Played The Avengers Blu Ray and nearly blew out my speaker system. What gives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Dear sweet Christ, I rented Avengers tonight using my new sony BDP-BX510 blu ray player through my Yamaha HTR-5930 5.1 DTS system I've had for years and the movie when it got to an action damn near blew out my surround system sub woofer because of the insane amount of bass that came out of nowhere because I had to raise the volume to be able to hear people speak.

Either the movie on the disc has some REALLY weird balance issues that required me to basically disable my subwoofer or the fact that blue ray has some type of audio code that raises the volume level, I had to crank my system way down and put the speakers in straight more less I piss off every single neighbor in my apt complex by keeping it in surround sound mode.

What the hell gives with Blue Ray discs that would throw my normally balanced 5.1 system for Xbox 360 optical sound usage completely out of whack like this that damn near turned my apt to an earthquake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You should really go out and get the Bluray X-Men First Class, and give that a spin in your hometheater :-)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It's unlikely that the balance issue is with the disc. Avengers is a well-crafted disc. My dad has that same receiver and it doesn't support HD audio, so you have to downmix from the Blu-ray player over COAX. Make sure your settings on the player are correct. Then I'd recommend adjusting the gain and crossover of your subwoofer until you can hear the dialog without waking your neighbors.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

What settings would I need to adjust for downmixing?
post #5 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What I meant is that it already is downmixing, but you may need to tweak some settings in your Blu-ray player if possible. Check your manual and the player's audio settings to be sure.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
if you can't fugure it out, just turn up your center speaker, then lower the OVERALL volume.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #7 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
That is a classic sign of problematic poor room acoustics and / or a sub that just cannot handle the lowest frequencies. When you have to turn up the dialog, you either have a high noise floor and / or a dip in the frequencies where vocals are... so consequently you have to increase the volume to bring up those vocal frequencies in order to hear them - thereby raising your sub levels s well. Then the subs nearly blow out at a dynamic scene. EQing yoyur subs might to the most to help if all else seems good.

This is a home theater site for enthusiast. Your problem is in many ways the impetus for most here who spend the $$ to improve their rooms (e.g. better speaker placement, digital signal processing, room correction, acoustical materials, and professional audio calibration.

I've spent $$$ acoustically treating my room, adding digital signal processing and EQ, having it professionally calibrated and buying subs that really can't blow out at most any level. When you get all things right, you place your volume at a level you prefer and never need to touch it. Good luck!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Yeah, not gonna happen for my apt town house and basic sound system.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

^^^^ Yeah, not gonna happen for my apt town house and basic sound system.

Have you done a basic calibration for each of the channels with an SPL meter and calibration disc such as Avia or DVE to get everything balanced at the LP?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Have you done a basic calibration for each of the channels with an SPL meter and calibration disc such as Avia or DVE to get everything balanced at the LP?

Huh?
post #11 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

Huh?

Look at page 22 of your owners manual.........

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5930_black__u/?mode=model

You need to adjust the individual speaker levels at your listening position so they are all the same volume and balanced. You also need to do some general bass management by setting your speakers to small or large, set speaker distances, etc......if you have not done so. Refer to page 52-55

You can set the levels with either the internal test tone of your receiver, or better yet with a calibration disc like Avia or Digital Video Essentials (these discs will walk you through how to do this with your SPL meter). You will also need a SPL meter which you can get from various places such as Radio shack or Amazon so you can measure the speaker levels and then adjust/balance them.

http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-AVM2050-ANALOGUE-SOUND-LEVEL/dp/B000LR169Q/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1366582875&sr=8-20&keywords=SPL+meter

post #12 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
In addition to the one Toe recommenced there is one available from Radio Shack here. If you want to spring for a better SPL meter then a calibrated one can be found here. If you have an iPad then you could use the SPL Meter app that is available on the cheap, it is better than no meter at all.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

iPad (or iPhone) dB Meter info here. IMO, I would not use the app in place of a good SPL Meter. The app should work in a pinch.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

In addition to the one Toe recommenced there is one available from Radio Shack here. If you want to spring for a better SPL meter then a calibrated one can be found here. If you have an iPad then you could use the SPL Meter app that is available on the cheap, it is better than no meter at all.

Thanks for the info Wendell. Do you happen to know how high the calibrated meter reads for taking max SPL? My cheap analog meter stops at 126db and I would like to not only get a better meter at some point like the one you linked, but one that can read a bit higher.

Thanks for the app info as well.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Do you happen to know how high the calibrated meter reads for taking max SPL?

130 dB SPL, info here. That seems to be the limit of most of the lower cost SPL meters. Like many other inexpensive SPL meters, they should not be be used for frequency response testing.

To get high level (140 dB) testing and wideband response will require something like the Brüel & Kjær line of meters. These meters most likely cost in the multi thousands. Brüel & Kjær is a pro line of equipment and IMHO, make the BEST microphones in the world, we were lucky to have some at my work place.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

130 dB SPL, info here. That seems to be the limit of most of the lower cost SPL meters. Like many other inexpensive SPL meters, they should not be be used for frequency response testing.

To get high level (140 dB) testing and wideband response will require something like the Brüel & Kjær line of meters. These meters most likely cost in the multi thousands. Brüel & Kjær is a pro line of equipment and IMHO, make the BEST microphones in the world, we were lucky to have some at my work place.

Great info Wendell. Thanks! smile.gif

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page