Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
eBay?
post #34 of 48 Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 13
I got mine on ebay, but double the price.

Depends where you live. If you have an Amazon account, & how patient you are. biggrin.gif

post #35 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

But watching you play Call of Duty is OK?
Who says I let my kids watch me play? You know what they say about assuming. You fit the saying quite nicely.

Good point. My bad.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #36 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 93
This is certainly a reference disc -- probably the best looking blu-ray i've ever seen. Some parts captivating, some parts disturbing, some parts just plain depressing. It certainly sticks with you and makes you think. Samsara attempts to summarize the totality of the human experience and the cycle our lives move in...and it does a great job at it. Plus, between Chronos and Baraka, Samsra is definitely the best of the bunch, visually.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #37 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

WARNING to anyone who hasn't seen this before.

There are some very disturbing scenes in this that some of you (more like alot) might find disturbing. I had to stop it about 40 minutes in.

My family and I took great offense to the slaughter of animals being portrayed as some sort of art form for our entertainment. mad.gif

Are you for real? What you see is not meant to entertain you any more than what you see in "Schindler's List". It shows you simply the reality of food production in our mechanized, profit oriented world. The food production you and everybody else finances or not with your daily decisions what to buy and consume.
So if you find the images shocking a reasonable reaction is not to attack the film but think about what you have to do with these images, and if, perhaps, you could do something about this reality of our world.
post #38 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Are you for real? What you see is not meant to entertain you any more than what you see in "Schindler's List". It shows you simply the reality of food production in our mechanized, profit oriented world. The food production you and everybody else finances or not with your daily decisions what to buy and consume.
So if you find the images shocking a reasonable reaction is not to attack the film but think about what you have to do with these images, and if, perhaps, you could do something about this reality of our world.

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

So you have a problem with me having a problem with watching animals actually being slaughtered? And NOT being entertained seeing all these animals actually losing their lives? I find it incredibly hard to believe that you would actually have an issue with me not having been ok with all this.

When I sit down to watch a movie, I don't sit down to watch it in the hopes of getting to see animals or anyone ACTUALLY REALLY BEING KILLED!!!!!

I didn't realize that when I saw Schindlers List, that the people being filmed in that were actually being killed. Is that what you're saying? Schindlers List I had thought was a non fictional movie. But I guess I was wrong. Your point on that is not relevant to me. There is a big difference in seeing something done in a non fictional presentation, and it actually really happening. And especially in a slaughter house. I just find it hard to find the beauty in this sort of thing. They show all these awesome scenes from various countries, and then go to a slaughterhouse, how is this also beautiful?

Also I didn't attack anything like YOU are doing to me. I merely pointed out the fact that it was happening. I thought some people might like to know that there are scenes in this movie like that. It may be completely normal for you to see this sort of thing. But for me it was completely unexpected.

Sorry for taking the time to point out that this happens in this movie, and that someone might find it disturbing. I guess there's something wrong with not being able to find the entertainment value of animal after animal being killed.

I'm a seriously sick individual and I guess the rest of my family is also.

So I apologize to anyone here I might have offended.

I guess for you it's normal for you to pop in a movie and just expect that the movie might actually show video of animal after animal being killed in a movie of all things. I'm just not used to expecting to see something like that when I sit down to watch a movie.

After having seen all these animals being killed, perhaps all of you could do as mhafner suggested, and find something to do about the reality of that. Care to elaborate on exactly what you mean by that mhafner?

Let me ask you this mhafner. Have you ever seen Face Of Death? And if so, did you find that entertaining?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #39 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you have a problem with me having a problem with watching animals actually being slaughtered? And NOT being entertained seeing all these animals actually losing their lives? I find it incredibly hard to believe that you would actually have an issue with me not having been ok with all this.

When I sit down to watch a movie, I don't sit down to watch it in the hopes of getting to see animals or anyone ACTUALLY REALLY BEING KILLED!!!!!

I didn't realize that when I saw Schindlers List, that the people being filmed in that were actually being killed. Is that what you're saying? Schindlers List I had thought was a fictional movie. But I guess I was wrong.

Also I didn't attack anything like YOU are doing to me. I merely pointed out the fact that it was happening. I thought some people might like to know that there are scenes in this movie like that. It may be completely normal for you to see this sort of thing. But for me it was completely unexpected.

Sorry for taking the time to point out that this happens in this movie, and that someone might find it disturbing. I guess there's something wrong with not being able to find the entertainment value of animal after animal being killed.

I'm a seriously sick individual and I guess the rest of my family is also.

So I apologize to anyone here I might have offended.

I guess for you it's normal for you to pop in a movie and just expect that the movie might actually show video of animal after animal being killed. I'm just not used to expecting to see something like that when I sit down to watch a movie.
Please feel free to watch this movie and I hope you all take great pleasure in watching these animals lose their lives.

And after having seen all these animals being killed, perhaps all of you could do as mhafner suggested, and find something to do about the reality of that. Care to elaborate on exactly what you mean by that mhafner?

Let me ask you this mhafner. Have you ever seen Face Of Death? And if so, did you find that entertaining?

I appreciate your warning to the thread. There are some graphic scenes, but I don't remember ever seeing any animals being slaughtered on this film. What you do see is the food being prepped for distribution, but by no means is there any slaughter.

As many have mentioned, this film is to show the realities of life and demonstrates contrast between different worlds, religions etc... Besides that small 3-4 mins of "food processing" scenes, I definitely appreciate what the filmmaker did and certainly brought me in an enlightening experience.

I hope the ones that did purchase it will enjoy it as much as I did. It's definitely an eye opener. As the director mentions it in the video below, it brings a different meaning to every viewer. It's up to you to decide what it will be.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #40 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

To bad. Looks like a political agenda film. Bummer...

The scenes in question comprise maybe three minutes of a 102-minute movie.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #41 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
yadfgp, I am sorry but it seems that you are being over-reactionary and misconstruing entertainment with engagement.

Those small segments are not there to entertain in the manner it seems you are interpreting the concept of entertainment, which I assume you are equating as enjoying. The depictions presented are not remotely in the same vein of 'entertainment' as one would expect when watching say a horror film. As it has been mentioned prior the film is about contrasts and the simple fact is that is how animals are handled and processed for human consumption. It is all about context and with Samsara it is tasteful and rightfully evokes discussion.

What provokes my frustrations and moral outrage is the disparity in quality of life throughout the world. Those in first world countries take for granted the simple fact that lifestyle is currently sustained by the exploitation of severe disparity of others. That is a subject matter that should provoke strong reaction in people more so than this minor non-issue.

I find it interesting that someone from Idaho would be so prudish and willfully ignorant of such basic realities of modern society and to blatantly disregard the rest of the film for such a minute portion of the overall experience is self defeating and short sighted.

My point there is Idaho is still a rather agricultural state and society with similar occurrences in addition to truly 'graphic' processing of animals that only an extremely insular lead life could possibly avoid and remain ignorant of.

The point of contention that I and others have with your comments is simply misidentifying the context and intent of the material that you find objectionable; not an issue on whether you find it appropriate to view in your own home.

For those not so sensitive to such a minor aspect of the film it is a beautiful and true visual feast of a modern day shot 70mm film.

Best Regards
KvE

PS
Quote:

The Face of Death is a mondo film, or shockumentary, and to equate how Samsara, in such an extremely minor fashion, and Schindler's List depictions of mans inhumanity is absolutely wrong and disingenuous to insinuate their intentions are remotely similar.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #42 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

yadfgp, I am sorry but it seems that you are being over-reactionary and misconstruing entertainment with engagement.

Those small segments are not there to entertain in the manner it seems you are interpreting the concept of entertainment. The depictions presented are not remotely in the same vein of 'entertainment' as one would expect when watching say a horror film. As it has been mentioned prior the film is about contrasts and the simple fact is that is how animals are handled and processed for human consumption. It is all about context and with Samsara it is tasteful and rightfully evokes discussion.

What provokes my frustrations and moral outrage is the disparity in quality of life throughout the world. Those in first world countries take for granted the simple fact that lifestyle is currently sustained by the exploitation of severe disparity of others. That is a subject matter that should provoke strong reaction in people more so than these minor non-issues.

I find it interesting that someone from Idaho would be so prudish and willfully ignorant of such basic realities of modern society and to blatantly disregard the rest of the film for such a minute portion of the overall experience is self defeating and short sighted.

My point there is Idaho is still a rather agricultural state and society with similar if not more graphic occurrence that only an extremely insular lead life could possibly avoid and remain ignorant of.

The point of contention that I and others have with your comments is simply misidentifying the context and intent of the material that you find objectionable; not an issue on whether you find it appropriate to view it in your own home.

Best Regards
KvE

PS
The Face of Death is a mondo film, or shockumentary, and to equate this how this film, in such a minor fashion, and Schindler's List depictions of mans inhumanity is absolutely wrong and disingenuous to insinuate their intentions are remotely similar.

Did mhafner NOT over react to me?

This thread has seriously derailed and all because of me just giving a friendly heads up on a certain scene in this movie.

Other people have had issue with some of the scenes in this movie as well. Many others have not. Just check out various other sites and you'll see and read similar comments as well.

I'd appreciate it if the personal attacks against me and the inaccurate assumptions about me as an individual cease if that's not too much to ask?

KvE, as I had said earlier, I gave up about 40 minutes into the movie. I'm relieved to hear that the rest of the film doesn't lower it's standards any further for the sake of entertainment.

Your opinion of Idaho could not be further from the truth. I've only lived here maybe 5 years. But being that Idaho is known for it's potatoes, you might find this difficult to believe that I have yet to find a single potato farm anywhere near where I live (about 10 miles from Boise).

There are a couple of farms here and there where they grow vegetables, but I'm pretty sure I've seen alot more farms in my 35 years of living in California than I have in the 5 years I've lived in Idaho.

I've definitely never seen a slaughterhouse here in Idaho, and I know for a fact I've seen quite a few in California!

So I find it extremely offensive of you to just try and use something that is not even remotely true as a means to somehow validate your argument against me! I also think it's pretty hard to be ignorant as YOU ACCUSE ME of being. How can I be ignorant of something I am not even being exposed of as you so blatantly accuse me of!

I don't understand why you and mhafner have a problem with me not finding a certain type of scene as something I'd like to watch when I'm watching a movie.

I don't enjoy watching movies like Saw, but I don't have any sort of issue with others that do.

I think you need to reexamine exactly where your thoughts are on all of this.

Thanks

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #43 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd the movie is actually good maybe I can get it and check it out when the kids go to bed.
post #44 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I'd the movie is actually good maybe I can get it and check it out when the kids go to bed.

I think you would really enjoy it wink.gif

AVSForum
post #45 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 29
I think someone needs to down some chill pills and maybe stick to Disney/Pixar titles lol.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #46 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BTW, anyone who's viewing it with a Panny AE4000, the movie is in a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. I simply created another memory preset to view it perfectly.

AVSForum
post #47 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

I think someone needs to down some chill pills and maybe stick to Disney/Pixar titles lol.
Different strokes for different folks.
post #48 of 48 Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Enough with the bickering. Thread closed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page