Have you ever just reached a point in your Blu-ray collecting where you wonder, "What's left"? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 124 Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

I do all my BD shopping at Amazon. I've never had one problem since they started selling BDs. As a matter of fact. 3 months ago I accidently bought a BD that I already had. It was only a $10 one, but they told me to keep it and gave me back my money.

I haven't bought from a retailer in years, everything is at Amazon, TCM, WB, VCI, Screen Archives, etc.

The only time I don't buy from Amazon is if a movie is released here ( Australia) earlier.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, getting back to the original post, there are many old sci-fi/horror that I would like restored and in BD...but it'll never come to pass. Many never made it to DVD. let alone to be on BD.

As a amtter of fact, I've slowed down buying BD and have picked up with MOD DVDrs. I think I've been burned on the last 5-10 BDs thinking they were an upgrade from the DVD, but they weren't.

So now it's really a review type buying, won't buy an older film unless it gets a good review...too bad that most of them never do!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #93 of 124 Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Adding to mine, pandering to my like of musicals, older movies:

Brigadoon
Kismet
Darby O'Gill and the little people.
Kiss me Kate
Top Hat
post #94 of 124 Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Have you ever just reached a point in your Blu-ray collecting where you wonder, "What's left"?
There is tons of just of '80's stuff still for me! cool.gif

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #95 of 124 Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM

Well, I'm at least waiting until 2001's 45th has passed before finally picking that up on BD. I sold off my dvd years ago in anticipation of the blu-ray and then never got around to it for some reason. Then - and I want to say this was at least two whole years ago already - word started spreading of that making-of documentary. I've been holding off ever since, finally caught it in 70mm over the summer along with Spartacus (which still hasn't been properly remastered).

Speaking of which, there are plenty of dvd's I sold off only to end up not replacing on blu-ray due to dissapointing reviews.

Now, some of these I've come around on. For example, when the theatrical LotR discs finally hit, I couldn't believe they actually looked worse than the hd broadcasts in certain places. Overall though, I actually like what I'm seeing in the screengrabs and would probably pick them up now that they're down to a pricepoint justifying the end product. The same goes for stuff like BTTF.

Then there are the ones I wouldn't pick up if they were being given away. Most of the Star Trek movies would fit into this category, but I've said enough about them in their own thread.

The mother of all "what's left," to me, would be a restored original version original Star Wars trilogy.
post #96 of 124 Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
well right now i have over 3300 titles and i do not have any intention to stop. Why? its cheaper than the movie theater, you can pause iit, go to bathrom, see it with unlimited amount of friends and family. Etc.

Enjoy
post #97 of 124 Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacasadelbluray View Post

well right now i have over 3300 titles and i do not have any intention to stop. Why? its cheaper than the movie theater, you can pause iit, go to bathrom, see it with unlimited amount of friends and family. Etc.

Enjoy

It's all a relative thing. You could be 6'4" and be considered to be very tall unless everyone in your tribe is 7'.biggrin.gif

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #98 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Enjoy

Wow, nice collection man!
post #99 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Wow, indeed. I thought my collection was getting impressive, but I maybe only have three of those rows... two and a half? I didn't even know there were 3300 Blu-ray titles released! Do you buy only movies you like or do you just buy every one you see at the store? Do you track them in Excel or an app of some kind? Not to be nosey, I'm just curious how you can manage so many (let alone find time to watch them all).
post #100 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
...How can you wonder "what's left" when you know there will *always* be new releases coming? Besides, studios know how to milk their catalog titles with anniversary "ultimate" editions etc, and we know we'll buy them anyway even if we complain (or even some of them) wink.gif I have about 600 titles in my collection, 400 Blu-rays and 200 dvds. I won't replace all my dvds, but I only buy Blu-rays now (I had some of them previously on dvd). I don't "collect" for the sake of collecting, but as many have said before in this thread, I simply love movies and I like to watch them when I want and just having them "available" on my shelves. Sometimes I don't know which one to watch and looking at my collection I often end up with a surprising choice compared to the initial idea. smile.gif
post #101 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Enjoy

very very nice! But you realize that A/C has to go soon don't you? biggrin.gif
post #102 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

Wow, nice collection man!

Wow I thought I had alot 600 blu rays, Thats an amazing collection.

Frank

post #103 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Wow, indeed. I thought my collection was getting impressive, but I maybe only have three of those rows... two and a half? I didn't even know there were 3300 Blu-ray titles released! Do you buy only movies you like or do you just buy every one you see at the store? Do you track them in Excel or an app of some kind? Not to be nosey, I'm just curious how you can manage so many (let alone find time to watch them all).

I use My Movies App which is available on android and apple. Best app to categorise your movies.

Frank

post #104 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I use My Movies App which is available on android and apple. Best app to categorise your movies.

Yes, I tried the free version, but was too cheap to buy the full version. It is awesome, though. We share a Google Doc now. No fancy pictures or metadata, just a list of the discs we own. It works well enough so that if we see a great deal on a disc we want, we can quickly determine if we already own it, whether the Blu-ray or DVD, look up reviews of the transfer quality, etc.

God forbid lacasadelbluray's collection is ever afflicted with disc rot.
post #105 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
nah, still buying here, plenty left.... but I am only clocking just above 800 between BDs & HDDVDs, wow 3,300 eek.gif wtg lacasadelbluray biggrin.gif
post #106 of 124 Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Hi, i bought anything i could find an i dindt already have. I have them organized by a code, and the codes and images are in my webpage. I didnt want to spam the forum with the url without any moderator permission.

Then in the page i have the trailer and clasify them by categories.
post #107 of 124 Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM

LOL, not A/C will stay is required for all the computers and server in the room. But i have more walls on the same room.

As this other wall
post #108 of 124 Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is just so impressive!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #109 of 124 Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Currently, I have 911 Blu Rays, I was just in Best Buy today, combing through their meager selection, found not one thing I wanted or didn't have. I am definitely at that "whats left point", aside from new releases. In fact I'm in the process of digitizing the remnant of my DVD collection(some 370 movies). Most of these titles I wouldn't purchase again, though there are a bunch I would love to see:

The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer, not the remake)
Red Eye
Dreamcatcher
Phantasm 1-IV
Police Story 1-3(the HK ones are just upscaled DVDs)
Drunken Master
Zatoichi 1-25

True Lies and The Abyss of course.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #110 of 124 Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Enjoy

Please tell us about your home theater setup.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #111 of 124 Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Repeat after me..."bookends, bookends". smile.gif

post #112 of 124 Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Lucasdelbruray,
Do you wear a mask for all the off-gasing of ALL THAT PLASTIC? biggrin.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #113 of 124 Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Yeah I have shelving using a dual-slot design and found some bookends that clamp into the rails:

I don't know if anything similar exists for single-slot rails, though. If/when you do run out of space, one solution is to start sleeving them. This one tray has over 60 titles in it:

post #114 of 124 Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

I've found that tiki mugs, a bottle of Cointreau, or some cans of Lopez Coconut Cream will do in a pinch:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #115 of 124 Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty much reaching this point, yes. I can only think of a couple more childhood era flicks I'd love to see on BR, and maybe another title or two from the 80's and that'd be it for catalog stuff (for me - I'm really not a BIG collector, to this day I MAY have around 100 BD's total).

Bad News Bears (just the original)
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The Longest Yard (original of course)
Pretty in Pink (yeah, I said it, lol)

What I'm REALLY waiting for though is some vintage tv series already...

All in the Family
Sanford and Son
Married with Children (hey, the first few seasons were pretty raw, before it turned into a cartoon)
Seinfeld

|

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier
post #116 of 124 Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
IS WILLOW OUT YET???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #117 of 124 Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

IS WILLOW OUT YET???

March 12, 2013

We have a thread on that: Willow (1988)

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #118 of 124 Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM

I guess that's one of the pro's to being a late adapter - I just bought a BRD player 2 weeks ago and have only just started my software collection.
I waited until movie prices dropped and have paid no more than 5.00/ea for my (so far) 20 titles...I won't pay more then that, or much more, just to play catch up.
No hurry, no worry. cool.gif
Amazon has the best deals.....

Watched Brave last night - simply awesome!
So was The Avengers....
post #119 of 124 Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I just keep telling myself: Every BD that I don't buy now is one less "re-buy" about which I won't have to feel guilty . . . when I purchase the movie on next generation disc remastered in 4K2K and|or 3D audio...?! eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #120 of 124 Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Enjoy

-- Holy Mother of God ! (or words to that effect) eek.gif

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page