Jurassic Park 3-D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would imagine this will be available on Blu-ray sometime soon. My experience from watching it in the theatre last night is the conversion to 3-D of this movie works just as well and better than the conversion of Star Wars: Episode 1. There was natural roundness to everything just like in the 3-D Star Wars movie, however in Jurassic Park, there were seemed to be much more foreground information; almost as if the movie itself was deigned to be 3-D from the start!
On the down side, there were two (quick) scenes I could see the digital artists had some trouble with the conversion. One only had to do with artistic capability of rounding a forehead. The other, a vehicle that should have been behind a plant was both in behind and even with the plant (due to it's moving vehicle blind shade effects.) It's hard to describe, but it only lasted about one or two seconds.

I checked out the origanal trailer of the movie and I saw two scenes I don't remember seeing in the film.

1. When Laura Dern grabbed the leaf from the moving vehicle. We see her looking at it in the movie saying it was impossible to be living. But we never see her grab it like shown in the trailer. Actually, that's the way I remember it from 20 years ago! For what ever reason, I think it was simply cut from the movie OR I simply don't remember seeing that in the movie.

2. The water wave in the small plastic cup scene. I might have missed it, but I don't remember seeing the water wave in the cup (due to the dinosaur steps.)
In the movie I saw last night, I remember seeing the water wave outside in a puddle, but I don't remember the water wave in the small cup. I don't think that would have been cut out of the movie, I must have glanced down or been eating popcorn during that quick scene.

The original trailer;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim7RtKXv90

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It will be out on 3D Blu-ray on April 23rd.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
1. It's not in the movie, but it should have been!
2. It's in the movie
post #4 of 24 Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I checked out the origanal trailer of the movie and I saw two scenes I don't remember seeing in the film.

1. When Laura Dern grabbed the leaf from the moving vehicle. We see her looking at it in the movie saying it was impossible to be living. But we never see her grab it like shown in the trailer. Actually, that's the way I remember it from 20 years ago! For what ever reason, I think it was simply cut from the movie OR I simply don't remember seeing that in the movie.

That scene was cut from the final edit of the movie along with an extended scene elaborating on why the Triceratops was sick.

Probably the most controversial "edit" which supposedly was made after the movie was in theaters but *before* any home video release was the T-Rex crashing through a wall just before it "rescues" the humans from the Raptors. Over the years, there's been numerous people who claim to have seen such a scene during it's initial theatrical run. I saw the film several times the first week of its theatrical release and I never saw such a scene.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

That scene was cut from the final edit of the movie along with an extended scene elaborating on why the Triceratops was sick.

Probably the most controversial "edit" which supposedly was made after the movie was in theaters but *before* any home video release was the T-Rex crashing through a wall just before it "rescues" the humans from the Raptors. Over the years, there's been numerous people who claim to have seen such a scene during it's initial theatrical run. I saw the film several times the first week of its theatrical release and I never saw such a scene.

I remember talking with my friends in the theater about that. "Where did she come from?" We all thought it was strange that no one felt or heard or saw it sneak up in a foyer. LOL

Also, I had the "making of" book that talked about how they got the cup of water to ripple. A heavy harp or guitar string connected to the underside of the dash was strummed.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I remember that scene.

The same thing happened to me with gladiator. In the theater I remembered maximus looking through a grate into the arena and having christians huddled in a bunch while lions were being let in. Then when the dvd came out the scene was gone....
post #7 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Jeez this is out on 3D Blu Ray already? I feel like it just came out in IMAX a month ago. Films make it to disc so fast now, not even worth going to the movie theater if you have a half decent setup imo.

post #8 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Jeez this is out on 3D Blu Ray already? I feel like it just came out in IMAX a month ago. Films make it to disc so fast now, not even worth going to the movie theater if you have a half decent setup imo.

Like with Raiders of the Lost Ark last year, the theatrical re-release of Jurassic Park was only intended as a limited time event to drum up interest for the Blu-ray.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
post #10 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Like with Raiders of the Lost Ark last year, the theatrical re-release of Jurassic Park was only intended as a limited time event to drum up interest for the Blu-ray.

Probably true, but also the 3D is better served (for most) and usually more effective in a theater than on 42" - 55" screens

post #11 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Picked this up last week on 3D and was blown away.
Just an amazing conversion job.
This was supposedly the same team that did Titanic, I saw that 3D in the theaters and didn't remember as many wow moments that I had watching this one at home.
post #12 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

Picked this up last week on 3D and was blown away.
Just an amazing conversion job.
This was supposedly the same team that did Titanic, I saw that 3D in the theaters and didn't remember as many wow moments that I had watching this one at home.

And rewatching it again, it still drives me crazy when hearing that glaring script error. (unless someone can explain it to me).
When the lawyer is riding in the jeep and says something like.

In 24 hours, if the investors aren't happy, then I am not happy.

I would think it was supposed to read something like...

In 24 hours if I am not happy, the investors won't be happy.

How that got past the editors is beyond me.
Who cares if the lawyer is happy once the investors make up their mind???

Jurassic Park has numerous errors. The T-Rex breaking the fence even though there's a huge dropoff which should make it impossible for him to reach the fence, door being open and then closed in different shots in the T-Rex scene, same sign pointing in different directions in Dilophosaurus scene, bad wigs on stuntmen, and that line you point out bugs me too. But it's still my favorite movie.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM

"48 hours from now, if they're not convinced, I'm not convinced."

This isn't actually an error. By "they" Gennaro is referring to Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler and Ian Malcolm. Gennaro is only present to gauge the trio's reactions and report them back to the park's investors, whom he represents. I agree it could have been clearer in the delivery, but when considering the context it makes perfect sense.

The other errors - particularly the magical chasm appearing just inside of the T-Rex paddock - do bug me though. For some reason Spielberg's films tend to be riddled with continuity errors of this kind. Doesn't make me love them any less, but I do wonder why sometimes.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar McNulty View Post

particularly the magical chasm appearing just inside of the T-Rex paddock - do bug me though
I always thought it was an error, but it's not:

The red circle shows the place behind the fence from which T-Rex came. But it's still stupid, because there's giant drop off between two places on his area and he could kill himself falling from the chasm.

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #15 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I always figured it was just mutli-level, given the size of the animal. Although I haven't read it in years, I believe the book also makes mention of the dropoff.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar McNulty View Post

"48 hours from now, if they're not convinced, I'm not convinced."

This isn't actually an error. By "they" Gennaro is referring to Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler and Ian Malcolm. Gennaro is only present to gauge the trio's reactions and report them back to the park's investors, whom he represents. I agree it could have been clearer in the delivery, but when considering the context it makes perfect sense.

The other errors - particularly the magical chasm appearing just inside of the T-Rex paddock - do bug me though. For some reason Spielberg's films tend to be riddled with continuity errors of this kind. Doesn't make me love them any less, but I do wonder why sometimes.

Thanks, I deleted that part of my post after reading an explanation of this online, the first time it was made clear to me.
Apparently Genarro points to the scientists when he says "they" aren't convinced, I'm not convinced.

Probably should have been made clearer.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I actually never caught that before, I always wondered why that line was like that. Without seeing him point, you assume the "they" he's talking about are the investors that he mentioned two seconds prior.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM

One thing that annoys me about this movie - in the theater, on Blu-ray, etc - is how in the final scene where the T-Rex bellows after knocking off the two raptors, its huge roar is only heard out of the center channel. This is a huge beast in an enclosed space. That roar should be resonating off the walls and everything else, and I should be hearing it out of every available speaker. Hearing it out of only the front takes away fro the epic nature of the ending. I wish they would have thought about that and changed it.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post

One thing that annoys me about this movie - in the theater, on Blu-ray, etc - is how in the final scene where the T-Rex bellows after knocking off the two raptors, its huge roar is only heard out of the center channel. This is a huge beast in an enclosed space. That roar should be resonating off the walls and everything else, and I should be hearing it out of every available speaker. Hearing it out of only the front takes away fro the epic nature of the ending. I wish they would have thought about that and changed it.

More importantly, how did it get in there and how did they not see it? ;D

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #20 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Through the opening on the one side where you can see tarps and scaffolding smile.gif
post #21 of 24 Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post

Through the opening on the one side where you can see tarps and scaffolding smile.gif

Correct. The Visitor's Center was not finished. You can see the scaffolding and plastic tarps in the beginning of the movie too.

Also, if you look closely when the raptors attack the T-Rex, you can see the tarps are ripped.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The most interesting thing to me is that nobody heard this 10 ton beast coming in.

post #23 of 24 Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

The most interesting thing to me is that nobody heard this 10 ton beast coming in.

Most predators are silent when stalking their prey, even the big ones. Some people have made the argument regarding the vibrations being audible, but in both scenarios from the film, the T-Rex was either just walking up to get fed (the goat scene) or chasing after Ellie and Muldoon (the Jeep scene). No matter how you slice it: movie magic. Don't question it.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

More importantly, how did it get in there and how did they not see it? ;D

They couldn't hear it over the John Williams score.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page