Some scenes just look processed, and I don't mean the ones with CG. Sharpening is rather visible in some day scenes, oddly. Some shots with old Bilbo have some weird smudged grass. Not sure why a huge budget movie can't have more consistency.
post #100 of 357 Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Review on blu-ray.com is up (2D)

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #101 of 357 Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

The looks of the movie is a tad... digital.

It was filmed digitally, edited digitally, and every single scene involves extensive CGI. It looks just as digital as it did in the theater...

On a side note, no green tint! wink.gif
post #102 of 357 Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

In that case, PJ needs to redo FOTREE to remove the green tint and make it more consistent with TTTEE, ROTKEE and now Hobbit.
post #103 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you smile.gif

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/9573/85829832.jpg

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #104 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

Resolution wise the disc looks good. Encoding however has that facepalm quality we've usually come to expect from warner. It's never truly bad, but far from the standard imposed by soo many discs lately. And, of course, a 20mbit encode and 10 gb left unused on the disc. Facepalm, I tell you.
The looks of the movie is a tad... digital. Some scenes just look processed, and I don't mean the ones with CG. Sharpening is rather visible in some day scenes, oddly. Some shots with old Bilbo have some weird smudged grass. Not sure why a huge budget movie can't have more consistency.

First off as a qualifier, I've never bothered to catch The Hobbit in theaters even though I was very intrigued with the 48fps/3D version. I just don't have that big of an interest in the whole Middle Earth saga beyond buying and watching (once) the extended cuts on the Blu-ray set.

Anyway, I watched the 2D version on Blu-ray tonight and think it looks really good for what it is - mainly a nearly 90% CGI composed movie. If anything, there's an almost obsessive quality to focused, almost crowded detail that is sumptuous eye candy which has become typical for WETA/Peter Jackson films but never belies the fact it's actors performing in front of green screens. The flip side of the coin is there's some amazingly rendered scenes full of color that reminds me of a Maxfield Parish painting come to life. I really didn't see any issues with the encode and I'd rate it overall looking slightly better than Jackson's remake of King Kong on BR. The audio is also first-rate although the dialog in the center channel seemed mixed a bit low for my tastes through the first half of the movie. There's plenty of appropriate subwoofer and rear channel activity. At one point when there was some birds chirping during a scene, my Labrador went nuts and ran outside barking thinking there were birds in the yard.

As it's been said, this movie has some long stretches that could have been trimmed way down to make this a leaner 100 minute flick. But there's a few great sequences that have me really wanting to pick up or at least rent the 3D version. IMO, this is one case where the look and sound of the film on Blu-ray presentation makes the movie a better viewing than the actual merits of the flick itself.
post #105 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM
CIH USER

Thanks for the review Partyslammer, like you I didn't get to see it in the cinemas I'm looking forward to watch it on blu ray. Its good to read the audio is first rate. Had a laugh reading about your Labrador going nuts about the bird chirping, that was cool. Btw your lucky you received your copy early.

Frank
post #106 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was filmed digitally, edited digitally, and every single scene involves extensive CGI. It looks just as digital as it did in the theater...

From the looks of the bluray.com review screen grabs, there is clearly a greenish type tint to the film (at least parts). This is obviously intentional, but seeing this tint would strongly suggest that FOTR is also intentional most likely to more closely match the look of The Hobbit.

I would not hold my breath for a non green FOTR as ALL signs point to this as intentional at this point.

If anyone has the 3d blu, I would love to hear some 3d impressions! smile.gif

post #107 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vertigo View Post

Exactly. Looks just like FOTR EE which would suggest that the greening of that title is intentional.

post #108 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

From the looks of the bluray.com review screen grabs, there is clearly a greenish type tint to the film (at least parts). This is obviously intentional, but seeing this tint would strongly suggest that FOTR is also intentional most likely to more closely match the look of The Hobbit.

I would not hold my breath for a non green FOTR as ALL signs point to this as intentional at this point.

If anyone has the 3d blu, I would love to hear some 3d impressions! smile.gif

Having seen and really disliked the green tint of the first movie on the extended cut Blu-ray and now The Hobbit, I can say it doesn't have the pervasive tinting and the title scene, the sky doesn't even look as "green" as that screen cap on my Panasonic 65VT50. IMO, there's nothing objectionable about the color timing on The Hobbit and I'm generally a nut about such stuff (see my comments in the "Horror Of Dracula" thread).
post #109 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Jeesh...Release windows are getting so short it's not even worth going to the theater anymore.
post #110 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vertigo View Post

LOL, I figured as much, but I haven't taken the time to evaluate the color. Too bad.

IMO, it doesn't prove the FOTR is correct, it merely shows that they have a problem with their editors or editing environment. wink.gif
post #111 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

IMO, it doesn't prove the FOTR is correct, it merely shows that they have a problem with their editors or editing environment. wink.gif
That'd be my guess. Some kind of color bias in the profiles they use to manage color for all the various 35mm/DCP/HD deliverables, perhaps.

Either way, a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
post #112 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 334
is there even a rule in the Basic Principles of Filmmaking memo that white has to be 255/255/255? wink.gif

Cause when I think of it, it's kinda rare in the real world to see an equivalent of a "full white" level...
post #113 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
One shot doesn't really mean much.. most of the Shire scenes were tinted that way. I'd need to see a whole-film examination (like was done on FOTR) before I believe that this one got the wash, too.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #114 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 15
As Morpheo pointed out, it's not like we have pure white all around us.

Besides, it's a movie, fantasy one, not National Geographic documentary, so I don't think anyone should say "No, it's not right, it doesn't look that way in real life" or whatever.

It doesn't mean we have to like it and I agree, that green sky and green clouds are somewhat weird (DI gives them so much freedom in manipulating the image and they're doing such things?), but for me it's just the way it was done by Lesnie and Jackson. There's no story here, no encoding problem, no "Let's makie that greeeeeen!" evil masterplan.

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #115 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Jeesh...Release windows are getting so short it's not even worth going to the theater anymore.

I know its great.

Frank
post #116 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very good movie. CGI is great.
post #117 of 357 Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

is there even a rule in the Basic Principles of Filmmaking memo that white has to be 255/255/255? wink.gif

As I understand it, the convention is for white to be 6500K (ie colour temperature of the sun) on reproduction and to be encoded as digital 235/235/235 for video.

That's why there is calibration for displays, but this is meaningless if the studio doesn't stick to convention (unless they actually want a 9000K Arcturian sun look).

Computer white is 255/255/255.

Interestingly, it is mainly when one is showing video on a computer window where true white is visible in comparison, that off-white in video is apparent. Since the display is showing the same colour temperature for both, that aspect is somewhat irrelevant for the comparison.

When viewed in isolation in a darkened room, the human visual system will auto-adjust colour perception and video can appear different compared to viewing in an environment that has a visible colour reference.

I suppose we should be getting the film-maker to clarify which environment their video release is intended for, but it seems silly to provide a green wash over a video when those in a darkened theater will have a different perception than those in a sunny room. The best solution if a film-maker wants a particular colour tint is to keep white at reference and tint only those elements that require it, then all viewing environments are accommodated.
post #118 of 357 Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I have been curios of what can happen when a movie is transported to BD, and show some of the problems that people complain about.
Not that I know much about it, but I did a search without too much results.

A cinema release is graded for a DCP/P3 colorspace. I did find a question/discussion of going from Rec.709 which is used for BD, to P3. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/4821
Most replies state that there is not much difference.....and you can just apply a LUT to the material.

But one post disagrees; (my bolding)
Quote:
I see some of you say there is no visible difference between P3 and Rec.709, which I disagree. I have involved a horror movie recently, grading in P3.

After it finished, I jump the cable to our Rec.709 Monitor, you will see dramatically difference. The green and cyan part turns to be totally blue, and there is huge contrast and brightness difference.

So, for those say no visible difference, are you sure you digital projector was set to P3, not Rec.709.
I then can imagine that if a movie like The Hobbit is just sent with a DCP/P3 colorspace from Weta to a BD authoring house in LA, and they just apply the "proper" 3DLUT (a conversion LUT) to the material.
Which might be fine for most of the scenes, but possibly change the colors dramatically for certain scenes.

If the BD authoring house is to lazy to check each scene of the BD/Rec.709 against the DCP-P3, we might end up with certain scenes on the BD with the Teal look.
Or that they do check, and then over-correct those scenes.

After following discussions between people that do color grading of movies for many years, I have very little confidence in that everybody follows the correct procedure or standard, because in these discussions the method each and one argue is correct are all over the place.

As I said; I don't have much insight in this, but it is a possibility more eager people can do some investigation into.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #119 of 357 Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know its great.

Indeed!
post #120 of 357 Old 03-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The movie has a slow start (imo) and at first I thought well, it isn't LOTR that's for sure!... But then things start to take off and it ends up a more than satisfying new entry in the LOTR world... Can't wait to see it again on this blu-ray, which will undoubtedly look beautiful (well, I guess... wink.gif)

If you look at the page count of the book "The Hobbit" compared to the LOTR trilogy you just have to know up front that the Hobbit movies will have to be stretched out considerably to fill a trilogy. I have no problem with this, particularly if the time is used to flesh out characters. Visually the movie is another treat for the eyes and I am eagerly awaiting the next release.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page