Life Of Pi - Blu-ray 2D and 3D Comments - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can any one tell me if the US version of this blu-ray is region A locked or not? Amazon says it is region A, but elsewhere seems to indicate that it is A,B,C. e.g. dvdworldusa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-17-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonnen View Post

Can any one tell me if the US version of this blu-ray is region A locked or not? Amazon says it is region A, but elsewhere seems to indicate that it is A,B,C. e.g. dvdworldusa.com

According to member posts at the Blu-ray.com website the 3D version has been tested compatible with Regions A and B. C is listed as no play-back.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Life-of-Pi-3D-Blu-ray/60865/#RegionCoding

I agree, it is confusing.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #33 of 39 Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

According to member posts at the Blu-ray.com website the 3D version has been tested compatible with Regions A and B. C is listed as no play-back.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Life-of-Pi-3D-Blu-ray/60865/#RegionCoding

I agree, it is confusing.

Thank for that - I ended up buying the Australian release (BD 3D + BD, no DVD - but who needs that anyway?)
post #34 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lots of comments about 3D and Pi, so if you haven't been tracking new hardware this recent post about new glasses-free 3D tech---also discussing Pi as a demo tool--is interesting:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484469/ultra-d-is-glasses-free-3d-for-uhdtv-coming-this-year -- John
post #35 of 39 Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
I am viewing the 2D version of this film on BluRay on a Samsung UN75F6300 and it is unwatchable -- it looks terrible and like the entire film was shot in digital video (not well done digital video) and artificial. I've been troubleshooting the set (I'm using an OPPO BDP-95 player) but was wondering if anyone here found this particular DVD to be much more "video-like" than "film-like" in appearance.
post #36 of 39 Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It was shot that way.
Perhaps you should check your telly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Blu-ray : 340
post #37 of 39 Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian View Post

I am viewing the 2D version of this film on BluRay on a Samsung UN75F6300 and it is unwatchable -- it looks terrible and like the entire film was shot in digital video (not well done digital video) and artificial. I've been troubleshooting the set (I'm using an OPPO BDP-95 player) but was wondering if anyone here found this particular DVD to be much more "video-like" than "film-like" in appearance.

What you are describing it typical of the way some TV's process an image in certain picture modes. The processing is generically known as "frame interpolation" because it's a software trick that looks at two frames of the source and it creates an artificial "in between" frame and shows that as well. The result is the look of video: a higher frame rate with very smooth motion. Most of us hate it because it makes movies shot on film look like home movies or shot on video.

Each manufacturer calls thie process something different. Look for any picture settings that might relate to clearer motion and turn them off.
post #38 of 39 Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
Looks like this issue is worse using the DVD source than streaming (Amazon HD -- no cable hooked up).

So, this may be tied to the Oppo or the cables (Redmere). While I did not find any settings on the Oppo that could impact this, I will post to the Oppo thread (note: I have not tested this A/Bing the same content on DVD and streaming).

I will post this in an Oppo thread but wanted to follow up here with an update and welcome any suggestions.
post #39 of 39 Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian View Post

Looks like this issue is worse using the DVD source than streaming (Amazon HD -- no cable hooked up).

So, this may be tied to the Oppo or the cables (Redmere). While I did not find any settings on the Oppo that could impact this, I will post to the Oppo thread (note: I have not tested this A/Bing the same content on DVD and streaming).

I will post this in an Oppo thread but wanted to follow up here with an update and welcome any suggestions.

It's your television doing this, not the Blu-ray player. You need to go into the TV's menus and turn off any feature with a name like Motion Flow, Auto Motion Plus, SmoothMotion, TruMotion. Basically, anything with "Motion" in the name, turn it off.

Honestly, you should go through all of the menus and if you don't know what a setting does, turn it off. Most of these "enhancements" do more harm than good.

As to why you see this more on Blu-ray than streaming, the TV may apply its settings individually per HDMI input or per input resolution.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Immortals 3d 3d Blu Ray 2d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page