post #91 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

As opposed to the site that let a person the owners of the site knew was a nobody with no legitimate connection to any home entertainment company pretend to be a Sony "insider" for years, even long after the format war ended, and gave him free reign to belittle anyone who questioned him and moderate his own thread in a blatant conflict of interest? As opposed to that? rolleyes.gif

I grew tired of his BS also. Too many of the insiders embraced their rock star status and got used to handing out their spin and even believing it as fact. If you were to believe one side you would have thought that Toshiba was a poor little guy company going up Goliath when the fact was that it was nothing more than several large billion dollar corporations playing a PR game at the expense of enthusiasts.

Both formats were made better by the competition. BD was going to MPEG2 only... HD DVD was initially pitched as using a DVD9 disc with H264/VC-1. And I'll still never get why some were arguing for a format that had less space available and a lower bandwidth. If it wasn't for those I doubt 3D would have been an easy add for the BD format.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I wasn't pleased when AVS switched to the "new" software.
However, after using it for so long, I have become comfortable.

At first navigating through it was a bit of trial and error now its easy. It's not that difficult. There mobile site is awesome, very easy to use.

Frank
post #93 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

As opposed to the site that let a person the owners of the site knew was a nobody with no legitimate connection to any home entertainment company pretend to be a Sony "insider" for years, even long after the format war ended
I don't recall the site knew he was a pretender....I thought they were suckered too.confused.gif

Quote:
moderate his own thread in a blatant conflict of interest?
I'm dense here....how is that a conflict of interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I'll still never get why some were arguing for a format that had less space available and a lower bandwidth.
See post# 87.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

There mobile site is awesome, very easy to use.
Never used it....I don't "mobile" anything.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #94 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to admit, I don't visit this site much anymore. Years ago I'd check in every day...
Now I rarely bother, nothing seems to be happening, especially on the Blu-ray forum...
But what drove me away initially? I'm REALLY sorry to say this guys, but it was the downright nastyness, condescending attitudes and arguing taking place here. It just didn't seem a friendly, welcoming place anymore... :-(
post #95 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

It's because of the new forum layout and design. I'm shocked that everyone else is missing this and throwing out other hypotheses that make no sense. The art of HT dying out? People don't have problems anymore? Please....

The lower traffic happened right after the redesign. I even went in record to say that traffic will suffer.

I tend to agree. Personally, I haven't lost any interest in movies or my Home Theater system. I tend to spend a lot more time with my music system, but that's always been the case.

I don't come to AVS as much as I used to, though I do come by as often as I can. The main reason is that even with cable modem, it now takes 15 seconds min. to load a page and all the ads, etc. And then oft times three clicks for the back button. It's just annoying and old. And I've only felt this way since the Hubble change. I don't think it should be on me to figure out the magic combination of hardware and software to make the best of the changes.

The easiest way any more is for me to just check threads I've posted in from my profile page. But I miss out on a lot of stuff that I used to just surf endlessly otherwise. It's kind of like if I don't have a nice block of time to do nothing else, I don't get too deep into the forums like I used to.

I love AVS....but it is what it is now.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #96 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I have a feeling Alan Gouger has left the building as well.

A true gentleman and the heart of AVS Forum IMHO ,yes Elvis has left the building........................... Certainly one of the factors he saw the writing.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #97 of 259 Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Jeez, when you guys were initially talking about "The Insider", I thought it was Amir. eek.gif

I do remember Penton-Man.
Personally he struck me as a total wanna-be and never paid him much credence.

To Art's post about his Michigan theater group of friends, I think that is totally normal.
For most people the novelty, coolness wears off and it just becomes another appliance so to speak.

For me? I still get jazzed by my theater room.
It would be nice if I didn't do so much viewing alone.
Not to be pathetic, but in reality the passion for music and movies is not widely shared.

While tons of people have flat screens now, the real cinephiles are few and far between.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #98 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Come on Josh, now you know Penton-Man never gave out any free laptops to you press guys so I would not hold that against him wink.gif

The only things that anyone from the HD DVD camp ever gave me were a T-shirt and a pen, the same that anyone who attended their public preview event received. I got much the same from the Blu-ray side. I wish somebody would've told me about these free laptops. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #99 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Jeez, when you guys were initially talking about "The Insider", I thought it was Amir. eek.gif
The difference between him and Penton was he was company shill and deliberately put out disinformation about BD, while most of what Penton said turned out to be true.
How Penton came by this information and who he passed himself off as is another story.

post #100 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

The only things that anyone from the HD DVD camp ever gave me were a T-shirt and a pen, the same that anyone who attended their public preview event received. I got much the same from the Blu-ray side. I wish somebody would've told me about these free laptops. smile.gif

A lot of tech writers for websites and at the time newspapers were comped free HD DVD players. The HD DVD group was trying to buy free PR. Most tech writers can't afford the stuff they write about so they paid back the gift by hyping HD DVD over BD.

post #101 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I wish somebody would've told me about these free laptops. smile.gif

Don't feel bad, there were many that were passed over by MS. Old news here. I only post this so folks will not think I am making this stuff up wink.gif
post #102 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I'm in the camp that none of this has anything to do with the popularity of A/V in general declining or everyone being saturated or the existence of other sites. I place the decline chiefly on the site redesign.

Same here.

Other A/V sites have not been declining in traffic nearly as drastically as this site has. In fact it's the opposite - sites like the Blu Ray forum are more popular than they've ever been (regardless of how you feel personally about other forums, that's irrelevant).

This site is laid out poorly. It's so cluttered and scattered - even finding this subsection is not intuitive.
The Search function is horrendous.
Moderation is far too strict.

Also, this site's community became far, far too obsessed over certain minor imperfections in any given release to the point where that was seemingly ALL that was discussed (and I include myself in this too, unfortunately.) If a title didn't have slight DNR overuse or any other imperfection it was not widely discussed in general, if it did that was ALL that was discussed. Pages upon pages upon pages of it. It got... old and predictable - I think everyone just sort of burned out on it.
post #103 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How Penton came by this information and who he passed himself off as is another story.

Not sure if anyone has identified who “Club Penton” really was and how he came by his info. I only posted a few questions in that thread and the answers proved to be correct. So he was privy to inside info and/or was being fed the info. My main reads were insiders drmpeg (AVS dr1394), kjack, paidgeek and Talkstr8t.
post #104 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not sure if anyone has identified who “Club Penton” really was and how he came by his info. I only posted a few questions in that thread and the answers proved to be correct. So he was privy to inside info and/or was being fed the info.
The story I heard is he was a jogging partner or a neighbor of a Sony exec.
Supposedly he was drawing out information from the guy and then posting in on the net.

post #105 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Heh- I'd half forgotten all of the "insider info" cloak-and-dagger stuff while the format wars were going on.

I found Facebook was taking a lot of my movie watching for fun time (I ended up deleting my FB account back in December) and I'm more likely nowadays to watch something from the DVD library (I still have way more DVDs than Blu-rays). Real-life stuff has kept me from upgrading things (unless something is broken and unfixable I'm still using it) so I don't have much to say hardware-wise either.

I didn't know Alan left :-(
post #106 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeann View Post

Well he was last online 3 Days 23 hours ago. He must be still visiting AVS.

Frank
post #107 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yep, it looks like he stops by but I'm gonna trust Art on this one. :-)
post #108 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Heh- I'd half forgotten all of the "insider info" cloak-and-dagger stuff while the format wars were going on.

I found Facebook was taking a lot of my movie watching for fun time (I ended up deleting my FB account back in December) and I'm more likely nowadays to watch something from the DVD library (I still have way more DVDs than Blu-rays). Real-life stuff has kept me from upgrading things (unless something is broken and unfixable I'm still using it) so I don't have much to say hardware-wise either.

Talk about Elvis leaving the building...

You haven't been showing yourself around here for a long time as well I think.

Welcome back!  How's Lurch?

post #109 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:

(

Hi Deeann! smile.gif

Are you still rockin' a Panny plasma?

I'm still using my original Panny 4UY as our TV (though now we have a Samsung LCD in the basement for the boys). Though I watch barely any TV. One reason I didn't upgrade is that I watch very little TV. When I have free time it's almost always a movie (I went with a projector for my main viewing room). I know I'm purportedly missing out on the new golden age of TV, but there are too many movies I have to get to in my collection.

As for deleting FB accounts, when work is heavy I unplug my modem. Forums like this are the biggest time-thieves for me.
post #110 of 259 Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The difference between him and Penton was he was company shill and deliberately put out disinformation about BD, while most of what Penton said turned out to be true.

Not looking to debate as we are all entitled to an opinion. When Amir and Kevin did the HD DVD tour, they did an outstanding job. I shot a bit of footage the night they were in L.A. Good times they were.wink.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #111 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Since this can of worms has been re-opend eek.gif i'll throw in my 2 cents.... both had a personal agenda and uber egos to boot, yet amir made no qualms about it and everyone with 1/2 a brain cell knew his ties to Microsoft & HD DVD whereas Pentoman was more often than not sly & sneaky about provin his affiliations with Sony, and as a poster was more vengeful than others.

Btw, our beloved AVS jumped the shark after the Cjplay/TaledegaNights/PaidGeek/"avs memeber leek"/Sony fiasco, which IMHO brought the format war & insider's thread to a new and untouched since low.

And I agree with cinema123, my 14 and 12 year old are equally as happy and satisfied to watch BD or HiDef content with earplugs on their Macs, iPads & even iPhones as they are on a calibrated flat panel w/decent surround sound in the family room.... gives us "old f^%$ks" food for thought about the upcoming generation and their interaction with HD.

I too prefer the "old" style AVS software/layout interface, made it way easier for me to stay on top of all that was happening.

G
post #112 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

yet amir made no qualms about it and everyone with 1/2 a brain cell knew his ties to Microsoft & HD DVD

That may have been true later but even after AVS started requiring insiders to indicate their affiliation in a signature line Amir did not. I know because I sent him a PM with step by step instructions on how to do it and even then he took several days to comply. Besides, in the early days Amir insisted that MS was “neutral” in the HD disc format war. I for one never believed it for one μs. Then I just stopped visiting the HD Media section because hip waders were not sufficient to keep out the BS there. I did return on 1-4-2008.
post #113 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

A lot of tech writers for websites and at the time newspapers were comped free HD DVD players. The HD DVD group was trying to buy free PR. Most tech writers can't afford the stuff they write about so they paid back the gift by hyping HD DVD over BD.

Almost all tech publications receive hardware on loan from the manufacturers for evaluation. This is standard industry practice, and there's nothing unethical about it. They are expected to return it or purchase it afterwards, however.

I can only speak from my own experience. I had close contact with both camps during the format war. Neither ever offered me hardware to keep for free. I had to purchase every HD DVD player and Blu-ray player that I reviewed. I was offered professional discounts on some of it. But, again, this is standard industry practice and not unethical. I was never once put in a "quid pro quo" situation where I was asked to write positive things about any product in exchange for a reward.

That's not to say that nothing shady went on during the format war. Frankly, both sides engaged in their share of dubious behavior. Let's not forget that the BDA threw parties in Vegas for allegedly "impartial" bloggers, and then hired them to write for an offical Blu-ray promotional web site. That's a huge conflict of interest and violation of journalistic ethics.

The format war was a crazy time, but it's long since over. Do we really need to dredge up these old arguments again?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #114 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do we really need to dredge up these old arguments again?

No, IMO we should move on to anamorphic Blu-ray and 4K. I would love to see a comparison of a standard 2.35 lettered boxed BD to a true anamorphic BD. Well I probably would not be able to ever see the comparison in my neck of the woods but I would like to hear what you, Deering, Spears and others have to say about it.
post #115 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

No, IMO we should move on to anamorphic Blu-ray and 4K. I would love to see a comparison of a standard 2.35 lettered boxed BD to a true anamorphic BD. Well I probably would not be able to ever see the comparison in my neck of the woods but I would like to hear what you, Deering, Spears and others have to say about it.

Anamorphic Bluray will only be useful for displays with optical expansion mechanisms or for displays with higher than Bluray native resolutions: that's going to be a very niche market for some time, but then perhaps that is what AVS Forum is becoming.

Unfortunately it will count me out as my ability to be an early adopter of the bleeding edge expired some while ago.

I would still be interested in maximising the presentation of existing Bluray standards (and I believe a lot more can be done in that area such as 4K displays, OLED, CMS, grain adders, Bluray authoring and DRM, frame interpolation within players, etc), so any discussions of that nature will still be a draw card.

However, since this sub-forum is about Bluray software and the discussion is going off-topic, I will close by saying that the quality of Bluray software is unfortunately in the hands of the studios who sadly do not hold it in high esteem.
post #116 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Anamorphic Bluray

No one ever said it would appeal to the DVD only crowd. 2.35 projector screens have become readily available now we need a good anamorphic lens that is priced to appeal to a broader market. Some folks zoom their projectors and are quite happy with the results.

BTW, it is Blu-ray not Bluray
post #117 of 259 Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Welcome back!  How's Lurch?

Thank you! Lurch is fine and says "Hi!"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Hi Deeann! smile.gif

Are you still rockin' a Panny plasma?

I'm still using my original Panny 4UY as our TV (though now we have a Samsung LCD in the basement for the boys). Though I watch barely any TV. One reason I didn't upgrade is that I watch very little TV. When I have free time it's almost always a movie (I went with a projector for my main viewing room). I know I'm purportedly missing out on the new golden age of TV, but there are too many movies I have to get to in my collection.

As for deleting FB accounts, when work is heavy I unplug my modem. Forums like this are the biggest time-thieves for me.

Sure am! Same 4UY here too. It's still a great TV! Overdue for a screen cleaning though :-p

We have a projector we're using for public screenings but no good place in our living room for one of our smaller screens (and I've gotta keep the bulb hours down on the PJ). I'm finding stuff on the shelf we've picked up along the way but haven't watched either.

Unplugging the modem sounds like a really good idea. There was one project I had that was getting tight on time so I set the email to "vacation" and deactivated the social networking accounts (which actually made later deletion easier).

For TV show TV we're just making the rounds back though our DVD sets usually (our local library has season sets too which is pretty cool). Or Hulu. Our old Voom box still pretty much works as a tuner (with some issues) but I'm thinking of getting an HDHomerun at some point (missed the holiday sales) and hooking that into the htpc when a good deal comes up.

Quote:

The format war was a crazy time, but it's long since over. Do we really need to dredge up these old arguments again?

It's kinda like walking into an AVS time machine.
post #118 of 259 Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Not looking to debate as we are all entitled to an opinion. When Amir and Kevin did the HD DVD tour, they did an outstanding job. I shot a bit of footage the night they were in L.A. Good times they were.wink.gif
History is history and that was that.

Let's move on....wink.gif

post #119 of 259 Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. wink.gif
post #120 of 259 Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM

I think a lot of folks burned out.
Most of us bought a heck of a lot of DVD's....
Only to double dip on Blue Ray...and then along comes streaming.

Most of us still buying have to admit- streaming is and will end up killing physical media.
There will be no out cry like there is with vinyl.

I still maintain uncompressed Blue Rays are better, but this weekend I rented a movie from AppleTv and was shocked by the quality.
I have several pre-orders with Amazon that I am considering canceling.
I re sell most of my buys and take a small $$$ hit for the better experience, but I'm no longer sure I need to bother.
I would miss the extras and the 24 viewing window needs to go. You should be able to view the full movie regardless of how many nights it may take to complete.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page