JACK REACHER - reaches into your player and disables it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Dear Lord in heaven, I wanted to smash this Blu-Ray with a hammer. Yes, it's a Red Box rental, but not only were trailers forced, not only was fast forward disabled, but it even prevents you from hitting STOP!

That's right. Your remote and all buttons on your player do not work until you watch four hours of previews.

Actually, I don't know how many hours because I walked away from the TV, went outside and had a 30 minute jog and then took a shower and sat down to watch the movie.

It looked great. Audio seemed retrained. Likely crap audio because it's Redbox.

This is a disgrace. Great film and it looks fantastic, but Paramount can go eat it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Can't handle a few trailers, Matt?

That's the best time to go to the bathroom and make some popcorn.... or nachos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Crazy that you cant even FF?!?! eek.gif Thanks for the heads up as this would have been a very frustrating surprise. Is this a first as far as not even being able to FF? God, I hope this does not become more common!

As far as the audio, was it the 7.1 DTS-MA? I doubt the lacking audio had anything to do with being a rental. Probably just a conservative mix from your perspective. Thanks for the report either way and I will keep expectations in check. Lacking audio is something I find very annoying.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 22
Funny, no trailers at all before the menu if you actually purchase the disc. Funny how that works.
post #5 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
This sort of crap is why I pay the AnyDVD people...
post #6 of 59 Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Dear Lord in heaven, I wanted to smash this Blu-Ray with a hammer. Yes, it's a Red Box rental, but not only were trailers forced, not only was fast forward disabled, but it even prevents you from hitting STOP!

That's right. Your remote and all buttons on your player do not work until you watch four hours of previews.

Actually, I don't know how many hours because I walked away from the TV, went outside and had a 30 minute jog and then took a shower and sat down to watch the movie.

This is a disgrace. Great film and it looks fantastic, but Paramount can go eat it.

Probably the forced rental version - so blame Paramount - probably not Redbox. And, of course, this is because the movie studios think we will all run out and purchase this title after being thoroughly pissed off after renting it.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #7 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Probably the forced rental version - so blame Paramount - probably not Redbox. And, of course, this is because the movie studios think we will all run out and purchase this title after being thoroughly pissed off after renting it.
Erm, I think their more likely hoping you'll go see the movies they just advertised at you.
post #8 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

In a way it's like going to the theater... wink.gif
post #9 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

LOL

That's just low, man...
post #10 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Yes, it is, in a way. But this is my house and my player was completely disabled. I couldn't even hit stop. That is complete nonsense. That is what set me off. The fact that I could not even stop the damn thing from playing.

Great film, by the way.

And I should mention we watched Silver Lining Playbook (or whatever t is called) the same night and it's trailers, about 4,000 of them, were skipable. It was annoying as heck, but my player wasn't locked and I was able to get past them.

post #11 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

That's the best time to go to the bathroom and make some popcorn.... or nachos.

I go to my KITCHEN to make popcorn or nachos.............but to each his own! wink.gif
Neil S. Bulk, Rashman and Bruuce like this.
post #12 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Don't like it? Buy!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #13 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 187
My Redbox rental of Jack Reacher had a few trailers, but I was able to fast forward through them on my Sony S570. Sounds like a player issue.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #14 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I go to my KITCHEN to make popcorn or nachos.............but to each his own! wink.gif

Ahahah! Got me there. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #15 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

My Redbox rental of Jack Reacher had a few trailers, but I was able to fast forward through them on my Sony S570. Sounds like a player issue.

Interesting.

Matt, what player are you using?

post #16 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I routinely watch SportsCenter (or whatever) while I put in a disc, then just wait until it looks like it's 'done' with previews/warnings whatever before switching over to the BD input. By occasionally glancing at the front display, you can usually tell when it gets to the main menu.

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #17 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

I agree. I have 2 Panasonic BD players and never had this issue with any rental including Jack Reacher. I rent about 2 to 3 new BD's every week.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #18 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Don't like it? Buy!

Do you work for Paramount? Some of us resent being "forced" to buy things or see trailers that we can't FF through. (I stop at any trailer that might interest me). A better (and cheaper) option than buying would be to rent via 3D-Blu-Ray. They usually (so far) offer the non-stripped down editions. My copy of JR is pending from them. Yeah, it costs a bit more than Redbox but I'm interested in hearing the commentary. I don't purchase BDs from Paramount or Fox or Universal on titles that they rent as stripped-down.

post #19 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

I rented this from Redbox today and nothing was stripped down in the version I got. NO trailers as the movie menu was the first thing that popped up. Full DTS-MA 7.1 track as well.

Good movie. Solid A/V.
Quote:

Don't like it? Buy!

I would suggest a rent. Good movie IMO, but not great. This is the perfect rental type movie for me as it was fun once, but not something I would ever watch again which is why I'm glad I did not waste my $$$ buying it. Not to mention the A/V while solid is nothing demo worthy. This has rental written all over it from my perspective.

post #20 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Don't like it? Buy!

so says a forum member who drinks the movie studio kool-aid?
I promise that once I have decided to rent a title rather than buying - I DO NOT go out and purchase it afterwards.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #21 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How the hell are people here getting no forced trailers from Red Box on this title? A major WTF is going on here.

I have an original PS3. Not a slim. Yup. Still works.

post #22 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How the hell are people here getting no forced trailers from Red Box on this title? A major WTF is going on here.

Pozzles me as well. A Paramount rental that includes commentary and extras from Redbox? Did something happen while we slept? Cause that would be a pretty big policy change from an anti-consumer studio

post #23 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 187
For what it's worth, I don't allow internet connectivity on my player when playing a Bluray. Now that I think about it, Jack Reacher didn't have any trailers at all, just a Paramount logo bumper.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #24 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, I don't allow internet connectivity on my player when playing a Bluray. Now that I think about it, Jack Reacher didn't have any trailers at all, just a Paramount logo bumper.

Same here. My Oppo 93 is not connected to the net. All I got were the loading icons and then it went straight to the movie menu.

Are there ANY discs that cant be FF and/or skipped through as far as the trailers go? I have not come across one using my Oppo.

post #25 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Do you work for Paramount? Some of us resent being "forced" to buy things or see trailers that we can't FF through. (I stop at any trailer that might interest me). A better (and cheaper) option than buying would be to rent via 3D-Blu-Ray. They usually (so far) offer the non-stripped down editions. My copy of JR is pending from them. Yeah, it costs a bit more than Redbox but I'm interested in hearing the commentary. I don't purchase BDs from Paramount or Fox or Universal on titles that they rent as stripped-down.

What planet are you living on? You are forced to pay taxes but not forced to buy luxury items such as high definition Blu Ray discs. The way to avoid the inconvenience of commercials is to buy the disc or simply put up with it while you pay a low price to rent. You chose to rent a disc from Red Box, you paid $1.50 to watch this $25 Blu Ray and you have the nerve to complain?? This is precisely what's wrong in our 'entitled' society - you can't have it both ways...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #26 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

so says a forum member who drinks the movie studio kool-aid?
I promise that once I have decided to rent a title rather than buying - I DO NOT go out and purchase it afterwards.

No says the forum member you doesn't complain about watching a movie for $1.50. The Kool-Aid drinker is the guy who pays $1.50 for a Blu Ray rental and feels he's being put out.
bruceames likes this.

post #27 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

No says the forum member you doesn't complain about watching a movie for $1.50. The Kool-Aid drinker is the guy who pays $1.50 for a Blu Ray rental and feels he's being put out.

Yeah, renters should take their 2+ minute load times, forced previews and multiple anti-piracy warnings before even getting to the stupid start menu and LLLLLLLIKE IT!

Oh wait, there's plenty of retail Blu-rays that have the same BS.
post #28 of 59 Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Just watched a Netflix disc. It's not a "rental" version, it has bonus features and no trailers. But I also have BD-Live turned off. I wonder if the OP was watching downloaded trailers courtesy of BD-Live. That would explain the inability to FF or skip them.
post #29 of 59 Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Frankly, and maybe I'm in the minority, but I really don't care about forced trailers and anti-piracy warnings - it's part of the game that's all. I also rent and buy movies on iTunes (HD) every once in a while, and there's no trailers, nothing, just the opening logos... so there are options... There are more annoying things in life than a forced trailer - but yes, it *is* annoying, just not that big of a deal to me.
post #30 of 59 Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What planet are you living on? You are forced to pay taxes but not forced to buy luxury items such as high definition Blu Ray discs. The way to avoid the inconvenience of commercials is to buy the disc or simply put up with it while you pay a low price to rent. You chose to rent a disc from Red Box, you paid $1.50 to watch this $25 Blu Ray and you have the nerve to complain?? This is precisely what's wrong in our 'entitled' society - you can't have it both ways...

Oh no...I chose NOT to rent it from Redbox and am paying more to rent it elsewhere. Perhaps you're too young to remember that rental BDs never used to be stripped down. That is a practice that was initiated in just the last year or so...in a blatant attempt to coerce consumers to purchase a movie that they might not want. (And, by the way, places to buy discs are vanishing left and right, so even that's not as easy it used to be, except for on-line.) I don't care about commercials...I can usually skip them or do something else while they run. It is the loss of content that angers me. When most of us were "forced" to get BD players, it wasn't an issue. Now that we have them...the studios (Sony being a laudable exception) have made it one.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page