Zero Dark Thirty Blu-ray - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Searched and saw a thread for the steelbook but not one for the actual blu-ray. If this needs to be merged with the steelbook thread or visa versa .....mods, be my guest.

Anyway, watched the blu-ray tonight. Didn't catch it in theaters so the was my first viewing although thanks to plenty of media exposure, not to mention real life events, there's really no surprises as to the final resolution of the story. Thus, I'll mostly just comment on the presentation on disc.

There's some good, enveloping audio surround with good rear speaker action during some outdoor scenes, especially in heavy crowds and of course during the last 30 minutes through the raid on the compound. Dialog is crisp and clear.

The image looks very clean, sharp and natural up to the night time raid, then it gets very problematic once the helicopters are up in the air. All the outdoor night scenes during the raid excepting the green night goggle vision pov shots are almost impenetrably dark to the point the viewer really can't make anything out. I'm sure this was a creative choice to make it as realistic for the viewer as possible but it also creates noticeable banding in places that looked like a badly compressed cable broadcast. The initial shots of the two 'copters coming in over the mountains seem to be almost tv level cgi.

My opinion of the film itself is that it was about as good as most reviews trumped it up to be. Liked the casting, even James Gandolfini who may never fully shake the Tony Soprano character. However the balance between the first 2/3rds of the movie which is mostly procedural detective work by the CIA and the last 3rd which is the raid itself didn't work 100% for me. I can't put my finger on why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^^^

I started a thread but got this message. Thread was closed; release date has not changed.

David Bott
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Hi...

Just wanted to ask where you received your information on this release date? I ask for Sony does not seem to have announced any release date.

At this point, until confirmed, we needed to remove the post.

Thank you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
ralph gives this a 100 out of a 100.

watched this last night and wow!~!!

the pq and aq on this film are stunning. just gorgeous to look at.

great moviie as well. i thought it was the best movie from 2012. clearly superior to argo. and yes
jessica chastain does an extraordinary job as the lead.

only reason this didn't get the recognition it deserves is because it was not politically correct. bigelow probably should have left the
torture out and everyone would have loved the feel good flick. but because she took the tough issues associated with this story,
which is what gives this film so much depth, the various film groups snubbed it.

i actually think the torture scenes are presented in a neutral sort of way. the filmmaker isn't trying to persuade you one way or another
on how to judge this conduct. it is left up to each viewer to come to their own opinion regarding the ethics used in obtaining information
about our enemy.

i think i'll be picking this one up.

neflixis our nemesis
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I didn't even think the torture scenes were that over the top. The ones in Act of Valor creeped me out more.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I didn't even think the torture scenes were that over the top.
The reason WHY, is because they are not.wink.gif

Swine are good people too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page