Best 3D bluray for demo/evaluation/reference? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Just got my first 3D capable set and though I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general I was wondering what the collective opinion is of the best 3D bluray? (I remember when 5th Element superbit DVD was "it" for demos...)

I would assume something brand newish. Hobbit perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'll cast another vote for Pacific Rim, that has been one of the most impressive 3D disc that I own. Other honorable mentions from my collection: Prometheus, Wreck-It-Ralph, Lif of Pi and Finding Nemo. I'll even throw in Star Trek Into Darkness; no it's not the best 3D, not even the best converted 3D but, it's the best Star Trek 3D and I'm a sucker for Star Trek. biggrin.gif Honestly, I thought they did a good job with converting STID to 3D, it's got a some nice moments, the whole opening scene is pretty good 3D eye candy IMO.

I'm waiting for the "Gravity" 3D release in March April. That will be my first 3D title. I wanted to get "STID" 3D, but Amazon only offered the 2D version in steelbook.

Now all I need to do is get 3D glasses and configure 3D on my 50GT50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Personally, I don't think any 3D collection is complete without the exquisite HUGO. Leave it to one of our greatest filmmakers to really understand the format potential..
nwmusicman likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Personally, I don't think any 3D collection is complete without the exquisite HUGO. Leave it to one of our greatest filmmakers to really understand the format potential..

Question: what model of TV or projector do you have? Reason I ask is, of about a dozen 3D blu rays I've viewed so far, Hugo, which is a great film, exhibited the most 3D ghosting I've seen so far, which surprised me, given that it was made to be 3D from start to finish. The other thing that I noticed about it, especially in the wide shots of the city and the station that are heavily composited, see the opening camera flight between the trains as an example, the "pop-up book" effect was very noticeable, meaning that the separate visual elements seem very flat and 2D, even though they are separated in depth. Some shots look amazing to me, and others less so. The Hobbit, which is just as, if not more effects driven than Hugo, didn't have these issues for me. If you have a DLP display device, that might explain it.
post #34 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Star Trek Into Darkness used 3D very well.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Life of Pi has some really great moments in it, too.

post #36 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

For me, the 2 most impressive 3D presentations I've seen thus far are
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 3D
Rise Of The Guardians 3D

On the nosey. These are my two demo discs. The wild car chase in M3 and the sleigh ride to the Tooth Fairy castle in ROTG are absolutely stupendous.

If you are a fan of 3D pop-out, I'd also recommend the totally silly but amazing SPY KIDS 3. The pop-outs in that movie are insane.

I just bought my 92nd 3D Blu-ray yesterday. The three-digit number isn't that far away....
post #37 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 03:00 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Question: what model of TV or projector do you have? Reason I ask is, of about a dozen 3D blu rays I've viewed so far, Hugo, which is a great film, exhibited the most 3D ghosting I've seen so far, which surprised me, given that it was made to be 3D from start to finish. The other thing that I noticed about it, especially in the wide shots of the city and the station that are heavily composited, see the opening camera flight between the trains as an example, the "pop-up book" effect was very noticeable, meaning that the separate visual elements seem very flat and 2D, even though they are separated in depth. Some shots look amazing to me, and others less so. The Hobbit, which is just as, if not more effects driven than Hugo, didn't have these issues for me. If you have a DLP display device, that might explain it.

Ghosting is an issue with your display. Hugo shows ZERO ghosting on my single chip dlp, but my JVC shows quite a bit of ghosting with it.
post #38 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Ghosting is an issue with your display. Hugo shows ZERO ghosting on my single chip dlp, but my JVC shows quite a bit of ghosting with it.

No ghosting on my LG LCD either.
post #39 of 42 Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Liked: 11

You can choose Avatar, Madagascar Europe's most wanted, Hugo and Avengers. Those film are great story and funny with a lot of colorful frames for you can test your picture Quality. If you want some Bluray Demo Disc with Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, PCM audio quality, PM me, I will send you the link for downloading. It's have great trailers and sound quality.

post #40 of 42 Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
How to Train Your Dragon is currently the go-to demo for me (for non-gimmicky pop-out content - not sure about what is best for pop-out though Despicable Me 2 has a great bubble scene in the menu..). Anything with flying, especially first person type stuff, and large distances tends to wow. I don't think any live action can match the animated content (I could Avatar and Gravity as animated since most of what you are seeing was made in a computer). Top Gun areal scenes are fun too to show what even an old movie can look
post #41 of 42 Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Here are my 3D blu-rays, and what I think about them:

Prometheus
TRON Legacy
Great sci-fi demo material, very stylish

John Carter
Great action, wonderful 3D, one of my favorite demo discs.

Hugo
Life of Pi
3D sceneries with a lot of depth, and great movies

Star Trek - Into Darkness
Resident Evil: Retribution
Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D
Underworld: Awakening
Transformers - Dark of the Moon
Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
The Green Hornet
Also great action movies in 3D

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 2
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Wreck-It Ralph
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Tinker Bell - Secret of the Wings
Wolkig mit Aussicht auf Fleischbaellchen - Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs
Monsters vs. Aliens
Animated, therefore impecable 3D

Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Great use of 3D to show cave paintings on curved walls

Pina - dance, dance, otherwise we are lost
Impressive use of 3D to convey the dancer's movements on the stage

Upside Down
I liked this a lot, and I did not even knew it was a conversion until I read about it afterwards. Apparently not everybody's cup of tea, judging from the reviews.

Drive Angry
Piranha 3D
Piranha 3DD
These movie are fun, in a braindead kind of way.

Grand Canyon Adventure - Abenteuer auf dem Colorado
Great 3D documentary

Tin Tin
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Not great movies, but decent 3D

Man in the Dark
Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey
Silent Hill Revelation 3D
Creature From the Black Lagoon
A Christmas Carol
Coraline
How to Train Your Dragon
Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole
The Polar Express
Monster House
The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film in 3D
These I still have to check out on my setup (Vizio 58" CinemaWide, passive 3D)
post #42 of 42 Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post
Pure CG content almost always looks good, that's why everyone demos with it. If we're talking about evaluation and reference, where you want to be able to judge how your projector is performing in terms of picture quality as well as 3D, definitely get a couple of the IMAX 3D films. One I like in particular is Ultimate Wave Tahiti. Lots of beautiful 3D HD footage of surf and sky, skin tones, and underwater scenes, jungle scenes, aerial shots, as well as some big CG popout scenes. Really the best overall test of a 3D projector I can think of. I'm also using it to audition different screen materials, because a bright sky with clouds is one of the best subjects to show any kind of color bias from the material.
Agree Completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d , Prometheus Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Open Season Blu Ray 3d Widescreen , Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy , Final Destination 5 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray 3d , The Final Destination Blu Ray 3d , Madagascar 3 Europes Most Wanted 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Rainbow Wig Pack , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page