Atlas Shrugged Part II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Atlas Shrugged Part II Blu-Ray---I received my copy of this 2/19/13. Watched it the same night. The video seems quite good-no nits to pick about this. As to the audio--the quality of the audio is also very good. But-it seems (at least on my copy) that the audio LEVEL was recorded VERY low. I have a few hundred BR's. Of course, audio levels vary somewhat amongst them. None of them, though, are this low in level. Whereas I run my AVR audio levels between -20 to -10 (equivalent to +55 db to +65 db), on this disc only, I had to run the audio level at 0 (equivalent to +75 db) to have just a NORMAL listening level. At this level, nothing was really loud-just an average listening level. The "extras" portion on this disc has "normal" audio levels. Just the main movie seems low. Once again, the audio isn't distorted--just low. Does anybody else have this new disc yet? If so, what is you opinion of the audio level?

I also bought (months ago) Part I of this movie on BR. It's audio level seems to be "normal".

Aside from my question about the audio level, I enjoyed it. I first read "Atlas Shrugged" forty years ago when in college. Every few years, I re-read it. Yes-it is a LONG read. I look forward to part three of the movie. I do wish that they could have kept the same actors that were in part I for part II of this movie.

Any comments are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also read this in College. But your'e older than me. For me it was only 37 years ago. What a profound effect this book had on my thinking. Tried to get my kids to read it, but only one of them took me up on it. We both loved Pt I. Am very much looking forward to Pt II, but will wait until we can enjoy together since she's away at college. For me, the technical aspects of the film are not as important. Yes I want it to be a quality production, made well with solid believable acting. It's the ideas though, that really resonate.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

Atlas Shrugged Part II Blu-Ray---I received my copy of this 2/19/13. Watched it the same night. The video seems quite good-no nits to pick about this. As to the audio--the quality of the audio is also very good. But-it seems (at least on my copy) that the audio LEVEL was recorded VERY low. I have a few hundred BR's. Of course, audio levels vary somewhat amongst them. None of them, though, are this low in level. Whereas I run my AVR audio levels between -20 to -10 (equivalent to +55 db to +65 db), on this disc only, I had to run the audio level at 0 (equivalent to +75 db) to have just a NORMAL listening level. At this level, nothing was really loud-just an average listening level. The "extras" portion on this disc has "normal" audio levels. Just the main movie seems low. Once again, the audio isn't distorted--just low. Does anybody else have this new disc yet? If so, what is you opinion of the audio level?

I also bought (months ago) Part I of this movie on BR. It's audio level seems to be "normal".

Aside from my question about the audio level, I enjoyed it. I first read "Atlas Shrugged" forty years ago when in college. Every few years, I re-read it. Yes-it is a LONG read. I look forward to part three of the movie. I do wish that they could have kept the same actors that were in part I for part II of this movie.

Any comments are welcome.

Yep, very low audio level. I know both films are not that great, but the ideas are so interesting and so much of what Rand predicted has come true in some horrifying ways, that I was mesmerized by both. And yes, completely weird to have a complete new set of actors for part two. Wonder if we'll get a new complete set for part three?
post #4 of 21 Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I'd like to see both parts but I'm already depressed enough as it is.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I watched the Blu-ray last night and had no problems with the movie's audio level. I typically listen at a level of -9 dB on my receiver, and that's where I was for most of the movie. I actually turned it down late in the movie, because I thought it was pretty loud.

I was using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic 310, connected by HDMI to a Denon 4311 receiver. It is Audyssey calibrated, so a volume setting of 0 dB is "film reference level."

I haven't tried any of the "extras" on the disc.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

Interesting. I watched the Blu-ray last night and had no problems with the movie's audio level. I typically listen at a level of -9 dB on my receiver, and that's where I was for most of the movie. I actually turned it down late in the movie, because I thought it was pretty loud.

I was using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic 310, connected by HDMI to a Denon 4311 receiver. It is Audyssey calibrated, so a volume setting of 0 dB is "film reference level."

I haven't tried any of the "extras" on the disc.

Hi, LRS3--Thanks for your response. I am also using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. My Oppo 93 BluRay is connected (by HDMI) to a Denon 3311 AVR which is also Audyssey calibrated. I agree that a setting of 0 db is considered to be "film reference level". But, out of the multitude of BR's I have, none have to be played at a level this "hot" for normal volume levels.

When you have time, try listening to the "extras" section of the disc. Set the volume for a comfortable listening level. Then, go straight over and play the movie without changing the volume. Let me know if the movie level is much lower. There sure is a difference when I do that test. Perhaps I have a bum disc.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Hi, LRS3--Thanks for your response. I am also using the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. My Oppo 93 BluRay is connected (by HDMI) to a Denon 3311 AVR which is also Audyssey calibrated. I agree that a setting of 0 db is considered to be "film reference level". But, out of the multitude of BR's I have, none have to be played at a level this "hot" for normal volume levels.

When you have time, try listening to the "extras" section of the disc. Set the volume for a comfortable listening level. Then, go straight over and play the movie without changing the volume. Let me know if the movie level is much lower. There sure is a difference when I do that test. Perhaps I have a bum disc.

I'll check, but it probably won't be for the next couple of days. As I said, the movie itself seems to have comparable audio levels to other Blu-ray discs on my system, so if the "extras" are louder, my suspicion is that the extras are louder than average. I own close to 300 Blu-rays.

Do you have the regular Fox Blu-ray of Atlas Shrugged II or is it the fancy "d'Anconia copper edition?" Mine is the regular Fox version, which I bought from Amazon.

I agree with you that an Audyssey volume setting of 0 dB is too loud for most home systems. I only mentioned it to see if we were both talking about the same relative volume levels.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just ordered this on Amazon earlier today.
Looking forward to watching it...!
Loved the first one...

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #9 of 21 Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I'll check, but it probably won't be for the next couple of days. As I said, the movie itself seems to have comparable audio levels to other Blu-ray discs on my system, so if the "extras" are louder, my suspicion is that the extras are louder than average. I own close to 300 Blu-rays.

Do you have the regular Fox Blu-ray of Atlas Shrugged II or is it the fancy "d'Anconia copper edition?" Mine is the regular Fox version, which I bought from Amazon.

I agree with you that an Audyssey volume setting of 0 dB is too loud for most home systems. I only mentioned it to see if we were both talking about the same relative volume levels.

As you, I have a few hundred BR's. I have the Copper Edition that I pre-ordered a few months ago direct from the A.S. site. The audio level of the "extras" portion coincides with other BR's that I have. So, I would have to say that it is the actual movie audio level (on this disc) that is not the norm, not the "extras" section. I play the "extras" section at ~-13 on my AVR (~+62 db). As I previously mentioned, I have to play the movie at 0 (+75 db) just to have an average audio level. Let me know when you have tried comparing the two sections of the disc. Thanks for the response.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

As you, I have a few hundred BR's. I have the Copper Edition that I pre-ordered a few months ago direct from the A.S. site. The audio level of the "extras" portion coincides with other BR's that I have. So, I would have to say that it is the actual movie audio level (on this disc) that is not the norm, not the "extras" section. I play the "extras" section at ~-13 on my AVR (~+62 db). As I previously mentioned, I have to play the movie at 0 (+75 db) just to have an average audio level. Let me know when you have tried comparing the two sections of the disc. Thanks for the response.

OK, so I just tried this again.

To try to make my experience more consistent with yours, I used my Oppo 93 Blu-ray player, instead of my Panasonic 310. The Oppo is hooked up by HDMI to my Denon 4311 receiver. I am bitstreaming audio. My receiver confirms that I am listening to the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. I am using the Audyssey (not Audyssey Flat) curve in the receiver. Dynamic EQ is on (0 dB Reference Level Offset), but Audyssey Dynamic Volume is off.

My results remain the same. Although it is entirely subjective, I am still comfortable with my usual default Blu-ray disc volume level of -9 dB when watching the beginning of the film. Using my SPL app in my iPhone (who knows how accurate it is?), I am getting volume levels in the general range of 77-85 dB at my listening position during the plane chase in the first scene. I tried turning my receiver up to 0 dB at this point, but it was too loud for my ears.

I also tried the first "extra" - Behind the Scenes of Atlas Shrugged II. As in your experience, what I watched of the extra (just a couple of minutes) was louder than the movie. I'd say about 3 dB louder. I was comfortable listening to it with a volume setting of -12 dB. This seems consistent with your setting of -13 dB for the extras with your AVR.

So, I can't explain why your disc's movie volume level seems to be significantly lower than mine. As I mentioned, I just have the "plain Jane" Fox version of the Blu-ray, while you said you have the fancy "d'Anconia copper" version. I would think that both versions of the Blu-ray would be the same. It would certainly be disheartening to know that the fancy version of the disc has a problem that the garden-variety version doesn't have.

I've attached a photo of my Blu-ray disc so that you can compare it to yours. Sorry for the iPhone photo quality, but I think it's clear enough for you to tell whether its appearance differs from yours. Atlas_Shrugged_II_Fox.jpg 93k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atlas_Shrugged_II_Fox.jpg (92.9 KB, 10 views)
post #11 of 21 Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Um, it's not just HIS volume level, as if he had the only disc with a volume level significantly lower than most Blu-rays and lower than part one of Atlas Shrugged. I posted that above, but apparently this dialogue is only meant as a duet.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Contributions are always welcome.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

To hainehisway, LRS3 and all--I didn't intend this thread to become just a meeting board between two people. It just seems LRS3 and myself sort of grabbed the reins and took off. Hainehisway-thanks for reminding me that I seem not to be the only one with this audio level question. Question for you-do you have the Copper "special edition" or the plain Fox version? If you have the Copper edition (and noticed the same level discrepancy as I have), perhaps this indicates a symptomatic problem. I.E.-the discs burned for the Copper edition being different than the Fox version. It would be interesting to know.

LRS3-I tried the SPL app on my iPad long ago. Let me assure you-it is not accurate (very non-linear). The mic in the iPod/Pad is only meant to reproduce some sound-not meant to be a reference source for measurement. I bought a level 2 SPL meter and have compared it with other peoples meters. They all seem to be fairly the same in reproducing SPL readings when measuring the same source. I've included a picture of my discs. They appear to be different than yours.

In closing--I'm not going to try to beat a dead horse. My disc is "useable". But, I really have to crank the gain on my AVR to have acceptable listening levels. I posted an email directly to the AS site about this a few days ago. But, I've heard nothing in return.

I really would like to hear from anybody out there concerning this discrepancy.

Haineshisway/LRS3-thanks for your responses.

post #14 of 21 Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just watched this a couple of days ago. I had absolutely no issues with audio. Using Anthem room correction with Ariel speakers in dedicated theater. Must be a difference in editions, I guess I have the standard edition blu-ray(only one disc).

I enjoyed the movie and don't really understand the bad reviews.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
My review copy from Fox didn't seem to have the audio issues, though it is the normal retail version. I think how entertaining one finds it will directly be tied to how much you sympathize with its philosophical message and ideas on economics. I doubt anyone on the Left would get much entertainment from it, though some of the critical reaction to it is over the top and wrongheaded. Though most films targeted at a broad audience usually try to be a little more subtle about its intended message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 21 Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I didn't have any problems either. I have the same edition as you. I enjoyed it as well. Now, the question being, will they make the 3rd movie? It is starting to remind me of "This Island Earth".

The 3rd part of Atlas Shrugged is due to be released on July 4th 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged:_Part_III
post #17 of 21 Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

To hainehisway, LRS3 and all--I didn't intend this thread to become just a meeting board between two people. It just seems LRS3 and myself sort of grabbed the reins and took off. Hainehisway-thanks for reminding me that I seem not to be the only one with this audio level question. Question for you-do you have the Copper "special edition" or the plain Fox version? If you have the Copper edition (and noticed the same level discrepancy as I have), perhaps this indicates a symptomatic problem. I.E.-the discs burned for the Copper edition being different than the Fox version. It would be interesting to know.

LRS3-I tried the SPL app on my iPad long ago. Let me assure you-it is not accurate (very non-linear). The mic in the iPod/Pad is only meant to reproduce some sound-not meant to be a reference source for measurement. I bought a level 2 SPL meter and have compared it with other peoples meters. They all seem to be fairly the same in reproducing SPL readings when measuring the same source. I've included a picture of my discs. They appear to be different than yours.

In closing--I'm not going to try to beat a dead horse. My disc is "useable". But, I really have to crank the gain on my AVR to have acceptable listening levels. I posted an email directly to the AS site about this a few days ago. But, I've heard nothing in return.

I really would like to hear from anybody out there concerning this discrepancy.

Haineshisway/LRS3-thanks for your responses.

I do have the copper edition and it's low.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

I do have the copper edition and it's low.

It would probably be a waste of a few dollars, but, I'm tempted to go buy the "single" Fox disc just to compare the audio levels of the movie. I see Amazon has it for $18. Walmart has it for the same price, also.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:

It would probably be a waste of a few dollars, but, I'm tempted to go buy the "single" Fox disc just to compare the audio levels of the movie. I see Amazon has it for $18. Walmart has it for the same price, also.

That seems to be the only way to get to the bottom of this issue.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just curious: are the extras on the d'Anconia Copper Edition good/interesting enough in a general sense (audio issues on the BD notwithstanding...has anybody mentioned this to, I'm assuming, Fox customer support?) to warrant a purchase?

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #21 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Just curious: are the extras on the d'Anconia Copper Edition good/interesting enough in a general sense (audio issues on the BD notwithstanding...has anybody mentioned this to, I'm assuming, Fox customer support?) to warrant a purchase?

IMO-I suppose that would depend on how much of a fan you are of the story/series. There are behind the scenes footage of the making of the movie, interviews, etc. I'm glad I got it. But, after seeing the extras, I don't feel that I would have missed that much by just buying the "single" disc edition. It's a question only you can answer. Hope I've been of some small help.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page