post #31 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Thanks for that! It cost a pretty penny to get that discontinued version, but not too high a price to pay for what some are saying is the best blu-ray to date. Can't wait to get it in my Oppo!

Your just going to be paying to see Bushes head on a spike (Is kind of worth it) theres no difference in PQ. The 7 disc version includes DVD copy on 2 discs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Highly doubtful, as the reissue occurred immediately following the discovery of the GW head on the first release. Way too coincidental to be anything but. Freezing sounds more like a player conflict rather than the discs. I don't recall hearing anything about a major authoring problem with S1, and my copy (purchased before the GW fiasco) plays fine.
Thank you for that response. It definitely was the discs though -- quite a few folks had the problem, for one thing. For another, it did this on all my players, including those from different maufacturers, plus it is the only set or only discs out of about a thousand owned and many more rented, that ever did this. What I mean by freezing the player is that nothing would happen and nothing was allowed to happen -- could not turn the machine off, eject the disc, etc. -- you had to unplug the player and eject when power was restored. But I'll go back to the season one thread, see what I can learn.
post #33 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a sampling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

The GOT Blu-rays have the longest load time of my collection.
It take around 2 minutes to load the menu. There's a thread on blu-ray.com
where GOT playback issues are discussed >>>
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ame+of+thrones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Disk 1 and 3 took a long time to load on my OPPO 83, at least 2-3 minutes, which is a long time to sit in the dark, but once loaded they played flawlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

It does the same thing to my Sony 570 BD player. I swapped in my PS3 so I could watch them. So it is not just you. I have tried various settings on the player including turning off BD Live, changing memory to USB, but nothing helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

I had some issues playing these disks yesterday as well with my Denon 1611
The unit just sat there with a blank screen and all zeros on the display. It wouldn't accept any commands but did let me power off, eject and try again which I had to do for first 3 disks so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

My 570 did it as well but not on all discs. It just froze with no menu, no picture or anything. I just restarted the player (with the disc inside as I couldn't even eject it) and everything was back to normal. I'm guessing some network stuff might be responsible...

I should say though that season two does not exhibit any of these issues so far for me. The story is so dense though that I wanted to refresh with a little spin through season 1 -- the first disc then froze my player. I unplugged and ejected...
post #34 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Your just going to be paying to see Bushes head on a spike (Is kind of worth it) theres no difference in PQ. The 7 disc version includes DVD copy on 2 discs.

Understand. Foolish purchase perhaps but I'm a slave to original releases.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #35 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Understand. Foolish purchase perhaps but I'm a slave to original releases.

Its still worth it, the shows great. Enjoy.

post #36 of 44 Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Its still worth it, the shows great. Enjoy.

Thanks. Just finishing up the season 2 br's now. So much better than broadcast.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #37 of 44 Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 AM

Liked: 10
I have to say I am surprised by the praise the discs got. The source material is undoubtedly high quality, much more so than other series, and even some movies. But it benefits one of the worst encodes in recent years.
The first series, although not stellar in that respect, didn't have any visible in motion problems, which is fine.
But some parts here are worthy of itunes or somesuch. Especially episode 10 is a blocking and banding feast (it also has lower bitrate, about 18, which is not all that low), and episode 9 has omnipresent banding issues which is somewhat expected due to very hard scenes, naval battles at night, but for an almost 30mbit encode... it's not normal.
Other episodes have more transient problems, like some banded scenes and some visible shimmering blocks in dark areas, but it's not many scenes.
Overall a poor effort to finish an otherwise great job done until the final step.
post #38 of 44 Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks for the info, Emaych. I never saw any of that, because it played flawlessly on my old LG. Makes me wonder if I should go through it again on my newer Sony to make sure they still work. Gosh, I'm gonna have to sit through Season One again. Poor, poor me.. lulz.

By "problem with the player", I was more referring to the all-too-common situation where there's some kind of conflict between the discs' authoring (usually copy-protection related) and the player's firmware, rather than a physical or mechanical issue. I haven't run into any of those on my Sony, but my LG player got pretty bad about it sometimes, and I'd have to wait until a new firmware was released to watch certain titles. That's part of the reason I went ahead and got a new BD player, was that LG had stopped updating that old BD390 some time ago. That, and I needed a 3D-capable player.. hehe.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #39 of 44 Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Made it through all my season two discs with no hitches. Kept investigating S1 issues. It looks to me like their reissuing of S1 was based on some issue other than the defective authoring, as people still seem to have experienced problems with the replacement set. I guess this makes sense in one regard -- probably alot easier to edit some brief content than diagnose and reconfigure the menu upload, or whatever bogs down the booting up -- this would explain the relatively rapid deployment of the reissue. But in another sense, I'm not sure what urgency there was to making sure people did not see the Bush head on a stick -- and of course it still leaves the defect for a good many people to be affected.

But I guess many consumers never had problems with the first release. So.....hey, if these things are going for $120 -- anyone interested in a perfect condition Bush head first edition of GOT S1? (take the proceeds from that and find out for myself if the reissue is still defective.) I've got to think they know what they did wrong as S2 played perfectly....
post #40 of 44 Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just went through a whole disc of S1 on my Sony BD-590, no issues. Was it something that happened on all the discs, or just certain parts?

I haven't gotten to S2 yet, I'll finish up S1 tomorrow and then get into S2, get that all taken care of over the next couple weeks, plenty of time before S3 starts.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #41 of 44 Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^One weird aspect to it was that all the discs were unpredictable, meaning that sometimes they might engage, other times not. Sometimes the load times were slow, sometimes nothing at all happened -- I once let it run for 10 minutes with blank screen before unplugging the player. Sometimes when you unplugged, it would then start up and engage upon pressing PLAY. Other times it would do the same thing as before.

On the other web site that was linked in the emails I quoted from AVS above, there was much more discussion of the issue than on AVS, including "solutions" -- one person had success putting a blank flash drive in the back of their player -- the thought being that it provided extra memory space for the player to boot up the menu. I tried that, did not work for me. Another had success putting in one of the discs which might have engaged more easily -- you then go to EPISODES in the menu and specify an episode off the other problematic disc, wait for the player prompt to change the disc, then upon putting that one in, it will play.

That solution worked for me yesterday -- however I think you cannot count on that "less problematic" disc playing all the time, and of course it is a ridiculous hassle to go through. I tried the method twice with disc 2, and it worked to then play disc 1, which had frozen the machine twice earlier. But no saying next time I try, disc 2 will play to get me to disc 1. Then you can go through the whole set again trying to find one that will engage -- which means several freezing, unplug player, start up, eject sequences.

But as I say, some people seemed not to have the problem at all. It seemed not related to specific players or updates, or if it was, there was a broad swath of firmware-current players from different manufacturers that this issue stymied.
post #42 of 44 Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Could anyone give me a time index for locating the "Bush head?" I bought one of the original Season 1 sets and learned of this later and don't remember seeing it. Unless, the head was turned partially away from camera, I hardly think that they would make it all that clear. rolleyes.gif
post #43 of 44 Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

Could anyone give me a time index for locating the "Bush head?" I bought one of the original Season 1 sets and learned of this later and don't remember seeing it. Unless, the head was turned partially away from camera, I hardly think that they would make it all that clear. rolleyes.gif

I don't have the exact time mark for this in season 1, episode 10, but just go to the scene where Joffrey is forcing Sansa to look at all the heads on sticks. It is actually not a face-on view. It's a side-view and has long hair. If they wouldn't have called it out in the extra features dialogue, I'm not sure anyone would have noticed.

My current SACD list
post #44 of 44 Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Agreed with the assessments of slightly lower video quality on S2 but fewer problems loading discs than S1. I think more than the complex disc structures the damn useless bluray live features (for an occasional HBO commercial and nothing more) are at fault, although there's no reason they should load so slowly as well. Love this show and love the set, the special features are just wonderful, like illustrated book appendices. Shame LOTR's discs never had anything similar.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page