Best 3D bluray for demo/evaluation/reference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just got my first 3D capable set and though I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general I was wondering what the collective opinion is of the best 3D bluray? (I remember when 5th Element superbit DVD was "it" for demos...)

I would assume something brand newish. Hobbit perhaps?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Avatar, for the longest time, was the movie to demonstrate masterful 3D. Not sure if The Hobbit has taken that torch (I haven't seen it in 3D), but I did recently come across a series of articles at CinemaBlend.com which attempts to judge 3D features using specific criteria. Go to the site, and do a search for 'to 3d or not to 3d'.

It's funny you mention The Fifth Element - my wife and I recently watched that on our new projector, and I was a bit disappointed with the picture quality. I guess the studio didn't feel it was worth putting more money into another format conversion.
post #3 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would still rank Avatar 3D as one of the overall best 3D Blu-rays out there but Life Of Pi, Tron, Hugo, Prometheus and perhaps surprisingly, the old b/w horror film "Creature From The Black Lagoon" rank right up there as well. Hobbit 3D looks outstanding as well.
post #4 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Open Season is really good 3D if you ask me. I do not own Tron yet but plan on getting it. Avatar is good but I think Open Season is better. I recently purchased a few more 3D movies because I just finished my Home Theater but I don't plan on watching them until our seats arrive.

I will comment on the others as soon as my seats come in!

Edit: I almost forgot this one...Final Destination 5 is really good 3D! Some of the best pop out 3D i've seen outside of IMAX 3D movies. Most 3D you see these days is depth not pop out but FD5 does a really good job of pop out. Rent that one!!!
post #5 of 41 Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If you're not a fan of 3D cartoons, I would say go with the following:

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (I would say this is the "it" non-cartoon movie, but the movie itself...)
The Hobbit
Transformers 3
Hugo
Final Destination 3D

Titanic and Captain America are also really good conversions, IMHO.

Tron: Legacy and Prometheus are good 3D movies, but the 3D is more subtle (which many here on this forum seem to like including me).

I can't really help with cartoons as I don't like them so much, but I did buy the Guardians of Ga'hoole and A Christmas Carol and the 3D in them is really, really good.

post #6 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks! Some great ideas here including some I hadn't even heard of smile.gif

Trick for me I think will be to find one that is both 3D and a film I really enjoy.

Keep em coming. If anyone else wants to chime in that'd be great thanks!

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #7 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Avatar and Hugo are pretty great.

Madagascar 3 also looks wonderful.

Kind of graphic and not shot in 3D, the slow motion scenes in Dredd look neat.

post #8 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
For pure 3d on the animated side, Sammys Adventure is still the best from what I have seen.

For live action, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate is at the top.

Avatar gets the "most overrated" 3d award. Depth overall is conservative and pop out is nearly non existent.

There are some other very good 3d presentations of course, but those two are the best feom what I have seen.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 41 Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Really regretting not getting the 3D versions of Bluray movies now.

I already have most of the movies mentioned in this thread on regular ole 2D Bluray lol.

Anymore suggestions? So far I have Life if Pi and Transformers 3D on my to get list.

Cartoons would be fine too, I have two young children
post #10 of 41 Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Creature from the Black Lagoon....Dial M for Murder.
In October, House of Wax w/Vincent Price.

2d to 3d conversions: Titanic and Jurassic Park.
post #11 of 41 Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Kung Fu Panda 2, How to Train Your Dragon and Madagascar 3 are all pretty awesome. Dreamworks 3D tends to be a slight bit better than the Pixar ones.

I will also add in the following (hopefully not repeats)

Tron: Legacy
Tangled
Dredd
Prometheus
Brave
Nightmare Before Xmas (good conversion)

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 41 Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

Really regretting not getting the 3D versions of Bluray movies now.

I already have most of the movies mentioned in this thread on regular ole 2D Bluray lol.

Anymore suggestions? So far I have Life if Pi and Transformers 3D on my to get list.

Cartoons would be fine too, I have two young children

I hear you on that one. It cost a small fortune to replace my 2D's with the 3D releases. I was anti 3D in the beginning until I had it in my home. Fortunately, many animation films have decent resale value.

By the way, check the forums 3D software section. There are many threads with just the info you are looking for.wink.gif

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #13 of 41 Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see a few mentions of Flying Swords of Dragon's Gate. I haven't picked it up yet, love old school Jet Li and Tsui Hark, but heard this one was weak. But if the 3D is that good, I may have to get it.
post #14 of 41 Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Not out yet but soon, Baz Luhrman's version of The Great Gatsby If the disc is as good as the theater presentation it will be impressive. It was shot in 3D and using a combination of pop out and step in perspective. This was Baz's first 3d film and he uses it creatively.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #15 of 41 Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Just got my first 3D capable set and though I'm not a huge fan of 3D in general I was wondering what the collective opinion is of the best 3D bluray?

Hello

I have lots of 3D blu-ray movies in my private collection and would still have to rate Avatar 3D as the best of the bunch. Oh, and The Life of Pi was a good one, too.

oz
post #16 of 41 Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I would have to give the nod to Hugo. It just looks fantastic in 3D. Avatar does look great too. Most of the Dreamworks animation stuff looks really good too.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 41 Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Liked: 90
Thr best 3D I've seen so far is Avatar. But I now own Hugo and Life of Pi. So I've got more watching to do.
I thought Jurassic Park was good; however, the objects all seemed to appear more flat than I think looks real, but with good depth. I know that it was purposely done that way so that objects would not take on a miniaturized look that occurs when things have good roundness. (Dinosaurs need to look BIG.) I do wonder if conversions are as capable of making objects appear rounded as when two properly spaced cameras can do. I know that conversion can give a good sense of depth.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
Since it wasn't mentioned. Despicable Me (part 1) has incredible 3d usage and balances both depth and out of the screen effects wonderfully.
post #19 of 41 Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Greetings,

Great suggestions being tossed about. Here are a few I like (a few have been mentioned already):

- Madagascar Europe's most wanted
- Pacific Rim
- A very Harold and Kumar Christmas
- The Great Gatsby
- Life of Pi
- Oz the great and powerful
- Drive Angry
- Journey to the mysterious island
- Titanic
- Finding Nemo
- Prometheus
- Silent Hill Revelation
- Rise of the guardians

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #20 of 41 Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'd have to add FINAL DESTINATION 5 (just the opening credits alone would warrant inclusion) and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (which only makes me wish they'd release IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.)

post #21 of 41 Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Definitely Titanic and Pacific Rim.

Tangled and Toy Story 3 are also good, but the 3D isn't phenomenal in them by any means. It just fits well is all.
post #22 of 41 Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I'll cast another vote for Pacific Rim, that has been one of the most impressive 3D disc that I own. Other honorable mentions from my collection: Prometheus, Wreck-It-Ralph, Lif of Pi and Finding Nemo. I'll even throw in Star Trek Into Darkness; no it's not the best 3D, not even the best converted 3D but, it's the best Star Trek 3D and I'm a sucker for Star Trek. biggrin.gif Honestly, I thought they did a good job with converting STID to 3D, it's got a some nice moments, the whole opening scene is pretty good 3D eye candy IMO.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #23 of 41 Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'll cast another vote for Pacific Rim, that has been one of the most impressive 3D disc that I own.

+1
I just watched the 3D version a couple of nights ago and it was impressive. BIG and stupid fun. Ate too much popcorn.
Still the best 3D for me is Avatar.
post #24 of 41 Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'll cast another vote for Pacific Rim, that has been one of the most impressive 3D disc that I own. Other honorable mentions from my collection: Prometheus, Wreck-It-Ralph, Lif of Pi and Finding Nemo. I'll even throw in Star Trek Into Darkness; no it's not the best 3D, not even the best converted 3D but, it's the best Star Trek 3D and I'm a sucker for Star Trek. biggrin.gif Honestly, I thought they did a good job with converting STID to 3D, it's got a some nice moments, the whole opening scene is pretty good 3D eye candy IMO.

If all of STID had been as impressive as that opening scene for 3d which was nice and aggressive, it would have really been great! Things tamed down noticeably though after that opening ~10 minutes for 3d in general and became very forgettable.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #25 of 41 Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Pure CG content almost always looks good, that's why everyone demos with it. If we're talking about evaluation and reference, where you want to be able to judge how your projector is performing in terms of picture quality as well as 3D, definitely get a couple of the IMAX 3D films. One I like in particular is Ultimate Wave Tahiti. Lots of beautiful 3D HD footage of surf and sky, skin tones, and underwater scenes, jungle scenes, aerial shots, as well as some big CG popout scenes. Really the best overall test of a 3D projector I can think of. I'm also using it to audition different screen materials, because a bright sky with clouds is one of the best subjects to show any kind of color bias from the material.

post #26 of 41 Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 273
For me, the 2 most impressive 3D presentations I've seen thus far are
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 3D
Rise Of The Guardians 3D

The reason for this is because thus far, those 2 movies have displayed the best attempts at 'erasing the screen plane'. In most 3D movies, the 3D is mainly used for depth. In some movies, popout is added for the gimmicky 'reach out and touch' fun, but in 'erasing the screen plane' the directors attempt to use and meld the depth and popout by having objects and characters moving in and out of the screen plane a lot more.

The effect, as I've described it elsewhere, can be likened to a window. With depth only, it's like watching kids playing with a frisbee outside your window. You see depth, but you are apart from their environment, separated by the window (screen).

With mostly depth, and occasional popout, it's like watching the kids through the window, but once in a while, something crosses from their environment into yours, eg. the frisbee comes through the window.

With 'erasing the screen plane', by continually having objects and characters extending into and out of the screen plane as well as moving in and out of the screen plane, after a while I can forget where I am and actually feel like I'm a part of THEIR environment, as opposed to being separated by the screen plane. The 2 movies above have thus far done the best job at it, and I hope to see many more directors using 3D this way.

As for live action, my votes would be
Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate 3D
Resident Evil:Afterlife 3D
Resident Evil:Retribution 3D

A partial list of just some of the other 3D movies I own (yes, I'm a big 3D fan):

Alice In Wonderland
Life Of Pi
Guardians of Ga'hoole
Tangled
Toy Story series
Shrek series
HTTYD
Pacific Rim
Star Trek:Into Darkness
Puss In Boots
The Adventures Of Tintin
John Carter
GI Joe:Retaliation
Jack The Giant Slayer
Transformers:Dark Of The Moon
Tron:Legacy
Despicable Me
Wreck-It-Ralph
Prometheus
Fright Night
Sanctum
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Bolt

Max
post #27 of 41 Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I watched The Hobbit extended version in 3D recently (using Oppo 103D and pro cal'd Panasonic 65" VT60 plasma) and the 3D was excellent. Not a lot of 'in your face' type of stuff, but just really natural looking with really good detail, layering and depth. Really nice contrast and color too.

post #28 of 41 Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Pacific Rim blew me away in 3D on my projector.
post #29 of 41 Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Get Dial M for Murder and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
post #30 of 41 Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM

I just watched Titanic 3D and I was very impressed with the realism of the 3D. It isn't like Pacific Rim in the great comic book obvious 3Dness. It was more like the way things actually look in real life. (for me)
There weren't any "in your face" moments that I can remember.
The use of 3D in Titanic made me think that there may come a day when 3D will merely be another one of the cinematographer's available tools to allow the audience to believe that what they see is real. To be used in any type of film.
mo949 likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d , Prometheus Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Open Season Blu Ray 3d Widescreen , Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy , Final Destination 5 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray 3d , The Final Destination Blu Ray 3d , Madagascar 3 Europes Most Wanted 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Rainbow Wig Pack , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page