High percentage of blu-rays in my Netflix queue have downgraded audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Rik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this has been talked to death. I have not been on AVS for awhile. I visited today expecting this to be a hot topic and I really couldn't find anything on it. Anyway - I understand that some studios (seemingly more and more) are releasing rental version with only compressed audio tracks and no extras. I could care less about the extras but the downgraded audio is an issue for me. I get that they do this to 'persuade' us to purchase the film but ... for me at least it does exactly the opposite. Generally I will not purchase until I have watched it first and I generally don't watch those with the downgraded audio. In my case at least - this strategy is backfiring for them. But I pay the price as well. Is there anything we can do about this? Anyone written to the studios etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Personally, I never purchase a disc that has been stripped down for rentals. (I'm especially angry about eliminating commentary tracks.) The studios don't really care about consumer satisfaction (see TOTAL RECALL). So I just don't even bother buying them, just on principle alone. They lost my money.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Lions Gate has been notorious for replacing lossless audio tracks with standard DD on their rental discs. However, it has been several months since I have rented one of their movies that wasn't in DTS MA. I can only hope that this is a new trend and that they have realized that their previous policy had little impact on their retail market

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just rented The Cabin the woods and its a Lionsgate release. The blu-ray cover CLEARLY states it has DTS-MA but when you view the menu you do not see it as an option, only Dolby Digital.

1) You pay extra for Blu Ray
2) Your blu ray only has high def video but std. def audio (only way you know this if you got to the specific movie page and look up Blu Ray Details, which is not how most folks "Add" to their Queue)
3) Lastly the blu ray intentionally misrepresents that it has a high def audio track when it does not.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit...
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

I just rented The Cabin the woods and its a Lionsgate release. The blu-ray cover CLEARLY states it has DTS-MA but when you view the menu you do not see it as an option, only Dolby Digital.

1) You pay extra for Blu Ray
2) Your blu ray only has high def video but std. def audio (only way you know this if you got to the specific movie page and look up Blu Ray Details, which is not how most folks "Add" to their Queue)
3) Lastly the blu ray intentionally misrepresents that it has a high def audio track when it does not.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit...

That movie was released on BD sometime ago.

Good point. Too much redundancy with some of these threads.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page