Oblivion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 135 Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Aug. 6th, 2013.

"Set on a future Earth, civilization lives above the clouds and scavengers collect ancient artifacts from the polluted surface below. An earthbound soldier, who is stuck there repairing drones that patrol and blast a savage alien life form, encounters a beautiful woman who crashed in a craft and they have an experience that forces him to question his world view."



DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1.
Special Features:

Feature Commentary with Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski
Deleted Scenes
Isolated Score
Promise of a New World - The Making of Oblivion:
Destiny: Conceptualization, development and pre-production
Voyage: The design and creation of the Bubble Ship (BD exclusive)
Combat: Action and stunts with Tom Cruise (BD exclusive)
Illusion: Post-production and visual effects
Harmony: The musical world of French electronic/shoegaze band M83



I enjoyed this one quite a lot in theaters, looking forward to the Blu-ray....(isolated score!!! cool.gif)
Morpheo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 135 Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Member
 
JerryElbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought it was an OK film in theaters but the movie builds towards a twist ending (actually, a few twists) and once you know them, I can't imagine watching the film enough additional times to warrant a purchase. I may rent it after enough time has passed where I can forget the twists and enjoy it anew. I'm sure it'll be a good-looking BR though.
JerryElbow is offline  
post #3 of 135 Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post

I thought it was an OK film in theaters but the movie builds towards a twist ending (actually, a few twists) and once you know them, I can't imagine watching the film enough additional times to warrant a purchase. I may rent it after enough time has passed where I can forget the twists and enjoy it anew. I'm sure it'll be a good-looking BR though.

Maybe, but that's the kind of twist that makes me want to watch it again and see how it goes once we know it. smile.gif
Morpheo is offline  
post #4 of 135 Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Member
 
JerryElbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Maybe, but that's the kind of twist that makes me want to watch it again and see how it goes once we know it. smile.gif
Yeah, I'd watch it a second time, much like I watched (and really enjoyed) The Sixth Sense a second time. But after that, I don't see watching it a third time. Thus, it's a rental to me. Well, that and the fact that the wife is beating on me to start reducing our collections rather than increase them as we get closer and closer to retirement and downsizing. I agree with her on everything but downsizing the screen size. I just upped it another 5 inches in the latest TV purchase, in fact!
JerryElbow is offline  
post #5 of 135 Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 3,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Is this the film where Tom meets his next future ex wife?

I'm looking forward to seeing it on BD.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

replayrob is offline  
post #6 of 135 Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Is this the film where Tom meets his next future ex wife?

I'm looking forward to seeing it on BD.

How much money did Tom pay this new ex for the privilege of his Thetan-free existence? smile.gif

The dude that made Tron 2... wow, just wow and people actually paid money to see this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #7 of 135 Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post


The dude that made Tron 2... wow, just wow and people actually paid money to see this.

And guess what I'll pay even more money to buy the Blu-ray. Oblivion is a good film, rent it and see for yourself.
Morpheo is offline  
post #8 of 135 Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't get the negativity on this movie. I loved every minute of it.

At the very least: 1) It's not a sequel, 2) It has an honest-to-God sci-fi premise, 3) The score was pretty cool, 4) The designs were awesome, 5) The cinematography was good, 6) The action was good, and 7) The plot was pretty great. Beyond the individual elements, I thought the whole thing fit together very well.

But yeah, I do agree that it relies so much on the twists and turns that a second viewing isn't something I'm dying for. I'll probably cave and pick up the Blu-ray eventually though.

I personally don't care about the personal lives of actors. Something tells me that the ones that seem the weirdest are probably the most normal (and vice versa).
OzzieP likes this.
Steve Tack is offline  
post #9 of 135 Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

I do agree that it relies so much on the twists and turns that a second viewing isn't something I'm dying for. I'll probably cave and pick up the Blu-ray eventually though.
Somewhere in that sci-fi movie is a story about a love that just refuses to die. Worth viewing again just for that, even knowing what twists are coming. On a technical level, the film is pure eye and ear candy (heard it in Dolby Atmos). Looking forward to enjoying it on my system.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #10 of 135 Old 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

I don't get the negativity on this movie. I loved every minute of it.

At the very least: 1) It's not a sequel, 2) It has an honest-to-God sci-fi premise, 3) The score was pretty cool, 4) The designs were awesome, 5) The cinematography was good, 6) The action was good, and 7) The plot was pretty great. Beyond the individual elements, I thought the whole thing fit together very well.

But yeah, I do agree that it relies so much on the twists and turns that a second viewing isn't something I'm dying for. I'll probably cave and pick up the Blu-ray eventually though.

I personally don't care about the personal lives of actors. Something tells me that the ones that seem the weirdest are probably the most normal (and vice versa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Somewhere in that sci-fi movie is a story about a love that just refuses to die. Worth viewing again just for that, even knowing what twists are coming. On a technical level, the film is pure eye and ear candy (heard it in Dolby Atmos). Looking forward to enjoying it on my system.

+1 guys

Agreed all around. Wish I could have seen this one in Atmos. redface.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #11 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
JayF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched the blu-ray last night and loved it. Very entertaining, and what it lacked in some originality it certainly made up for with fantastic visuals and soundtrack. The blu-ray was simply stunning.
JayF is offline  
post #12 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 263
But, why should we have to keep putting up with a lack of originality?

That's all we have nowadays with big summer tent poles... a total lack of originality or plain ol' good acting, screenwriting, directing, cinematography, and editing, and instead they're just huge assaults on our senses.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #13 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

But, why should we have to keep putting up with a lack of originality?

Oblivion is an original story, not a sequel, not a reboot or a remake. And yes I know what you mean by "lack of originality" (which I disagree with) but I just wanted to point out that in this year full of sequels, an original story is a welcome addition as well. It has jaw-dropping visuals, strong performances and direction (imo). Besides, it's a stellar release from Universal.
Morpheo is offline  
post #14 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Oblivion is an original story, not a sequel, not a reboot or a remake. And yes I know what you mean by "lack of originality" (which I disagree with) but I just wanted to point out that in this year full of sequels, an original story is a welcome addition as well. It has jaw-dropping visuals, strong performances and direction (imo). Besides, it's a stellar release from Universal.

From the guy that did Tron: Legacy? Did he go back to film school in the interim? biggrin.gif I kid, I kid... but you get my point.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #15 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
sojodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I saw Oblivion in the theaters and it is spectacular looking. The cinematography is incredible and is a truly beautiful movie. I will watch this several times.
sojodave is offline  
post #16 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF View Post

Watched the blu-ray last night and loved it. Very entertaining, and what it lacked in some originality it certainly made up for with fantastic visuals and soundtrack. The blu-ray was simply stunning.

Agreed... this blu-ray release is indeed stunning in terms of picture and sound quality. Glad to have it in my collection.

oz
ozar is offline  
post #17 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
subavision212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The film story may be a somewhat original idea (I think it is based on a graphic novel, not totally sure) but it's certainly not original. It's oretty derivative sci-fi which serves up great big undigested lumps of Total Recall, AI, Planet of the Apes – with little snippets of Top Gun. ( if only the had copied a bit from Wall-E!). But I did enjoy it mainly because of what most have been posting.....it looked and sounded amazing in the theater. Will be buying just to show it off in my HT.

subavision212 is offline  
post #18 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
TK Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was looking for this thread last night.

I too watched it and it was incredible.

I told my wife this was the best disc we've watched yet in the new theater.

Definitely demo material.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!
 

TK Doom is offline  
post #19 of 135 Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
JJ7
Senior Member
 
JJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My family was put off by the slow pacing, but I enjoyed the film. It does borrow from earlier films, especially Moon (2009), but I still thought it was worthwhile. It's also a beautiful film as folks have mentioned.

BTW, don't get all the hate on Tron Legacy. That's about the best demo disc I have, and the story grew on mean with subsequent viewings. Both films are certainly very stylish. And TL certainly benefits from the Daft Punk soundtrack.
JJ7 is offline  
post #20 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

if only the had copied a bit from Wall-E!
Isn't Tom Cruise's character kinda a live-action version of Wall-E? Maintenance guy, toiling on an abandoned Earth, for the sake of off-world humans, has a fascination for old things, falls for visitor from space, etc.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #21 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Noticed folks complimenting how good this movie looked. The Director of Photography recently won an Oscar for shooting 'Life of Pi', another visual stunner (albeit with a very different colour palate).

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #22 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
vikgrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, Indiana, USA
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Last night i watched it with fellow AVS members TmcG and RTRose in my theater, the audio and video was incredible, definitely reference demo material!
vikgrao is offline  
post #23 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post

My family was put off by the slow pacing, but I enjoyed the film. It does borrow from earlier films, especially Moon (2009), but I still thought it was worthwhile. It's also a beautiful film as folks have mentioned.

BTW, don't get all the hate on Tron Legacy. That's about the best demo disc I have, and the story grew on mean with subsequent viewings. Both films are certainly very stylish. And TL certainly benefits from the Daft Punk soundtrack.

Tron Legacy was really no better than the original, which was pretty damn clunky in all respects. It's rose-tinted nostalgia, nothing more. The acting, the dialog, the plot were all about as substantial as cardboard. IMHO. The Last Starfighter, a first of its kind CGI special effects movie like Tron, at least had a better sense of fun, a slightly more fleshed out story, and the acting was a little more tolerable. Who could forget Robert Preston reprising his iconic Music Man conman role (Prof. Harold Hill)... as an alien! This was Preston's last performance before his death as well (and he absolutely loved doing the movie-- a pro to the end). The only thing going for Legacy was Olivia Wilde who was wasted in a forgettable role... she's hot, hot, hot! smile.gif

Why couldn't they have done a neat followup sequel to The Last Starfighter, instead?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #24 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Isn't Tom Cruise's character kinda a live-action version of Wall-E? Maintenance guy, toiling on an abandoned Earth, for the sake of off-world humans, has a fascination for old things, falls for visitor from space, etc.

One of the screenwriters works for Disney/PIXAR, so I could see where he got his influence. I can imagine Tom Cruise's character opening his mouth and sounding just like Wall-E. biggrin.gif All he needed was a plucky cockroach sidekick and the image would have been complete!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #25 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

One of the screenwriters works for Disney/PIXAR, so I could see where he got his influence. I can imagine Tom Cruise's character opening his mouth and sounding just like Wall-E. biggrin.gif All he needed was a plucky cockroach sidekick and the image would have been complete!

Well there was Bob...
pcweber111 is offline  
post #26 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Blind bought this yesterday and watched it last night. Really enjoyed it, much more than some of the more recent sci-fi movies (I'm looking at you, Prometheus). Loved the sound design and soundtrack as well, and I never felt there was bass just to have bass. Very even mix.

I understand that the movie isn't for everyone, though some people in this thread just like to thread-crap lately.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
post #27 of 135 Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Good movie. Amazing A/V! Love the isolated score extra and would LOVE to see this as an extra more. Awesome blind buy that will get many repeat viewings.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #28 of 135 Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I enjoyed this very much. The look etc. made it exciting . I agree with the Prometheus comment ; I'm much more likely to repeat watch this one. I would recommend staying away from threads like this before viewing though. Even the more subtle spoilers like how this film was similar or borrowed from other films gave away some of the surprises that would have made it more enjoyable.



Art
chirpie likes this.

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #29 of 135 Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
csnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This movie is my new demo disc. I was grinning throughout the entire movie.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
csnow is offline  
post #30 of 135 Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
sojodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Oblivion sound track mixed in with the action sounds is just incredible. There is a part of the movie where the Jack (Tom Cruise) is being chased by three pods in a canyon. I heard several whooshing from the back two speakers in my 7.2 system. Easily one of the best looking movies I have in my collection.
sojodave is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off