This Blu-Ray Forum is not as active as it used to be..... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As others have said, there is less participation in this forum because HD TV and movies are no longer "rare, new, and special" anymore. They are mainstream, and normal.

Years ago, I was on here every day because I was starved for HD content and wanted to learn of every little step in the move toward HD availability, well before the disc formats were even announced. When they finally arrived, I (and many others) watched day after day for each new release announcement and waited for them to arrive. Now, there are so many releases each week I could never keep up. At the same time, new movies seem to interest me less and less, so the good releases are harder to find among all the others.

The change in AVS Forum's software took a small amount of getting used to, but it has one feature that makes this version just crush the old one into insignificance: The current format can remember read-versus-unread posts INDEFINITELY. With the old software, once you logged on, you better have had time to check EVERY forum you followed, because it was going to reset all of the unread posts to the current time whether you went into those forums or not.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Soo - I do remember my own transition from Vhs to dvd in late 1990.

A neat trick, considering that DVD wouldn't be introduced until 1997. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #183 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

A neat trick, considering that DVD wouldn't be introduced until 1997. smile.gif

I believe he meant the late 1990s.

post #184 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
jvc

Liked: 10
I am still waiting on at least ONE 'deep color" BD movie... THAT was promised, not 3D!
post #185 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

All I see on facebook is deep stuff like "what a great day", "I'm exhausted", "it sucks", "weather is good this morning", "beautiful day today yay!", "I'm home at last!", "Friday yay!" ....I'm so glad facebook exists so people can concentrate on the most important things in life rolleyes.gif
This is why I don't faceplant or tweetie.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #186 of 259 Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This is why I don't faceplant or tweetie.wink.gif

LOL, "faceplant or tweetie". I like.biggrin.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #187 of 259 Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

+1
I didn't think that a bluray discussion of Samsara would lead to a thread-lock eek.gif This did NOT happen with Baraka.....huh.....
I thought you were kidding til I read the thread:eek: Things really went off the rails in that one.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #188 of 259 Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Pearl Harbor- only if it's free!

You'd have to pay me to take it.
post #189 of 259 Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If you're not watching Pearl Harbor as a comedy, you're not doing it right.
post #190 of 259 Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Raoul, If I want to watch a comedy I'll watch one that has comedy intentions from the get-go not something that is unintentionally insipid.
Another thing that occurred to me awhile back, Is it necessarily a bad thing that the Blu-ray forum is not as "active" as it used to be?
Think about it from a snob POV, I don't have to wade through nearly as much drivel as in the past.
It would be nice if the focus was more on the film itself but I'll take being ignored over internet expert-texperts.
For example, not one mention that Shane is being released in June.
Although there are certain parts of that film that make me cringe, for the most part I love it and it is a bona fide classic.
And it's has imo one of the best lines in filmdom, "He's a low-down Yankee liar."

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #191 of 259 Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

For example, not one mention that Shane is being released in June.

Maybe a way of looking at it is that it's never been that active to begin with? Several times I've watched a BD, come here to see what people have to say, and found no thread.

I dropped a hint in the "name that movie" thread - the two movies I posted had something in common, the hint was it "may (be) beyond deduction." Movies are Petrified Forest and the original 3:10 To Yuma.

Here's the hint again - May Beyond Deduction smile.gif

And no, there's no thread on either, although I think they're both stone cold classics. Of course, I don't know how accurate May is ...

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #192 of 259 Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
This forum not being very active is probably just due to blu-ray.com. That forum is very active. Unfortunately, it's mostly topics about slipcovers, how many blu's you have, post pictures of your collection, rate the person above's collection, etc. You really have to slog through a lot of nonsense to find something of interest.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #193 of 259 Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 255
A bit of research seems to suggest it's not just this forum. There seems to be a rising sentiment that internet forums in general have been tapering off in activity for a while now, some suggesting that social sites like Facebook have siphoned off discussions and internet time.
post #194 of 259 Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
We need another format war to perk things up. Those were the best days!!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #195 of 259 Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #196 of 259 Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

OK...you go first.wink.gif

post #197 of 259 Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh I remember them rolleyes.gif Who can forget In Before The Lock eek.gif On another note if you don't see a thread on a movie start one, you never know where it will go.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #198 of 259 Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
It is quite clear that Generation Y people and younger, who have fully embraced smartphones and grew up on Internet social networks, don't have as much interest in using traditional forums such as this one than prior generations. The phenomenon is definitely not limited to AVS. A few years back, most forums would get huge influxes of new users every time the traditional college semesters would begin in the Fall and Winter. I've noticed that trend dropping off in recent years, as apparently college kids these days spend their time on the Internet in different ways. Today the more motivated Millennials seemingly would rather create a blog than try to engage with a community of strangers.
post #199 of 259 Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

It is quite clear that Generation Y people and younger, who have fully embraced smartphones and grew up on Internet social networks, don't have as much interest in using traditional forums such as this one than prior generations. The phenomenon is definitely not limited to AVS. A few years back, most forums would get huge influxes of new users every time the traditional college semesters would begin in the Fall and Winter. I've noticed that trend dropping off in recent years, as apparently college kids these days spend their time on the Internet in different ways. Today the more motivated Millennials seemingly would rather create a blog than try to engage with a community of strangers.

As part of Gen-Y (or Gen-X, there is about 10-15 years of overlap), I mostly agree with your assessment. Millennials do use the Internet in different ways, but only because the Internet is SO BIG that users have so many more options and TOOLS. However, as massive as it gets, it is much simpler to navigate and use due to search engines, data mining, and data aggregation. Not to go all hipster on you, but the Internet has gotten too mainstream.

I mean that in a good way. The Internet is so mainstream and predictable that you no longer have to join 25 forums to learn about or talk about your favorite hobbies or interests. You can do one search using Google (or Bing) to find 99% of your answers. "Why are some speakers 4Ω while others are 8Ω?" or "Why does my speaker say it has 8 horseshoes?" You no longer need to join AVS or know anything about electronics to get your answer. A simple search will show you pictures and videos as well - it's much more efficient than joining a forum, posting 10 times before you can share a link or photo, and then trying to describe the problem just to wait for some a-hole to correct your spelling or grammar. If you're lucky, some self-appointed "old timer expert" with e-peen issues might even answer your question while being needlessly condescending! Totally seems worth it.

Facebook, Wikipedia, Google, et al. have nearly succeeded in capturing all available knowledge and delivering the answer directly to your face - often without even asking for it. Traditional forums will continue for the die hards - for those unwilling to change.
post #200 of 259 Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Anyone else notice this?

From what I can tell, you are quite correct in your assessment. Back when I joined 14 months ago it was far more active than it is now, but it seems to be that way with the entire site and not any specific forum(s). Hopefully, things will soon return to the way they were... smile.gif

oz
post #201 of 259 Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

From what I can tell, you are quite correct in your assessment. Back when I joined 14 months ago it was far more active than it is now, but it seems to be that way with the entire site and not any specific forum(s). Hopefully, things will soon return to the way they were... smile.gif

12 years ago when I joined there were were so few members... It was mostly tech nerds and guys like me that couldn't info or knew there was a better way to design a room than was recommended by the once very profitable retail Home Theater stores.

My very first post was asking for information on a Faroudja line tripler at the recently reduced price of $4000. At that time, you had to pay Faroudja $25,000 - $30,000 for a line quadrupler to get 1080P on your DVD and CRT Mind you it did not have HDMI / DVI as it wasn't invented yet. THe Faroudja VP-301 (my dream piece gave you 540P for your DVD player for the reasonable price of $15,000. The Sony G-90 CRT came out at the unheard of (low) price of $45,000, was as good as anything out there and signal that prices were starting to break. Runco and other had CRT manufacturers had CRTs in the $50-$90K range at the time. There was a heck of a lot of DIY folks here and the theater builder forum was the main place. The $20K forum was also quite active - even so today. It was a great source for information that attracted many industry engineers and personel from the major (and more esoteric) audio companies...

Then came the talk of Blu Ray and HD DVD. The battles started well before either produced players or discs. The majority here favored HD DVD as their was quite an anti-Sony bias and HD DVD was going to be cheaper (this place has always attracted many who put budget above all else). The moderator staff was a fraction of what it is now and the skirmishes that broke out were hilarious and insulting to so many. Threads would go from up to hundreds of posts per day. 'In before the Lock' was a phrase that came to be when threads became so aggressive it was a matter of time before they disappeared. I gladly participated and likely my post count would be 5000 higher if I hadn't had so many post deleted in such threads. I was certainly an agitator but it was all in good fun. Those were the best of times and worst of times here.

What I see today is a mature technology that requires little DIY for improvement. SInce the analog world is gone and everything is 1080P and lossless, there is little the average enthusiast needs to do to get great picture and sound. So many here had video processors to deal with the bad analog equipment of the time - but not so much now. So, as the technology has evolved, the needs of the those who come to AVS have changed. Fewer folks are building home theaters these days and add on products for improved video and sound are very, very expensive (I am looking at a Trinnov piece for room correction that will likely com to $20K when all is said and done). Projection is still expensive if you want 3000+ lumens - you are still in the $40K to $100K range for such.

And way before Ralph Potts, I did Blu Ray and HD DVD / DVD for AVS for a year or two. Unpaid but did it as there was so much interest in the technical aspects of movie picture and sound. I had a reference system for almost a decade that has continued to be updated. I owe the excellence of my system entire to AVS. There were some great minds that use to hang out here and really give good advice that you couldn't find anywhere. Mark Seaton (Seaton sound) was an employee at a small pro audio company when he came to my house to experiment with a new subwoofer system that changed the way many of us looked at subs - even Tom Danley acknowledged our experiment in designing his over top HT subs. This place was where you came for cutting edge advice and design help. Not so much any more. Now the movie forums, like this one here, just talk about the movies, the extras, cover art and other non technical stuff. This was a tiny part of the old forum... (and look at Mark Seaton's company now)!!

But basically you can buy a decent player, receiver and projector for under a few grand get an amazing experience. Much harder to achieve back when this place was the wild, wild west. I've seen this place through almost all of its history and though some of the original excitement and 'out of the box' theater design is still retained, the average enthusiast here today isn't seeking technical excellence like the original members did.

post #202 of 259 Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
also having 2 separate threads on blu ray movies on avs dilutes the participation.

i don't really know if we need 2 threads for each br, the same one could also share ralph's reviews.

neflixis our nemesis
post #203 of 259 Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
People will still come and post and debate, but usually for the silliest reasons. Lord of the Rings threads end up in the green/not green argument about Fellowship and, even worse-because of many more years of the existence of the films in question- Star Wars threads always, ALWAYS degenerate into "why not original versions" or "prequels suck" or just simple Lucas hatred. And it's rare to get much participation in any but the fantasy film threads.

Maybe this just reflects a zeitgeist(sp?) that decrees that most films with any budget are fantasy CGI fests that teens and millenials take their dates to, and of thread participants who proudly declare they can't relate to films made earlier than the nineties.

Just one old crab's take on things.

CW Hinkle
post #204 of 259 Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Unless I missed it early on, I can't believe no one has mentioned the one thing that HAS curtailed my use: no more mobile (iPhone) app! I used to check my "favorite" threads every morning in a matter of seconds. I still don't understand why they went to a new format without having a mobile backup. I mean eBay has an app that tells you "what's new": it can't be that hard!

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #205 of 259 Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can I just pay $50 or something and get AVS to get rid of everything that's slowing down the experience? I'm on cable modem...that's as fast as I can afford.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #206 of 259 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Can I just pay $50 or something and get AVS to get rid of everything that's slowing down the experience? I'm on cable modem...that's as fast as I can afford.

You can join AVS Club and turn off the ads. Else, NoScript and Adblocker on Firefox can work wonders.

-Bill
post #207 of 259 Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Snap...why didn't I know that?

Signed up..seems about 1/3 faster. That's a start! smile.gif

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #208 of 259 Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Much better...more than 1/3 faster.

Damned ads were killing me.

Thanks Bill.

See ya. Dave

post #209 of 259 Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

also having 2 separate threads on blu ray movies on avs dilutes the participation.

i don't really know if we need 2 threads for each br, the same one could also share ralph's reviews.
The case can be made for two threads if one is technical and one is where the film itself is discussed. Sometimes I think film lovers get caught in the crossfire of the tech wars that erupt around here. Green tint!, it's Teal!, It's not the original version!...and so on...and so on. True some discs have problems but it should not be the lifeblood of the blu -ray forum at all times.

post #210 of 259 Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

The case can be made for two threads if one is technical and one is where the film itself is discussed. Sometimes I think film lovers get caught in the crossfire of the tech wars that erupt around here. Green tint!, it's Teal!, It's not the original version!...and so on...and so on. True some discs have problems but it should not be the lifeblood of the blu -ray forum at all times.
Uhhh...common sense is NOT looked on fondly around here...wink.gif

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page