Power DVD Ultra on a 6-core CPU - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Software > Power DVD Ultra on a 6-core CPU
bboybob23's Avatar bboybob23 11:26 AM 02-21-2013
Hey All,

A year ago I bought Power DVD 10 Ultra with hopes to play Blu-Ray media on my computer. I ran into the issue that, on a 6 core processor, Power DVD 10 would run the entire video playback on one of the twelve virtual cores and subsequently overheat that core causing artifacts in the playback. I first noticed this with the Star Wars Blu-Ray release. They came out with a patch that supposedly fixed this issue but it did nothing for me. I've ignored this problem for a year but now I'm considering buying Power DVD 12 ultra.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had this same problem with Power DVD 12? Or if you could recommend a different software entirely because, personally, I don't really like Power DVD at all.

Hardware:
Intel i7-970
Asus Rampage III Formula
12 GB DDR3 Corssair 1066 Memory
Asus Blu-Ray Drive model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Thanks,
Ben

42041's Avatar 42041 11:28 AM 02-21-2013
Are you sure that your CPU is getting cooled properly (ie, good heatsink seating, thermal paste properly applied, airflow, no dust clogging things up)? Seems odd that running one core would overheat it.
Vortex3D's Avatar Vortex3D 01:54 PM 02-21-2013
PowerDVD is doing the same on my QuadCore laptop. Only core 0 will do most of the processing close to 100%. I found in Windows 8, if I disable PowerDVD (version 11, I think) from running on core 0, it will spread out the other cores much evenly.
obispo21's Avatar obispo21 05:57 PM 02-21-2013
I don't have it personally, but I've heard good things about ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. You can a download a free trial version for a couple weeks.

http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/index.asp

I've been using PowerDVD also, but have largely been disappointed.

PowerDVD works well when you first get it, but CyberLink stops releasing patches & updates after a year or so. The result is the software becomes unable to play newer BD discs, or becomes incompatible with other software in some fashion.

(This has happened to me for two PowerDVD versions now. You can upgrade to the current version at a deep discount, but I still feel ripped off. CE companies don't try to pull this with stand-alone players.)

My copy of PowerDVD 10 suddenly stopped displaying BD menus & sub-titles (for any BD disc), seemingly due to some incompatibility with recent OS / Driver updates. (Windows 7 64 Bit & Core i3 2100 w/ Integrated Graphics).
Vortex3D's Avatar Vortex3D 12:01 PM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by obispo21 View Post

I don't have it personally, but I've heard good things about ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. You can a download a free trial version for a couple weeks.

http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/index.asp

I've been using PowerDVD also, but have largely been disappointed.

PowerDVD works well when you first get it, but CyberLink stops releasing patches & updates after a year or so. The result is the software becomes unable to play newer BD discs, or becomes incompatible with other software in some fashion.

(This has happened to me for two PowerDVD versions now. You can upgrade to the current version at a deep discount, but I still feel ripped off. CE companies don't try to pull this with stand-alone players.)

My copy of PowerDVD 10 suddenly stopped displaying BD menus & sub-titles (for any BD disc), seemingly due to some incompatibility with recent OS / Driver updates. (Windows 7 64 Bit & Core i3 2100 w/ Integrated Graphics).

I agree TotalMedia Theater is a much better Blu-ray player. To control Blu-ray menu, you need to activate the virtual remote control on both TotalMedia Theater and PowerDVD but on TotalMedia Theater, you can move the 4 color and keypad remote control buttons to outside the movie frame. On PowerDVD, those 4 color and keypad remote control buttons are locked to inside the movie frame.
AndyM's Avatar AndyM 06:15 PM 02-22-2013
so that's what this problem was. it played havoc with my last PC. took the temps up to 80c - even when i pressed pause. star wars was one of the problematic discs.

i asked cyberlink about this. they had know idea what was going on. figures.

i'm using the trial of PowerDVD12 now and have had no such issues on i5 Processor/Windows 8.
bboybob23's Avatar bboybob23 11:13 AM 02-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Are you sure that your CPU is getting cooled properly (ie, good heatsink seating, thermal paste properly applied, airflow, no dust clogging things up)? Seems odd that running one core would overheat it.

My CPU is definitely being cooled properly, its just that the playback on a single core runs it up to 100%, Power DVD released a statement about this along with a patch to fix it but that didn't help at all.
mcantu1's Avatar mcantu1 01:07 PM 02-24-2013
do you guys have hardware acceleration turned on?

i have a triple core CPU that runs all cores equally at around 20% while the GPU (560ti) hits 10-15%
Up
Mobile  Desktop