Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Apparently, there's a significant screw-up on the new Blu-ray/dvd release. Thank's to "Roccos" over at BR.com for originally bringing these changes/mistakes up:

"I just posted something a little disturbing in the Disney forum and would like to ask anyone who owns a copy of the blu ray if he noticed it too.

Here is what I posted:

I just watched the blu ray and although I'm only half way through, I just had to point out a few things.

1. The "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" always appeared when we see those corals or whatever but now it's when we see the little fish from afar swimming away from the ship.

2. After the shark scene, when we see Ariel and Flounder swimming up to see Scuttle, it used to fade into the very first image of Scuttle, but now it just cuts to him without fading out.

And, brace yourselves for the next one...

Remember when Ariel reaches her hand out at the end of Part of Your World? Then we see her from afar under a beam of light, and then we see Flounder sighing... Now it's the other way around. We first see Flounder and then Ariel is under the light. And it looks awfully weird because then it cuts right to Ariel sitting on the rock singing the last "...world".

Seems like they put it in the wrong order. "

During the scene in which Ariel sings "Part Of Your World, a pair cuts at the end of that scene are flipped out of sequence resulting in the worlds being drastically out of sync with the animation as seen in this YouTube clip (which also includes a link to the original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Kg57ivgvFE

Disney has really been dropping the ball on their animated releases lately.
post #3 of 37 Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not out until October. So....
post #4 of 37 Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

It's ok to complete that thought.
chirpie likes this.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It wouldn't surprise me if Disney altered The Little Mermaid. Their home video department seems to think every new home version is a chance for revisionism. I also believe their quality control has gotten sloppy in the past three years. Remember the problems on Pinocchio?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 37 Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

It's ok to complete that thought.

I assume he's wondering how this "Roccos" guy allegedly obtained a copy of the Blu-ray two months early.

However, the disc will be released in Europe on September 2nd, so it's possible that some copies (perhaps review screeners?) may have slipped out early in that region.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 37 Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Wow they can't get a big release like TLM right? I can understand a second tier film like The Sword in the Stone but dang I've been looking forward to TLM for quite awhile now. Disappointing for sure and I'm hoping there's a quick fix for this because that's unacceptable. Imagine if they had screwed up Lion King like this?

post #8 of 37 Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
THE LITTLE MERMAID is a troubled title for them to transfer properly with each new edition they short change it every time.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Imagine if they had screwed up Lion King like this?

Well, they did revise and re-render some scenes in The Lion King, so it looks like Disney is taking every opportunity to prevent the original versions of all their animations from being released in high quality.

Maybe they have been taking pointers from George Lucas.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Apparently, there's a significant screw-up on the new Blu-ray/dvd release. Thank's to "Roccos" over at BR.com for originally bringing these changes/mistakes up:

"I just posted something a little disturbing in the Disney forum and would like to ask anyone who owns a copy of the blu ray if he noticed it too.

Here is what I posted:

I just watched the blu ray and although I'm only half way through, I just had to point out a few things.

1. The "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" always appeared when we see those corals or whatever but now it's when we see the little fish from afar swimming away from the ship.

2. After the shark scene, when we see Ariel and Flounder swimming up to see Scuttle, it used to fade into the very first image of Scuttle, but now it just cuts to him without fading out.

And, brace yourselves for the next one...

Remember when Ariel reaches her hand out at the end of Part of Your World? Then we see her from afar under a beam of light, and then we see Flounder sighing... Now it's the other way around. We first see Flounder and then Ariel is under the light. And it looks awfully weird because then it cuts right to Ariel sitting on the rock singing the last "...world".

Seems like they put it in the wrong order. "

During the scene in which Ariel sings "Part Of Your World, a pair cuts at the end of that scene are flipped out of sequence resulting in the worlds being drastically out of sync with the animation as seen in this YouTube clip (which also includes a link to the original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Kg57ivgvFE

Disney has really been dropping the ball on their animated releases lately.

Looks like they messed up on the line work as well. Take a look a flounder and his fin is behind the line of his body.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Well, they did revise and re-render some scenes in The Lion King, so it looks like Disney is taking every opportunity to prevent the original versions of all their animations from being released in high quality.

That's disappointing to hear although I can understand why they're doing it. Still, the overall package to me is impressive which is something that apparently can't be said for this movie.

post #12 of 37 Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Looks like they messed up on the line work as well. Take a look a flounder and his fin is behind the line of his body.

The lines look the same to me.
post #13 of 37 Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

That's consistent throughout the movie. Flounder's fins are transparent, so you can always see the line of his body through his fins.
post #14 of 37 Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

The lines look the same to me.

That's quite a f-k up on Disney's part. There is no reason for the Part of Your World scene flip. They just cut the restoration master together wrong.

This does call for a new pressing. Will we get it? Highly doubtful.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 37 Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Not only that, they accidentally deleted the Mufasa spirit clouds in the scene where Simba was sprinting towards them as Mufasa's voice was fading away saying "Remember" while Simba was yelling "Don't leave me!" That was the biggest error of that release. (That and I really wish they would've included the enhanced home theater mix from the DVD.)

•

post #16 of 37 Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Not only that, they accidentally deleted the Mufasa spirit clouds in the scene where Simba was sprinting towards them as Mufasa's voice was fading away saying "Remember" while Simba was yelling "Don't leave me!" That was the biggest error of that release. (That and I really wish they would've included the enhanced home theater mix from the DVD.)
That error was in the IMAX release supposedly - not sure how it managed to go unnoticed all that time. Does Disney not have a team of people to do something like, you know, quality control?
post #17 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There is a recall up, per a link at the Digital Bits.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/102113_1145

I wonder if they have new versions of the 2d and 3d versions...also was gonig to buy this, and wonder if its worth waiting for now.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #18 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A couple important notes:

1. Disney is redoing the 2D Blu-ray and DVD only. They will not be reissuing the 3D Blu-ray.
  2. You will need to send them your discs alone first; upon receiving them they will send you replacement discs only. I've no idea what happens if your discs get lost in the mail. eek.gif
post #19 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

A couple important notes:

1. Disney is redoing the 2D Blu-ray and DVD only. They will not be reissuing the 3D Blu-ray.
  2. You will need to send them your discs alone first; upon receiving them they will send you replacement discs only. I've no idea what happens if your discs get lost in the mail. eek.gif

Answer: you're screwed.

I put my copies in the mail on Monday. A prepaid media mail sticker is included. You send back the case number sheet describing the reason for the exchange and the UPC number from the disc case (it's a Dear John form letter). The instructions say to return the case, but the customer service lady had pointed out that they only wanted the discs.

post #20 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
any chance the blu ray gets to redbox? i'd love to see it again but don't want to pay north of $10 to purchase it.
post #21 of 37 Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my replacement Blu-ray and DVD copies today. Checking tonight to see if they fixed anything.

post #22 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I called Disney to find out some status, as I sent my discs in as soon as I heard about the repressing, and it's been about six weeks at this point.

They stated that it wouldn't be until after Christmas or the first of the year, and the rep I spoke to was unaware of any corrected discs having been shipped out as of yet.
post #23 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FWIW, I called Disney to find out some status, as I sent my discs in as soon as I heard about the repressing, and it's been about six weeks at this point.

They stated that it wouldn't be until after Christmas or the first of the year, and the rep I spoke to was unaware of any corrected discs having been shipped out as of yet.

That's strange... what did some of us receive already?

post #24 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How would I go about getting a replacement ?
post #25 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

That's strange... what did some of us receive already?

I got my replacements last week as well. Haven't checked them out yet.
post #26 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:

How would I go about getting a replacement ?

The replacement info is on this page...
http://thedisneyblog.com/2013/10/22/disney-replacing-little-mermaid-blu-ray-dvd-due-to-editting-error/
post #27 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sent my discs in within a week or two of the release date. I just received my replacements yesterday. I haven't watched them yet but will soon. I can't imagine them sending back the faulty discs (but you never know).

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #28 of 37 Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 PM

I got my replacement copy today. The fade for Scuttle's intro has been restored, and Part of Your World has been fixed.

The "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" credit is still too early though. The "Produced in Association with Silver Screen Partners IV" credit is still removed.
post #29 of 37 Old 12-13-2013, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Got mine today; strange. smile.gif
post #30 of 37 Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 AM

The fixed edition seems to be out in the wild. I bought 'The Little Mermaid' on december second for $15 on amazon's december-sale. I got it today, and It's the fixed version (2D), yay biggrin.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Little Mermaid Three Disc Diamond Edition Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Music , The Little Mermaid Two Disc Diamond Edition Blu Ray Dvd In Blu Ray Packaging

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page