Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #721 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 64
On the PS4 there is an option for YCbCr full (limited as well) so would this allow for xv Color?
Still annoyed there's no bit depth option like the Xbox One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

On the PS4 there is an option for YCbCr full (limited as well) so would this allow for xv Color?
Still annoyed there's no bit depth option like the Xbox One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you be annoyed by that? It's completely useless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Xbox One supports deep color PS4 doesn't, would help with the little bit of visible banding. PS3 even supported it.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Xbox One, I bought that as well. wink.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #724 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
any upcoming made in 4k blurays soon?
post #725 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wow, I grabbed a ton of Blu-rays at Wal-Mart on Black Friday, like I always do. Wasn't exactly sure what ones were which, they had $4, $7, and $10. I was ready to take both "This is the End" (awesome movie I was going to buy when it got cheaper) and "After Earth" (Will Smith fan but probably a rent) back once I realized they were the only $10 titles I picked up, and then I flipped them and saw the Mi4K. I have a 1000ES and don't have any yet, and these are cheaper than any of the catalog titles have been that I have seen...I'll be keeping them at this price...

Matt
post #726 of 909 Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mi4K catalogue titles in Oz are going for 2 for $20 & 2 for $30 ATM
post #727 of 909 Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The upcoming Robocop release has been confirmed as a 4K transfer and re-master of the Director's Cut.
post #728 of 909 Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

The upcoming Robocop release has been confirmed as a 4K transfer and re-master of the Director's Cut.
It has been? By who?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #729 of 909 Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

It has been? By who?

The Digital Bits. I asked them to look into it when it was announced and they confirmed it is the Director's Cut this week, on my birthday no less.
post #730 of 909 Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I have been waiting for this since I purchased the original horrid blu ray release, the new 4K version was preordered by myself the moment it was available and I have been at the edge of my seat since!

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #731 of 909 Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
According to bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html Robocop "Mastered" in 4K" will be released January 21, 2014

Home Theater Aficionado
post #732 of 909 Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

It has been? By who?

The Digital Bits. I asked them to look into it when it was announced and they confirmed it is the Director's Cut this week, on my birthday no less.

Let's include the source for the information then. It only seems fair.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/120313_1400
Quote:
First, we’ve confirmed with Fox that the new Robocop Blu-ray Disc due on 1/21 is remastered from a 4K transfer and it’s definitely the director’s cut version of the film. Extras will include audio commentary with director Paul Verhoeven, writer Ed Neumeier and executive producer Jon Davison, deleted scenes, a new Q&A with the Filmmakers, the Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop documentary, 5 legacy featurettes (Shooting Robocop, Making Robocop, Villains of Old Detroit, Special Effects: Then and Now and Robocop: Creating a Legend), The Boardroom: Storyboard with commentary by animator Phil Tippett, an Easter egg, the theatrical trailer and a TV spot.

post #733 of 909 Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 12
Guys, just because MGM re-mastered RoboCop at 4K resolution, obviously does not mean it will be part of the "Mastered in 4K" line up that Sony has brought out, or even that it will be similar. Sure, Fox usually always encodes at high video bitrates anyway nowadays, but these M4K discs are (for the time being) proprietary to Sony. and if we counted every 4K (or higher) scan-derived Blu-ray as being part of this thread, I think we'd have about a hundred (maybe even two or three hundred) titles by now.

On the other hand, I think we can be sure that every forthcoming Sony Blu-ray (for a new release film that exists in 4K resolution or higher) will be part of this line up, only now as general releases. For my money, I'd still love to see Sony give the M4K treatment to more older catalog titles and older catalog BDs, barebones again, if need be.
post #734 of 909 Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The 4K workflow Sony is using does seem to improve older films. It brings out that little extra bit of fidelity and actual detail when presented in 1080P.
David Susilo likes this.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #735 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

The 4K workflow Sony is using does seem to improve older films. It brings out that little extra bit of fidelity and actual detail when presented in 1080P.

So what is the general consensus on these Sony MI4K films? Slightly better? More details? Haven't had the chance to check em out yet. Wanted to get the godzilla 4k one though

I still don't get this mastered in 4k? most of the cgi today is still done in 2k? Just seems like these films are just a remaster job?

-Kevin

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #736 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

So what is the general consensus on these Sony MI4K films? Slightly better? More details? Haven't had the chance to check em out yet. Wanted to get the godzilla 4k one though

I still don't get this mastered in 4k? most of the cgi today is still done in 2k? Just seems like these films are just a remaster job?

-Kevin
It's a case-by-case basis. Some of these 4K BDs show real improvements on large displays (55" and up) over the original BDs. Others have shown less improvement. Improvements can be seen in color rendition, replication of the actual grain structure, and slightly more resolved detail.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #737 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
It's nice that they haven't been too expensive, either. I think I paid less for the Ghostbusters MI4K version than the original BD release. Double-dipping doesn't hurt as much in that regard. If it's a first-time purchase, then for sure get the MI4K version.
post #738 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

-Kevin

It's mostly for pre-2004 films that used practical effects and didn't use digital intermediates. One film that Sony REALLY needs to put through the MI4K ringer is Starship Troopers. That film had a lot of CGI but it also had many practical FX and model work done. Also, many of their films from the 80's and 90's would benefit from MI4K processes as they are mostly using ancient HD masters for Blu-Ray.
David Susilo likes this.
post #739 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

It's mostly for pre-2004 films that used practical effects and didn't use digital intermediates. One film that Sony REALLY needs to put through the MI4K ringer is Starship Troopers. That film had a lot of CGI but it also had many practical FX and model work done. Also, many of their films from the 80's and 90's would benefit from MI4K processes as they are mostly using ancient HD masters for Blu-Ray.

I actually just got the Starship Troopers BD yesterday and thought it looked damn good for a film of its time. The Arachnoid looks awesome! Curious to see if the MI4K process would make it look any better. Thanks for the explanation though!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #740 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What really confuzzles me is why Sony hasn't ported any of their 7.1 channel SDDS audio mixes to Blu-Ray for these or any of their older catalog titles. That would certainly get enthusiasts to pony up for films like the Spider-Man trilogy and Godzilla.
post #741 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 412
SDDS 7.1 is 5 speakers at the front and 2 at the back and the front 5 speakers have to be equidistant from each other. Furthermore, the additinal speakers are NOT front-wide channel but in-between channels (between left and centre, and in between centre and right) . This system is designed specifically for scope movies with all the front speakers located behind the screen.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #742 of 909 Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That explains it. I had no idea SDDS was front-heavy like that from what I dug up a few years ago.
post #743 of 909 Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Interesting, neither did I. I must like it, though, since I have my setup in a similar way. Five in front (R/L/C+presence) and two rear/surround. I do enjoy the "wall o' sound.
post #744 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Announced in Jan at CES & what?!?! like a bakers doz of titles so far!
Is it even going too avg one title a month for 20-14?

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #745 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sony got a lot of flak when the project was announced. People laughed, called it a scam, superbit 2.0 etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon it like every other good idea they've had that the consumer didn't understand or wasn't ready for.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #746 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Sony got a lot of flak when the project was announced. People laughed, called it a scam, superbit 2.0 etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon it like every other good idea they've had that the consumer didn't understand or wasn't ready for.

Like many of its most hyped "innovations," Sony is just doing something that other companies already do as a matter of course, and putting their own flashy branding on it.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #747 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 412
It is still an innovation, Josh. The Mi4K metadata and Triluminous metadata implementation are still innovations. Just because people outside users of BDP-1100/3100/5100 linked to Sony's 55"/65" 4K UHDTV can not reap the benefit doesn't mean there is no benefit.
AVfile likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #748 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Announced in Jan at CES & what?!?! like a bakers doz of titles so far!
Is it even going too avg one title a month for 20-14?

Sony seems to have lost interest in it. Would be a shame because some older Sony BDs could use a new scan like Life of Brian which I can personally vouch does not have rings in the film print.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

It is still an innovation, Josh. The Mi4K metadata and Triluminous metadata implementation are still innovations. Just because people outside users of BDP-1100/3100/5100 linked to Sony's 55"/65" 4K UHDTV can not reap the benefit doesn't mean there is no benefit.

I have not read or seen any proof of the Mi4K metadata marketing BS, probably never will, and no, claiming it is not proof.
post #749 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I am glad the new Mi4K movies by Sony are now the standard releases on new releases, including all special features and such. Elysium and After Earth Looks amazing!
Mattyo1612 likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #750 of 909 Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I am glad the new Mi4K movies by Sony are now the standard releases on new releases, including all special features and such. Elysium and After Earth Looks amazing!

Only counts if the DI was done in 4K.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page