The Bible: The Epic Miniseries - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Bible: The Epic Miniseries (Blu-ray release date April 2nd 2013)
The Bible: The Epic Miniseries Blu-ray has a list price of $69.99. As of March 1st 2013 the lowest pre-order price I have found for this title is $49.99 with a free shipping option. Click here to order this Blu-ray title at the DVD Empire website.

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries Blu-ray features an exclusive all new high bit rate 1080P quality transfer of the miniseries with a 5.1 lossless audio soundtrack that is bit for bit the same as the studio master soundtrack. Many hours of never before seen featurettes are also offered on the Blu-ray boxset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries Blu-ray for only $34.96

I was just surfing the web and I discovered that Walmart now has the cheapest online pre-order price for The Bible: The Epic Miniseries Blu-ray boxset. Suggested retail list price is $69.99, however currently as of March 2nd 2013 Walmart is offering the Blu-ray title for 50% off.

So for only $34.96 one can own The Bible: The Epic Miniseries on Blu-ray. Of course once tax and shipping is added to the order the price of the Blu-ray boxset is really around $39.99. At $39.99 that is still $10 cheaper compared to DVD Empire's $49.99 pre-order price.

Click here to order The Bible: The Epic Miniseries at the Walmart website
post #3 of 25 Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #4 of 25 Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought it was pretty ok.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Amazon is now the cheapest price for The Bible: The Epic Miniseries since they offer free shipping and for most locations, sales tax is not charged. Currently only $34.96 at Amazon.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2006 View Post

Thought it was pretty ok.

I like most things Biblical, but this show was a disappointment. This NYTimes review expresses my thoughts well: http://tv.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/arts/television/the-bible-mini-series-on-history-channel.html

I think I started to roll (or close) my eyes when the Ninja Angel appeared.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Ninja Angel

Well now I have to watch it.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Ninja Angel was trumped by the plague montage, IMHO...and if that isn't the oddest endorsement...

Semi-seriously: going off the first couple of hours it's a pretty--if in a massively and severely brown way--and reasonably well-shot effort that's tripped up by occasional low-budget moments and the greatest-hits approach (Abraham's story escapes somewhat unscathed, but then just...stops). That said, it's an actual and ambitious miniseries on TV; I at least want to see how it all turns out, so to speak.

(Hmm. Fox is doing the BD. Decent odds on a decent transfer, at least.)

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #9 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

The Ninja Angel was trumped by the plague montage, IMHO...and if that isn't the oddest endorsement...

Semi-seriously: going off the first couple of hours it's a pretty--if in a massively and severely brown way--and reasonably well-shot effort that's tripped up by occasional low-budget moments and the greatest-hits approach (Abraham's story escapes somewhat unscathed, but then just...stops). That said, it's an actual and ambitious miniseries on TV; I at least want to see how it all turns out, so to speak.

(Hmm. Fox is doing the BD. Decent odds on a decent transfer, at least.)

Yeah, Abraham sure looked all of 110 and Sarah all of 100 (assuming Isaac was 10 at the akedah), didn't they? tongue.gif
post #10 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
The Ninja Angel had me cringing. WTF was up with that? There are certainly good intentions here, but the need to 'entertain' is resulting in some almost Naked Gunnish moments.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #11 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

The "ninja" angel was a head scratcher, but my guess is they included it so some action could be featured in the promos. I thought the actor for Abraham was probably the best of the bunch.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Somebody over at blu-ray.com mentioned that the first eight episodes on the BD appear to include several minutes of additional material each versus the broadcast versions; I'd like to get it confirmed on general principle, though I'm inclined to give it benefit of the doubt.

post #13 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think the reviews are pretty funny really. Honestly no Movie or tech site has reviews of this. Any review from the liberal media sites on this subject is laughable at best. Really your gonna complain about a Ninja angel? That's so lol immature it olny goes to show the bias. Were you or anyone else there? What angels have no fighting skills? HAHA to funny.

Anyway to put a book like this in a 10 hr movie is pretty much impossible much like LOTR. Are there changes? sure. Most all of the changes do NOT change the overall content and meaning of the source material. The point was to squeeze content in less time. The other point of this movie was to make it fun and "cool" sp that those with no real knowledge of this would become interested. And they succeeded far beyond what they ever imagined.

A 20 million dollar production for 10hrs of content this thing is fantastic compared to anything Hollywood puts out for that amount of money. Hell they put out 10 times the cash and get worse effects acting and story.

Get it or don't. I wouldn't miss it. smile.gif Just don't let others decide what you want to see.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Only $20m? That's amazing... are you sure? I haven't seen it (yet), but that's a ridiculously small amount of money for a feature of such length, costumes, sets, FX, editing, and all that. Mega Piranha was $5m and Mega Shark was $250,000, so I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility. The asking price of $30 for the whole set is tempting even as a blind buy.

IMO, the bar for biblical epics is set by The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur. Obviously this mini-series can't compare in story/focus, but would you say that it will stand the test of time? There have been a few other hyped biblical mini-series in the past that have simply become irrelevant over time.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I've seen budget figures ranging from $20M to $25M ($22M seems to pop up in multiple spots, if memory serves) and AIUI the entire project was filmed in Morocco, but yes--for its length, even allowing for the no-budget moments, it does seem like the filmmakers got off easy.

As for it holding up over time: that's probably open to debate for the next few years or so. Right now I stand by my earlier statement--it's more ambitious than most projects of its ilk, fairly well-shot, and extremely...brown...but its first half is tripped up somewhat by its FF>> approach to events, those occasional no-budget moments, and bits of unintentional camp (hello again, Ninja Angel--it's the slo-mo that does it). The second half is handled with greater care and largely as a single narrative thread--Jesus and the New Testament in broad strokes--and comes off much better as a result (unless you think Satan looks like the President, but I digress). Overall...true, it ain't The Ten Commandments (I suppose the real comparison would be The Bible: In The Beginning), but what is? smile.gif

post #16 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I think the reviews are pretty funny really. Honestly no Movie or tech site has reviews of this. Any review from the liberal media sites on this subject is laughable at best. Really your gonna complain about a Ninja angel? That's so lol immature it olny goes to show the bias. Were you or anyone else there? What angels have no fighting skills? HAHA to funny.

Anyway to put a book like this in a 10 hr movie is pretty much impossible much like LOTR. Are there changes? sure. Most all of the changes do NOT change the overall content and meaning of the source material. The point was to squeeze content in less time. The other point of this movie was to make it fun and "cool" sp that those with no real knowledge of this would become interested. And they succeeded far beyond what they ever imagined.

A 20 million dollar production for 10hrs of content this thing is fantastic compared to anything Hollywood puts out for that amount of money. Hell they put out 10 times the cash and get worse effects acting and story.

Get it or don't. I wouldn't miss it. smile.gif Just don't let others decide what you want to see.
There are no reviews yet because the distributor, Fox, doesn't send out review copies to the press until the general release date. They do that with all of their movies, unlike most other studios who send their review screeners weeks in advance of retail release. Don't ask me why their marketing department does it that way, as most home video sales for a product occur in the first two weeks after release.

I wasn't aware of how low the budget was for The Bible. I hear the ratings were good enough for them to begin work on another production called Jesus of Nazareth. Most of the obvious problems in The Bible could have been alleviated by better production values.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The budget was 20mil ish give or take and completely paid for by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey I believe.

And... Thanks I didn't realize that about the reviews.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

. Obviously this mini-series can't compare in story/focus, but would you say that it will stand the test of time? There have been a few other hyped biblical mini-series in the past that have simply become irrelevant over time.

Well, I'm still fond of SODOM AND GOMORRAH.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched the final episode and found it to be decent. No doubt it continued to be a Cliff Notes version of the events (due to time constraints) but there were powerful moments. Roma Downey trying to act through her botox being one. Sorry, couldn't resist.

The critics, 99.9% of whom are Agnostic, are thrashing it, but they always thrash religious themed television. What matters are ratings and it was huge there. Massive, unexpected numbers. It tied Walking Dead on Sunday. Hollywood can't understand that. They are just scratching their heads, which is sad. There is a huge audience out there and money to be made on them. Gibson's film proved it. This confirms it.

One wonders what will happen when NOAH hits theaters. The idea of Ray Winstone playing a big villain makes me cringe. Are we going to have sword fights as the door to the ark closes? What is Aronofsky, an admitted non-believer, planning?

Anyone wanting more than Cliff Notes information should seek out teaching Dr. Gene Scott. They are very hard to find, due to his widow refusing to share them, but they are out there if you look.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I watched the final episode and found it to be decent. No doubt it continued to be a Cliff Notes version of the events (due to time constraints) but there were powerful moments.

I actually found the crucifixion in this to be more intense than in the Gibson film, for some reason. Didn't see the whole series but I thought it was well-done and well-acted, given the budget they had to work with.v

post #21 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is a huge audience out there and money to be made on them. Gibson's film proved it. This confirms it.
Faith +1. I'm not sure there's any question that pro-Judeo-Christian media is popular or that it makes truckloads of cash. I think it's just that the people in control of big-budget studios want by-the-numbers, non-volatile films. Gibson's Passion also proved that media hysteria and crazy wackos can make for a lot of unwanted corporate headaches. Is it fear of being not being politically correct? Offending Jews and Christians alike? Fear of boycotts? Hollywood can make obscene and offensive films 24/7 and no one really cares because the people that are offended won't see it in the first place and you can sweep it under the rug as "freedom of speech" for those that do. However, if you screw up something based upon 6,000 years of history and text that 80% of Americans (and 33% globally) identify as sacred, you're gonna hear about it.
Quote:

One wonders what will happen when NOAH hits theaters. The idea of Ray Winstone playing a big villain makes me cringe. Are we going to have sword fights as the door to the ark closes? What is Aronofsky, an admitted non-believer, planning?

Honestly, as someone who enjoys studying the Bible and Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha, I've always been intrigued by Enoch. The idea of Noah and his family being spared because the rest of the world (man and beast) had been corrupted by fallen angels, giving rise to half-angel-half-human giant offspring (Nephilim) or perhaps even other mythical beasts and all other forms of wickedness has always seemed like an awesome movie waiting to happen!

I'll take the tagline from IMDB with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem like "Noah" will end up being anything more than some crazy old dude building a boat.
Quote:
The Biblical Noah suffers visions of an apocalyptic deluge, and takes measures to protect his family from the coming flood.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Christianity is not very popular among the Hollywood elite, either on the creative or financial side. Hollywood could still easily produce this type of entertainment and they know there is a market for it, but they have no interest in promoting Christianity. It's simply much easier to get financial backing in Hollywood for certain viewpoints or other religions. Hollywood knows their entertainment has a great influence on the masses and they have increasingly wielded that influence in recent decades.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
There's something else to consider regarding entertainment tailored for the religious. That something is the so-called sacred/secular divide.

Hollywood clearly knows that the "faith" crowd is a segment of the consumer market. That's why Fox has a "Fox Faith" imprint that produces content (mostly direct-to-video) specifically for that market.

Also, it never seemed (to me) that Christians -- of the "Sunday regular" variety, at least -- want to have their entertainment "mainstreamed." This is abundantly clear when you consider that there exists a sub-genre of modern music called "Contemporary Christian Music" (CCM) for Christians to get their faith-fix within a "culturally-relavent" rock/pop/rap/whatever style, mainly sold in retail via "Bible bookstores".

Christians want to be entertained like non-Christians, only with explicit faith themes and affirmations... hence the "parallel universe" paradigm in movies and music.

Apologies if this got too off-topic.

post #24 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Honestly, as someone who enjoys studying the Bible and Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha, I've always been intrigued by Enoch. The idea of Noah and his family being spared because the rest of the world (man and beast) had been corrupted by fallen angels, giving rise to half-angel-half-human giant offspring (Nephilim) or perhaps even other mythical beasts and all other forms of wickedness has always seemed like an awesome movie waiting to happen!
Agreed. The story possibilities are immense. And if you throw in the theories that Enoch was the actual designer and possible builder of the Great Pyramid, you can really go out and create some wild projects. Clearly Roland Emmerich has read up on the subject, having created two films (Stargate and 10,000 BC) that delve into the theory of the pyramids being older than we are constantly told.

Delving into pre-flood Genesis, there are so many odd, strange, WTF versus that anyone paying attention has to wonder jst what the heck are those versus talking about. Genesis and other books hint at the so called Gap Theory, where between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 there is a vast gulf of time (a theory I subscribe too) lasting millions or even billions of years. Cataclysmic events apparently took place over that time period. More fodder for a big television series. Or a comic book. Or novels (there have been plenty of books on the subject).

Anyway... It's nice to see this mini-series was a huge hit, even if I didn't exactly care for it.

post #25 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox has done a nice job with the Blu-ray set. It appears there is a smattering of unaired material on the Blu-rays which didn't make it in the broadcast presentation. Oddly enough, the extras reference a couple of moments that did not make the final cut for the Blu-ray but still do not appear as deleted scenes. Complete screenshots are available here:

http://www.doblu.com/2013/04/09/the-bible-the-epic-miniseries-review/
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page