Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ask and ye shall receive - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Master-Blu-ray/56065/

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #3 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
Video quality wise it looks good, but I can't quite agree with stuff like "The existing Blu-ray format may not have sufficient resolution to convey the full image detail of a 65mm negative. (DP Malaimare estimates that 8K resolution would be required.) "
There is a suspicious lack of fine details in texture sharpness considering it's 65mm. My personal opinion is some amount of what is known as DNR (very loved word on this forum) has been applied. Encode is very solid however, and it was shot in a 'bohkelicious' manner which makes detail pop out much more than with normal 35mm + wide-to-normal lenses combo.
post #4 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

Video quality wise it looks good, but I can't quite agree with stuff like "The existing Blu-ray format may not have sufficient resolution to convey the full image detail of a 65mm negative. (DP Malaimare estimates that 8K resolution would be required.) "
Did you see it in 70mm? The print I saw was miles ahead of any blu-ray image I've ever seen.
post #5 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM

No, I only saw the bluray. And I was left with the impression that I've seen better 35 mm than this. I'm not saying 65 mm sucks, but that the bluray definitely doesn't look as if it's bursting with resolution.
So my guess is that some manipulation has been made.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

There is a suspicious lack of fine details in texture sharpness considering it's 65mm. My personal opinion is some amount of what is known as DNR .
Yep, I'd expect more detail from a modern 65mm film. Outclassed by some other 40+ year old 65mm films
post #7 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe it's scanned from an IP, rather than the O-neg like the likes of Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. Though you'd think that either way BD would be the limiting factor. Never saw it in DCP projection so not sure what they had to work with, digitally. The analog 70mm image was extremely detailed, I believe the prints were made straight off the negative.
post #8 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 12
How come the Blu ray is in 1:85:1 and not in standard 70mm 2:20:1 ?
post #9 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I saw it at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood and when I saw it, it seemed very wide for a 70mm release.

Thanks for the clarificaiton!
post #10 of 53 Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 PM

That's how it was framed and shown in theaters. It's never been shown at 2.20:1, 70mm screenings included. In fact, it looks like the 70mm prints were hard-matted to 1.85:1. That's unusual for 65/70 but not unheard of -- Playtime was also framed for 1.85, and in fact some of the venues that showed The Master in 70mm used the same masks they'd originally used for Playtime.

EDIT: This post is supposed to go before djdmt's second post, I accidentally screwed up the order by deleting and reposting.
post #11 of 53 Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 145

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #12 of 53 Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM

hey, that kinda looks 2.20:1ish!
post #13 of 53 Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Nobody's denying that 65/70 is normally 2.20:1. But every scintilla of evidence shows that The Master was framed for 1.85:1 and was uniformly projected in that format, apparently with hard mattes on the theatrical prints. (I don't know where that last image came from, but it doesn't look like a theatrical print -- there should be a track for DTS/Dataset timecode, as in the images at in70mm.com. Nobody does magstriping anymore and Dataset is apparently the only digital system with a 65/70 variant.) Plenty of 35mm 1.85:1 films are shot in unmatted Academy ratio, but that proves nothing about their intended AR.
post #14 of 53 Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe it's a photo of some workprint that was posted by PTA on some blog or other during post-production.
The ASC writeup about it ( http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/November2012/TheMaster/page1.php ) says it was conceived and produced as a 1.85:1 film. Which obviously is an extraction from the 2.20:1 65mm frame.
post #15 of 53 Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I believe it's scanned from an IP, rather than the O-neg like the likes of Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. Though you'd think that either way BD would be the limiting factor. Never saw it in DCP projection so not sure what they had to work with, digitally. The analog 70mm image was extremely detailed, I believe the prints were made straight off the negative.

The detail was stunning in the theatrical 70mm presentation I attended. It looks like they lost some detail at some point due to filtering or whatever else it was. With regard to texture and detail The Master in its best scenes should rival Samsara, but unfortunately it doesn't.
post #16 of 53 Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My Blu-ray arrived yesterday.........today I was going to play it and found that it will not load at all.
I tried several times and nothing.
Anyone else having this problem?
post #17 of 53 Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

My Blu-ray arrived yesterday.........today I was going to play it and found that it will not load at all.
I tried several times and nothing.
Anyone else having this problem?
My Netflix rental was very slow to load on my Panasonic 110 player. Took at least 2 or 3 minutes from closing the drawer until the screen said "Loading", then took another minute or two to get to the menu. Player has the current firmware.

post #18 of 53 Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Well...........I switched Blu-ray Players from the Panasonic 210 to the Sony 586 and it loaded fine..........surprised...........something odd here.
Both players have current firm ware as well.
post #19 of 53 Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope this is not a trend... my copy should be here any time now.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #20 of 53 Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

The detail was stunning in the theatrical 70mm presentation I attended. It looks like they lost some detail at some point due to filtering or whatever else it was. With regard to texture and detail The Master in its best scenes should rival Samsara, but unfortunately it doesn't.
While I did expect slightly more high-frequency detail for a new 65mm production on Blu-ray, the likely DNR on its transfer was done with a deft touch. There are practically no tell-tale signs of its use, other than the super-clean appearance.
post #21 of 53 Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

While I did expect slightly more high-frequency detail for a new 65mm production on Blu-ray, the likely DNR on its transfer was done with a deft touch. There are practically no tell-tale signs of its use, other than the super-clean appearance.
You would not need DNR to achieve a super-clean appearance. Not only was it shot on 65mm, but on very slow film stocks, as PTA is fond of doing. The film has next to no visible grain outside the 35mm scenes.
post #22 of 53 Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 AM

There's no grain in IMAX scenes from TDK and TDKR. The International is also extremely clean (and extremely amazing), and it was shot on 35mm.

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #23 of 53 Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 AM

There's no grain in IMAX scenes from TDK and TDKR. The International is also extremely clean (and extremely amazing), and it was shot on 35mm.

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #24 of 53 Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM

I have to say that from frame one it was clear the use of the larger format paid huge dividends in depth and quality of image akin to the best footage from dark knight and the like. It's nice to see someone else embrace the large formats instead of focusing on gimmicks.
post #25 of 53 Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM

NJPETE,
After reading your post on the long load on your Panasonic 110 I went back to my Panasonic 210 and it took a little over 1 minute and 30 seconds to load the menu on the Master Blu-Ray.
Don't understand it........long load time.
post #26 of 53 Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Have a 310, took awhile on that too. Annoying, thought we were past this by now.
post #27 of 53 Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just watched my copy last night after getting it in the mail yesterday... I have to say that the academy overlooking this movie is the reason why I put zero stock in the academy awards abilities... this movie is not only good, it's important.

I didn't have any issues with loading times(oppo 93) but I did have issues with the picture... it's not an issue of resolution, it's an issue with the "hand" or texture of the movie that seems to have been lost in the transfer process. the original movie presentation was outstandingly superb, the images were alive and full of beautiful 65mm color/texture. The BD merely looks great... if there was a movie that I thought would be closer to that "100" score of movies like JAWS that were given in the reviews here.... but it's not. A movie of this quality is why I will get 4k as soon as it comes out in an affordable format.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #28 of 53 Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

Just watched my copy last night after getting it in the mail yesterday... I have to say that the academy overlooking this movie is the reason why I put zero stock in the academy awards abilities... this movie is not only good, it's important.

I didn't have any issues with loading times(oppo 93) but I did have issues with the picture... it's not an issue of resolution, it's an issue with the "hand" or texture of the movie that seems to have been lost in the transfer process. the original movie presentation was outstandingly superb, the images were alive and full of beautiful 65mm color/texture. The BD merely looks great... if there was a movie that I thought would be closer to that "100" score of movies like JAWS that were given in the reviews here.... but it's not. A movie of this quality is why I will get 4k as soon as it comes out in an affordable format.

How is it ‘important?’ It’s not a historically accurate depiction of events I take it? I’m just not sure how you mean ‘important.’

Anyway, I was reluctant to even see this oddly enough out of its topic related to Scientology and whatever that’s all about that I have no real grasp of and how it is seemingly intertwined with some of Hollywood’s most powerful figures. I’ve got enough issues with cryptic secret societies in my life to deal with.

I used to be a HUGE Fiona Apple fan though (not feeling much reciprocation of that btw which has relevance to this sorta). She dated PTA back in the late 90s and he was the subject of much of her music. This is why I am mainly familiar with PTA beyond loving Boogie Nights.

So, I’m outing myself now as what might be interpreted as pretty crackpot. I’ve believed there to be a significant parallel to my admiration of Fiona (and others) and the Jonny Cash story depicted in Walk The Line with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. A college friend of mine’s father was from Johnny Cash’s hometown and went to school with Johnny Cash’s brother and knew the family too which is something I only found out well after the passing of Johnny Cash. I actually caught that film while on a trip out to San Francisco to see Fiona on tour for the first time in 2005. This might just be considered trivia related to my review of this film.

Anyway, I admired Joaquin’s portrayal of Johnny and what seemed to be his honest interpretation of that story and character. I appreciate that he really poured himself into the character and story – I’m not sure if the Cash Family feels the same way about the portrayal, but I at least appreciate that he really gave so much to the interpretation of the story.

I also caught his documentary on Netflix recently, but I wasn’t overly enthused with that portrayal of the behind the scenes of the life of an artist/actor quite frankly. No offense to him personally, but it didn’t reflect well in my opinion, but that’s not the world that I live in and who am I to judge. I’m really not sure that it wasn’t a ‘mockumentary’ frankly.

It did add to the mystique of seeing The Master and how his character exhibits so many of the traits of him as a person or as you would believe after seeing the supposed documentary of his hiatus from acting. The movie itself sort of recalls that PTA Boogie Nights surrogate family of outcasts theme. I quite frankly was left thinking; what a couple of weirdoes, but weirdoes make for an interesting story I suppose. No offense to Joaquin personally. I admire what he brings to the screen.

The picture quality seemed pretty impressive to me, but I’m not the seasoned expert in that arena. I didn’t note any particular stylistic cues for that matter visually. Just seemed like a nice, high quality picture. I was watching it after reading on here it was shot in 65mm and taking note of the detail, etc.

Sorry if I included too much trivia related to my view of the movie…..
post #29 of 53 Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i thought it was a good br transfer. especially the exterior landscape scenes, they looked great.

neflixis our nemesis
post #30 of 53 Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
With Argo, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and to a lesser extent, The Master, the question of a feature film's historical accuracy was rightly front and center this year.

IMHO "It's just a movie!" is a disingenuous dodge by cake-eating cake havers.

If filmmakers didn't want the added appeal and cachet of "Based on a True Story" attached to their movies, they'd change all the identifying facts and keep the essence of whatever appealed to them about the story.

Which is precisely what PTA did with The Master. He was interested in the psychology of and interaction between severely damaged leaders and followers; he could not, apparently, care less as to whether L. Ron Hubbard (I almost typed P. T. Barnum--why?) had affairs or drank or buried his best "scriptures" or whatever.

Zero Dark Thirty and Argo are much, much more problematic on this question of historical accuracy, and their creators take the cake-eating cake-having cake: Both Bigelow and Affleck say--even in the space of the same interview--"It's history, it's a true story" and "It's just a movie, it's a story." I like my Dodgeball with Ben Stiller, thank you.

For better or worse (worse, come on), in our ahistorical aholed-ridden country, movie history IS history, and so getting something wrong (Torture Got Bin Laden--YAY!) has consequences.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page