Doctor Who Blu-ray thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
First off, any Whovians on this forum? Second, do you have any of the Blu-ray releases, which ones? I watched the classic episodes with my dad, but I've been a huge fan of the new series. I was thinking of ordering all the 2005+ seasons (series, whatever). Sadly, the Eccleston and Tennant episodes will likely forever be trapped on DVD, but the Tennant specials and all the Smith episodes and specials are HD (there might be some upsamples in there).

So if I order seasons 1-4 on DVD, 5-6 Blu-ray, and all the Blu-ray specials, would I have all the extra content? Normally I don't care about extras, but DW is different as the extras actually contain some valuable storyline content. Is there an advantage to buying the Tennant Specials Blu-ray pack over the individual releases? The documentation I've found online is vague at best and I couldn't find another thread that covered any of this...

UPDATE: BBC has announced a Series 1-7 Blu-ray gift set, featuring the Series 1-4 debut in 1080p. I was under the impression that these were shot SD, so perhaps they are upscales? In any event, if they turn out as nice as Farscape, I'll be satisfied. This Fall.

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/dvd/doctor-who-the-complete-series-1-7-limited-edition-giftset-blu-ray-18298.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Been collecting all DW episodes that are available.Some of the real old stuff they wiped the tapes and reused for later episodes--a budget thing I think.Still I managed to get as much as possible--didnt want the audio ones and pics with story line--this was done with some missing elements.
I have all the avail bluray episodes and love the clarity
I like the early years up to David Tennant

I have all on a 3tb drive with each Dr.Who having its own folder
Its a great way to save space and cycle thru

I have the boxsets out on display but prefer having all DW on one drive and watching from there:D

We are lucky to have a scifi club here in my city of Adelaide and actually having a Dr.Who get together this month

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #3 of 29 Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have all Doctor Who 2005 episodes up to Season 5, at which point IMO, things start to become silly (excluding Angels Take Manhattan).

Where possible I have the Bluray versions, although in the Specials "The Next Doctor" is upconverted from SD and doesn't look as good.

If possible, use a player that has exceptional DVD upscaling and you will often find that even DVD versions look quite good, but not as good as genuine Full HD Bluray.

IIRC, the complete boxed sets often include more extras than are included in the single editions or "Part" editions and generally provide the best value.

I'm not a rabid Doctor Who fan, but I do like Troughton, Pertwee and Tennant.

Still holding out hope that the missing episodes from early Who will be discovered and made available: my earliest memories as a child were of watching and enjoying (albeit terrified in some cases) the Hartnell and Troughton eras. I can still remember some scenes from Galaxy 4 that are missing still today.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have yet to buy any of the Dr Who on Blu-ray. I do however have the Torchwood Children of Earth set on Blu-ray. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I'm 50 and watched Dr Who in the 70's, and on and off over the years since.
Neat thing is there is a huge following by kids in middle school here, heck my neighbor made a TARDIS for Halloween last year!

I've caught up via NetFlix. I started watching when Tom Baker was the Dr, then Peter Davison, missed most of the 90's....then picked up watching in the 2000's.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The only new Doctor Who in the '90s was the 1996 US television special with Paul McGann. You didn't miss much. The original series was cancelled in 1989.

I'm 40 and have been a fan since the early '80s. Back then I had to watch the show on the 'ole 12-inch black & white television in the basement. Gained a nice appreciation for the Pertwee years (okay, and Tom Baker wasn't bad either). Never cared for Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor -- but he was surprisingly good as the odd wizard Radagast "the Brown" in The Hobbit.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's pretty exciting that they are going back and converting as many of the classic to Blu-ray as possible. Most of the old episodes are shot on video, forever doomed to look like crap, but some are shot on film.

Doctor Who And The Daleks shot in 35mm 2.35:1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-And-Daleks-Blu-ray/dp/B00BM8WA70

Very positive review! Great screenshots, too!
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor-Who-Dr-Who-and-the-Daleks-Blu-ray/67201/#Review

Doctor Who Spearhead From Space shot in 16mm 1.33:1:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Spearhead-Special-Edition/dp/B00CEB72JU

Doctor Who Invasion Earth 2150AD shot in 35mm 2.35:1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daleks-Invasion-Earth-2150-Blu-ray/dp/B00BM8W94E

The 1996 Doctor Who self-titled TV movie was also shot in 35mm, but most of the elements disappeared after its conversion to video. frown.gif
post #8 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Warner Bros (WBShop) has been carrying the David Tennant Years collection  for $105, it is that price today, didn't see if it's free shipping, but their shipping was around $5 when I bought it.   BBC America occasionally has good deals, but not for that set.  But you do have an option there for another collection that's the original packaging.  The Tennant collection is poorly assembled, some tightly held others loose enough to be scratched and rubbed in transit, but I kept them, they do play. They are now in 6-pack DVD holders.  I got season 5 and 6  in Blu-Ray when Amazon dropped it to $21.50 during Black Friday extended sales.  They've been as low as $20, but then they bounce up to $70 so you just have to keep your eyes open at  WBShop, BBC America Shop area, and Amazon, and Walmart.   I got season 1 DVD for $20 from WBShop but now it's $50,  half that on Amazon.  A very bouncy price. I'll watch for Season 7 and the special DVDs out this year starting the week before  Black Friday.  Last year, BBC had its own special week.

post #9 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good to know. I generally just watch Amazon because I'm lazy and patient. I've set up alerts on camelcamelcamel to watch Amazon for when the prices dip down. It's all worth owning. smile.gif
post #10 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space - "grain lessened" ugh.

The Studio Canal Dr Who BDs have that distributor's standard brightening, maybe a Region A will be out someday without SC usual fixes for 'modern viewers'.

As for the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie that was pretty bad except for the villain.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #12 of 29 Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BBC has announced a Series 1-7 Blu-ray gift set, featuring the Series 1-4 debut in 1080p. I was under the impression that these were shot SD, so perhaps they are upscales? In any event, if they turn out as nice as Farscape, I'll be satisfied. This Fall.

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/dvd/doctor-who-the-complete-series-1-7-limited-edition-giftset-blu-ray-18298.html
post #13 of 29 Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
It also says "sold out"! It's great info but useless if trying to obtain the set.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What part of "This Fall" did you not understand? rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 29 Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

What part of "This Fall" did you not understand? rolleyes.gif

I understand it smart ass. wink.gif I read that it will be available in the Fall in the attached product description. I was questioning why mark sold out on a not yet released product?
post #16 of 29 Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someday we'll figure out inflection in text.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

BBC has announced a Series 1-7 Blu-ray gift set, featuring the Series 1-4 debut in 1080p. I was under the impression that these were shot SD, so perhaps they are upscales? In any event, if they turn out as nice as Farscape, I'll be satisfied. This Fall.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYAE2IY
post #18 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BBC has announced a Series 1-7 Blu-ray gift set, featuring the Series 1-4 debut in 1080p.

I expect 1-4 are upscales. The Next Doctor was an upscale in the first Bluray release and I didn't really care for it: too sharpened and bright. Hopefully they have improved their upscaling but I won't hold my breath.

I'm not even sure I like the re-mastered DVDs in the Special Editions for the early Doctor Who releases with Troughton and Baker: I think there has been too much filtering that erases detail, especially in "Tomb Of The Cybermen".
post #19 of 29 Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

I expect 1-4 are upscales. The Next Doctor was an upscale in the first Bluray release and I didn't really care for it: too sharpened and bright. Hopefully they have improved their upscaling but I won't hold my breath. I'm not even sure I like the re-mastered DVDs in the Special Editions for the early Doctor Who releases with Troughton and Baker: I think there has been too much filtering that erases detail, especially in "Tomb Of The Cybermen".

I'm hoping for treatment similar to the Farscape upscale (576 --> 1080p). I'm hoping they don't use the same filtering as "The Next Doctor", it should be an appreciable upgrade over the DVD if they handle it more subtly. I'll find out tomorrow.
post #20 of 29 Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some screenshots from the first episode. These are PAL upscales. I'll add more to the album as I go. So far, so good. There's obvious ringing in some scenes, aliasing in others, about what you'd expect from an upscale, but it looks better than the DVD or Netflix versions. Plus DTSMA... :-)

http://imgur.com/a/SIZR3
post #21 of 29 Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping for treatment similar to the Farscape upscale (576 --> 1080p). I'm hoping they don't use the same filtering as "The Next Doctor", it should be an appreciable upgrade over the DVD if they handle it more subtly.

The studios should be able to throw a really sophisticated de-interlacer and scaler at the upscale that would prevent aliasing and ringing, yet they don't. Even the public can do remarkable things with Avisynth scripts, but the CPU horsepower lets them down: studios with their much greater resources for rendering CGI would find it a doddle.

I expect it is the same old situation we have dealt with for years: studios always holding something back and doing a less than perfect job, so that they can offer an "improved" version again in a few years and multi-dip. It wouldn't be so bad if you could trade-in each time with the studio.

I'm ropable over this attitude by the studios: it has resulted in "The Hobbit" being released with imperfect LFE, but the Extended version being quietly released with it apparently improved.

Speaking of audio, I'm not sure DTS-HD MA gains you a lot from a videotape source over decent bitrate Dolby Digital.
post #22 of 29 Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From my limited viewing/listening so far, the DTSHDMA track sounds more dynamic, but I'll have to have to give it some solid attention to determine that its not just volume boosted. It doesn't seem like it though, the DTSHDMA track sounds louder in some scenes and quieter in others (than the regular DD5.1). Doctor Who receives just as much love in the sound booth as any other show, so there will probably be times where the lossless track shines, but I'm not expecting miracles.

The video presentation is still on par with most upscales. Generally speaking the additional resolution afforded by the PAL source make the stationary shots and closeups look better than the DVD... it's just everything else that reminds me that it is SD, when the halos and aliasing stand out or a bad key during effects shots. This upscale is just simply not as good as Farscape, which is really unfortunate. If you've got a clean (free of artifacts) SD source of Series 1-4, then you might just want to stick with those if you have a good upscale technique or upscaler to use.

So yeah, I'm honored to be your $300 guinea pig.

I'll have to play with the Sonic Screwdriver remote soon... ;-)
post #23 of 29 Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So yeah, I'm honored to be your $300 guinea pig.
Ha ha, thanks smile.gif
As much as I'd like to own a complete BD set I just can't afford to spend this much since I already have season 1-4 on PAL DVD and the rest on BD. so I'll just keep buying every new season on BD and be happy with that. And what I do like very much is the nice DVD DigiPak packaging for every season. Unfortunately the UK BD seasons come in pretty boring packaging.

Youth is wasted on the wrong people.
post #24 of 29 Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You may be better off that way. I got my set yesterday and sent it back today. It included 2 season 4s and missing season 5. Just think! Double the Donna! Less of the Amy!mad.gif
post #25 of 29 Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That sucks!
post #26 of 29 Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Are these slowed down to 1080p24 from 25p/50hz? Should I get the UK releases if I have the ability to play 50hz/Region B releases?
post #27 of 29 Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I haven't noticed any weird pitch issues... The only other method I can think of would be to compare runtimes.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 10
All of the episodes are around 2 minutes longer than the U.S. DVD's. From what I hear the U.K. sets for Series 1-4 are the same, but 5-7 are not as they just used existing stock for those seasons. That said I would never have noticed just by watching the episodes if I had not compared the timings. I do not see or hear anything that would lead me to believe that these are slowed down (even though they are).
post #29 of 29 Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
You'll never be able to spot the slowdown in motion. And most people won't hear the difference either.
I'm very sensitive to it which is also the reason I always ordered my DVDs from the States. Just so I didn't have the 4% pitch difference.
Did you know theaters used to do this too sometimes? Runnng a movie at 25fps made the running time shorter, allowing for longer breaks so they could sell more popcorn and drinks.

Youth is wasted on the wrong people.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Doctor Who The Complete Sixth Series Blu Ray , Doctor Who The Complete Fifth Series Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Doctor by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page