Why are blu-rays still so expensive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 480 Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Blu-ray has been around for a long time now. I remember when they first came out the talk was that after the manufacturing equipment cost was re-couped the prices would drop quite a bit. Looking at the new releases coming out over the next few weeks they are still on sale for $22-$24 and retailing for $39. Now I'm all for making a reasonable profit but I think we're being ripped off. Many said this is exactly what would happen when blu-ray out muscled HDDVD. Good old Sony.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 480 Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Blu-ray has been around for a long time now. I remember when they first came out the talk was that after the manufacturing equipment cost was re-couped the prices would drop quite a bit. Looking at the new releases coming out over the next few weeks they are still on sale for $22-$24 and retailing for $39. Now I'm all for making a reasonable profit but I think we're being ripped off. Many said this is exactly what would happen when blu-ray out muscled HDDVD. Good old Sony.
Where do you get those prices? I'm looking at a side bar as I type this that shows Avatar 3D on sale for $17. Funny Girl is on preorder for $14.99. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for prices to come down, but it seems like your complaint is overblown.
post #3 of 480 Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think he's referring to new releases of new movies. Most of them are $20-$25.
post #4 of 480 Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Where do you get those prices? I'm looking at a side bar as I type this that shows Avatar 3D on sale for $17. Funny Girl is on preorder for $14.99. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for prices to come down, but it seems like your complaint is overblown.
I can also get $7 blu rays at Wal-Mart, if you don't mind them being 15 years old and of terrible PQ. Why is my complaint overblown? Do you think after all these years it cost 25% to 30% more to make a blu-ray than a standard DVD? With the exception of the latest Twilight, every new major release is between $22 and $25. I'm sure you can find some exceptions but the point is the prices are still way higher then we were led to believe 10-12 years ago. Look at the prices of blu-ray players. I saw a major brand last weekend for $59...My definition of a rip off is when a profit marginis too much, in my eyes, and that's the only eyes I care about.
post #5 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
T.K. Arnold has commented that Blu-ray titles should be priced the same as the counterpart DVD and I agree. It seems that most anything associated with HDTV is more expensive than the SD counterpart. I fully expect that trend to continue with UHDTV as in more expensive than HDTV.

BTW, Sony is just ONE player in this, there are many others. Sony was just one of nine original members that announced the Blu-ray format on 02/19/2002.

For me, I always thought the music CD was overpriced and has remained so for 30 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Maybe if they would stop putting a DVD in the BD package they could lower the price of the BD. I am sick of getting all these versions when I only want the BD. And the 3D versions are even worse. Including a DVD and standard BD. When all I need is the 3D BD and with that I can play it in 2D or 3D. All those extras dics add to the cost and I will never use them.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Supply and demand and peoples willingness to pay more.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Maybe if they would stop putting a DVD in the BD package they could lower the price of the BD. I am sick of getting all these versions when I only want the BD. And the 3D versions are even worse. Including a DVD and standard BD. When all I need is the 3D BD and with that I can play it in 2D or 3D. All those extras dics add to the cost and I will never use them.

I think it costs them like a nickel to include an extra disc, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't have a problem with the price structure. As others mentioned, I just wait until they go on sale. I just picked up Pirates of the Caribbean for 10 bucks at Wal Mart, hardly 15 years old and great picture quality.
post #9 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

I think it costs them like a nickel to include an extra disc, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't have a problem with the price structure. As others mentioned, I just wait until they go on sale. I just picked up Pirates of the Caribbean for 10 bucks at Wal Mart, hardly 15 years old and great picture quality.
Pirates is 10 years old which falls into my 10-12 years old scenario. I understand the supply and demand thing for sure. It will always be that way. My real question is based on the cost to produce a blu-ray compared to the cost to produce a SD version. I'm not privy to the manufacturing costs involved but we were told that when the cost of retooling a facility to manufacture blu-rays was recouped the prices would drastically come down. They have not. FWIW they were talking about new releases not 5-10 year old movies. Most people I know want to watch a movie shortly after it is released. That's one of their excuses for not going to see it at the theater. Just wait till the DVD release.
post #10 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pirates is 10 years old which falls into my 10-12 years old scenario. I understand the supply and demand thing for sure. It will always be that way. My real question is based on the cost to produce a blu-ray compared to the cost to produce a SD version. I'm not privy to the manufacturing costs involved but we were told that when the cost of retooling a facility to manufacture blu-rays was recouped the prices would drastically come down. They have not. FWIW they were talking about new releases not 5-10 year old movies. Most people I know want to watch a movie shortly after it is released. That's one of their excuses for not going to see it at the theater. Just wait till the DVD release.
imo It means nothing to talk about manufacturing costs and material costs and so forth. That stuff means nothing. They figure if you are willing to pay $10.00 to go to the theater you will pay $20.00 to own it. And as long as everyone pays that then that is what it will cost.

post #11 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Am I the only one who thinks that $20 bucks is NOT too expensive? People expect what, to pay the same price as a blank CD?
post #12 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Most people I know want to watch a movie shortly after it is released. That's one of their excuses for not going to see it at the theater. Just wait till the DVD release.

I don't know anyone who buys a movie sight unseen. Perhaps it's something some people started doing recently because DVD's got so ridiculously cheap. For me it's either rental or streaming for something I haven't seen. I typically only buy a movie on first release if I saw it and loved it in the theater. Then it's worth paying the 20-30 dollars. And really, considering you can own something that cost the studio upwards of a 100 million dollars to make for only 20 dollars, I think it's a pretty good deal!
post #13 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have bought quite a few movies lately without seeing them first - mostly 3D family-type releases. In many cases, it's cheaper to just buy the 3D Blu-ray than to take the family to the theater to see the same title - and no one in town has any 3D titles for rent. At least here I know the sound and picture will be great - and I don't have to deal with idiots (except for myself).

post #14 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

?
I pay $12.99 - $19.99 per disc.
That's still cheaper than two tickets to the movie theater in NYC.
I buy movies unseen all the time.
Nice to meet you.

If you don't care to keep it- sell back on Amazon or Ebay.
post #15 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that $20 bucks is NOT too expensive? People expect what, to pay the same price as a blank CD?

I think $20 IS too expensive. My target price for a new release is $15. My target price for a release of an old title on blu-ray is $10. There are exceptions to both, naturally.
But with a little bit of patience, these are achievable 90% of the time. I am usually in no rush to own any particular title as I have plenty on the shelf waiting to be viewed.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #16 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

In the 80's the average discounted price for LaserDics was about $35.00 (about $71.00 in 2013 $s). I paid about $50.00 each (now $101.00) for several LaserDics titles. In the 2003 range the best discounted price for D-Theater was about $34.00 (now $42.00). So for A titles $20.00 on Blu seems to be a bargain in some respects.

To me it is just a sign of the times, folks want to be paid $25.00 an hour for remedial jobs, complain constantly and expect government handouts.

Movie watching is still a luxury, not a necessity. That said, I try to be very frugal with every Blu purchase (mostly Amazon and quite a few titles purchased used).

post #17 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess we all look at things differently. To me $20+ for a piece of plastic encoded with a movie is too expensive. A movie studio spending a million plus for a movie is a high reward medium risk proposition. The advent of DVD's and blu-rays have made losing money on a big release movie almost no risk. Many movies make way more profit with DVD/blu-ray sales than they ever make at the theaters. Actually many movies never even hit the theaters but go straight to DVD. My guess is that a blu-ray costs $1 to manufacture and $1 for studio rights. You are correct in saying that as long as enough people pay then that will determine the price. Supply and demand. That doesn't change my opinion that we're being ripped off.
post #18 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

That doesn't change my opinion that we're being ripped off.

If this is being ripped off, fleece me, baby.

I don't feel special...
post #19 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess we all look at things differently. To me $20+ for a piece of plastic encoded with a movie is too expensive. A movie studio spending a million plus for a movie is a high reward medium risk proposition. The advent of DVD's and blu-rays have made losing money on a big release movie almost no risk. Many movies make way more profit with DVD/blu-ray sales than they ever make at the theaters. Actually many movies never even hit the theaters but go straight to DVD. My guess is that a blu-ray costs $1 to manufacture and $1 for studio rights. You are correct in saying that as long as enough people pay then that will determine the price. Supply and demand. That doesn't change my opinion that we're being ripped off.
Your post just reinforces the fact that cost of production has nothing to do with how much something costs (what's the "cost of production" of a Rembrandt?). A thing is worth whatever people are willing to pay. It's as simple as that, even if YOUR opinion differs.
post #20 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

Your post just reinforces the fact that cost of production has nothing to do with how much something costs (what's the "cost of production" of a Rembrandt?). A thing is worth whatever people are willing to pay. It's as simple as that, even if YOUR opinion differs.

I couldn't agree more. It mirrors the service based economy we are in. It is not the physical costs, it's the market value.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #21 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I could not agree more OP... new BD's are way over priced. but I would assume they are playing for licensing fees and royalties, not how much it actually takes to make a BD.

Disk technology is a dead technology.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #22 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25

One word: Profit maximization.

post #23 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

One word: Profit maximization.
Actually, that's two words. And what rational person doesn't want to minimize his costs and maximize his revenue? I'm sure if you sold a disc, you'd want as much as you could get for it.
Quote:
Disk technology is a dead technology.
What's "dead" about it? Is there another technology with:

a. Lower cost of production

b. Equal to or better quality

That I'm not aware of?
post #24 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I don't think Studios make more money off of BluRays and DVDs. I believe It's the TV air time rights they sell.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #25 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I hear ya - that's why I wait.
I stay behind the power curve on purpose.
I only just picked up a BRD player 2 weeks ago for $88.00 and have paid no more than 5.00 for any of my titles, of which I only have a few.
I will not pay for a new movie just to have it at midnight of the release date....let the Jones's do that, I can wait. wink.gif
post #26 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 10
You know who has it all figured out? DISNEY! Release an old movie for a couple months and charge $35 for it.
post #27 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Actually, that's two words. 

Not if you say it real fast Nono2

post #28 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was told one time by a reliable source that is costs LESS than a penny to make a 12 oz can of Coke. I dont know all the details but you get the idea.

post #29 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, that's two words. And what rational person doesn't want to minimize his costs and maximize his revenue? I'm sure if you sold a disc, you'd want as much as you could get for it.
What's "dead" about it? Is there another technology with:

a. Lower cost of production

b. Equal to or better quality

That I'm not aware of?

No & No. Stamped disc has been with us a long time and likely to hang around for some time to come. The reason is simple, cost. Large quantities can be turned out at very low cost, the dream of any manufacturer.

post #30 of 480 Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Why do new release DVD's still cost $14-16 and retail for $19-25?
For catalog releases, most BD movies can be had for $5-10, just like their DVD version and there are sales all the time.

Paying $5 more for a BD version over DVD new release doesn't sound that bad.
You get better PQ and AQ.

Are we to believe if HD DVD was the HiDef disc format that prices would be different?

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page