The Phantom of the Opera (Image Entertainment) - PROBLEMS with "corrected" Blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I picked up a used copy of the Blu-ray of The Phantom of the Opera:

http://www.image-entertainment.com/product/phantom-of-the-opera-1925-silent/8eced6a0-0ff4-4a0b-9e15-9c0200cc1cd4

I then found out that the original pressing had some problems - the menu screen was by musical score instead of by film version (1929 24fps, 1929 20fps, 1925) and the stereo Gaylord Carter score was in mono. Image was offering a free replacement disc, so I requested and received it.

Upon briefly comparing the two, though, I noticed something horribly wrong with the "corrected" disc, and I wrote to Image yesterday with accompanying photos of the troublesome scenes as follows:
Quote:
I received my replacement copy of The Phantom of the Opera Blu-Ray per your instructions. 01438175425 03 75

But there is something horribly wrong with the "corrected" Blu-ray for the 1929 24fps (frames per second) version. See the attached photos I took of the film from my computer monitor.

As you can see in the "corrected" Blu-ray's scenes of the rooftop (where Raoul and Christine are talking in the blue-tinted scene while the Phantom in his red-tinted costume and cape is listening above them while hiding behind the statue) and the dance (the sepia-tinted scene which immediately follows), there are severe "jaggies" or aliasing or blockiness - the image looks digitized - whereas in the original "defective" Blu-ray's images of the same scenes the picture is smooth. [Note: the jaggies don't occur in the entirety of the rooftop scene - e.g., the Phantom isn't that way, but the close-ups of Raoul and Christine are.]

It's odd, too, that even though these are supposed to be the identical video, the scenes are off from each other by several seconds, and the brightness is different. This is the 24fps version for both; I did not accidentally display the 20fps version on one and the 24fps version on another.

(Note: the jaggies and aliasing aren't in all scenes, just a few of them, but it's VERY NOTICEABLE when it occurs; the image looks like a blocky low-resolution video game.)

Did I get a defective replacement Blu-ray?

If you have the "corrected" Blu-ray of The Phantom of the Opera, does yours have this problem, too? (The menu for the "corrected" Blu-ray lets you select, via a horizontal menu bar across the lower part of the screen, the version you want to watch by year and fps, versus the original "defective" disc menu just listing the musical score in the top left to choose from.)

Rooftop scene on the Original BD smooth

Rooftop scene on the "Corrected" BD with jaggies/blockiness

Dance scene on the Original BD smooth

Dance scene on the "Corrected" BD with jaggies/blockiness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard back yet from Image Entertainment, but if the flawed "corrected" Blu-ray I got is indeed the way the disc was manufactured, then I guess I'm glad I have both the original and the "corrected" Blu-ray despite the original's screwed-up menu and lack of stereo for one of the audio tracks.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

I haven't heard back yet from Image Entertainment, but if the flawed "corrected" Blu-ray I got is indeed the way the disc was manufactured, then I guess I'm glad I have both the original and the "corrected" Blu-ray despite the original's screwed-up menu and lack of stereo for one of the audio tracks.

I still haven't heard back from Image Entertainment. Does anyone here have the BD so they can compare my screencaps with theirs?