is digital media killing bluray sales? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
One reason. ...too much money and shelf space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Blu-Ray sales were never that strong to begin with. Digital media has affected Blu-ray sales, but I think the real thing that has held back Blu-Ray's is the fact that DVD's upscaled to 1080p are good enough for a lot of people. And now that streaming and downloads are becoming main-stream, Blu-Ray sales will continue to suffer. I still rent plenty of Blu-Rays though. The ridiculous rental pricing of 1080p streams justifies me going to Redbox for new releases.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My buying hasn't slowed down. For me, digital can't compete in terms of quality with physical media, especially when 3D comes into play. So it still boils down to what it always did; whether I want to own the film or not. I either buy the new discs, or I don't. The ones I don't, I may watch later in digital, but it's not part of my purchase decision.
muffinmcfluffin and AaronMK like this.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It will certainly have an effect on younger consumers that never really picked up the habit of buying physical media in the first place. We saw the generation that grew up on MP3s decide en masse that low-quality downloads were the format of choice to purchase. Physical media is going away within a decade, driven by retailers abandoning it and younger consumers never embracing it in the first place.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Long live vhs dvd laserdisc and betamax.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've had two DVRs with twenty movies I recorded on each crap out and they are gone for good nothing I can do. I love the physical media.

Art
AaronMK likes this.

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

is digital media killing bluray sales?

Nope, it is called Redbox kiosk and Netflix disc by mail. The prediction is rental revenue will surpass sales revenue in the near future. I have always rented then purchased titles that I liked (LaserVision, DVD, D-Theater and Blu-ray). Have almost 400 BD titles. Will start over once 4K Blu-ray arrives.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Nope, it is called Redbox kiosk and Netflix disc by mail. The prediction is rental revenue will surpass sales revenue in the near future. I have always rented then purchased titles that I liked (LaserVision, DVD, D-Theater and Blu-ray). Have almost 400 BD titles. Will start over once 4K Blu-ray arrives.

I agree, but unfortunately in the longer scheme of things, the popularity of replicated formats looks bleak.

Kevin C. Pohlmann
Consultant, author, and writer for S&V
Professor emeritus at the University
Of Miami:

Quote:
Blu-Ray is the greatest of replicated formats and the last. Five years after its introduction, it is following DVD's successful trajectory. But for whatever reason, many people have opt out of supplying their TV's with Blu-Ray's audio/video data. Perhaps that's because Blu-ray players are morphing into media players that can also receive Internet streams and play diverse files. It's ironic that Blu-ray hardware manufacturers, in order to appeal to today's customers, must add features such as streaming, that are the format's main adversaries. The convenience of Internet delivery is slowing the growth of Blu-ray and over time, streaming will ultimately win the war. On the other hand, the fate of Blu-ray is tragic. it is the most sophisticated A/V storage format ever devised. It provides data of unsurpassed quality that challenges the reproduction abilities of any screen or speaker. It's sad that it'll never reach its full potential, or dominate the market the way earlier formats did.

Ian redface.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Good luck to the studios getting 4K disc to fly or even Bluray to survive: the average consumer is too used to the convenience of low quality streaming and is happy enough with 720p, especially when you factor in the negative aspects of DRM on disc.

I think the decline of Bluray has already started, with popular titles maintaining their prices and not discounted as much as before: the studios are trying to claw back profit from a reducing market by keeping prices high.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A little pet peeve of mine is the misnomer about digital media. BD's, CD's and DVD's ARE digital media. biggrin.gif
AaronMK likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

At this point in time the revenue from digital sales and rentals is a small fraction of the combined revenue from disc sales and rentals.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

A little pet peeve of mine is the misnomer about digital media. BD's, CD's and DVD's ARE digital media. biggrin.gif

Comes from media folks that are clueless about technology. They use terms like analog and digital but have trouble putting batteries in their remotes with the proper polarity. In the days of Audio Magazine, High Fidelity, Stereo Review, Video Review, etc. many of the editors and contributing writers were technical folks with electronics training (engineers, electronics technicians, etc). All of those are gone and what we are left with is glitz and little substance. IMO, the reviews in Home Theater Magazine is about the only ones worth reading. Some this even applies to some the professional mags as well.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I actually love both. I buy all my BD's, but also love the fact that some come with a Digital Copy (not to be confused with UltraViolet. I hate that!). I use the BD for critical viewing and use the digital copy to watch movies on the go with my iPad. My wife also has access to the same digital copy repository on her iPad Mini. So I have the best of both worlds, quality AND convenience when I want it.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

I think the decline of Bluray has already started, with popular titles maintaining their prices and not discounted as much as before: the studios are trying to claw back profit from a reducing market by keeping prices high.

It's funny how people interpret things.

I was mentioning to somebody how cheap Blu-rays have become. I was told that it's because Blu-ray is fading and studios are having a fire sale to get their remaining dollars from the format.

Now I hear that Blu-rays are maintaining their prices...and that's a sign that Blu-ray is fading and studios are trying to get their remaining dollars from the format.

I think people will interpret numbers to see whatever they want to see.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was late to Blu-ray (not that I really collected or rented much DVD). Only recently did I get a television that I really consider to benefit from Blu-ray. My old 40” just really didn’t inspire me to go out and pick up a bunch of Blu-ray discs. I got on the streaming bandwagon myself and was even purchasing a few titles on Vudu out of the novelty and convenience factors.

I’m all about new tech, but I really hope they don’t stop making discs available. I love the new television with Blu-ray. Everything looks good, but Blu-ray really shines. Maybe enough people just haven’t moved up to the bigger and nicer HD sets to realize the benefits? Probably wishful thinking.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page