Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #901 of 909 Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Jesus....it's no wonder people don't frequent AVS' Blu-ray software forum any more, the FUD that's just been unleashed in this thread is mind-bogglingly ignorant.
David Susilo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 909 Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Sigh. This is like talking to a brick wall. Except that a brick wall at least serves some useful purpose.
Agree! This is rampant not only on this thread but all over AVS Forum. I visit nowhere as frequent as I used to. 10 years ago it was civil, members learn from each others' experiences as opposed to spreading FUD, being know it all when in reality they never even experienced any given technology/topic. I really miss those days.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #903 of 909 Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
While funny, please refrain from posting acronyms.

Thanks,

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #904 of 909 Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Are you joking, again?

Scanning film to digital introduces all kinds of DPI artifacts, contrast issues, brightness issues, not to mention making x,y and z dimensions "artificial".

Here is a prime example of that.

Get a Polaroid instant camera photo, scan it how ever you like, with what ever you like and compare the scan, to the actual photo. Yes the scan looks like crud and has to be "inhanced" to even compete with the original film photo.

I got one that is easier than that. Find some National Geographic magazines from before 1995 and look at those stunning photos that were literately printed off of the film stock negatives. 8K does not even touch film.

Better yet, find a local cinema in your area that still is using 35MM(yeah rare but possible) and see the same movie in digital. You will be surprised to find digital is not what it is cracked up to be.
I agree with you about film. Film has a certain organic texture that digital cameras will never replicate. The change to digital cameras is massively inferior and a downgrade. Transferring film to bluray loses some of that film quality too. Have a look at these pictures of the 35mm print of Scanners compared to the bluray- More pictures here- http://dirtypictures.phpbb8.de/subku...-t4699-90.html The 35mm print has better colors and a more real textured quality to it.

home theater addict
post #905 of 909 Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
The 35mm print has better colors and a more real textured quality to it.
Uhhh... In the first shot you posted, the print has turned pink and is covered in dirt. That's what you're using to make your argument?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #906 of 909 Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What's hilarious about this photo argument is that by the time we see the photos on AVSForum, they're ALL digital. So, OBVIOUSLY digital imagery is capable of "looking like" film, because we're looking at a grainy pink digital image that was from film. So, don't say that digital can't do what film can do. Because by posting these photos on the web, you've destroyed your own argument.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #907 of 909 Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Uhhh... In the first shot you posted, the print has turned pink and is covered in dirt. That's what you're using to make your argument?
Yeah it's not perfect but you can tell the print is better than the bluray. Just look at the overall image, it looks real. The bluray looks like a video copy. I saw the same difference with the Back To The Future 35mm print.

home theater addict
post #908 of 909 Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Yeah it's not perfect but you can tell the print is better than the bluray. Just look at the overall image, it looks real. The bluray looks like a video copy. I saw the same difference with the Back To The Future 35mm print.
To each their own. Based on the comparisons you posted, the Blu-ray has much better color and way more detail in the actor's hair and skin texture, not to mention clearly-defined grain structure in the background.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #909 of 909 Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Transferring film to bluray loses some of that film quality too. Have a look at these pictures of the 35mm print of Scanners compared to the bluray-
Umm, The "print" which was scanned to a digital file, just like the Blu-ray, so it would show up on your computer monitor.

Quote:
The "print" looks like it was scanned with someone's home HP printer/scanner/fax machine. The Blu-ray looks completely natural in presentation of grain and color.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page