Halloween 35th Anniversary - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 296 Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks! all for sharing your thoughts on this outstanding movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Thanks! all for sharing your thoughts on this outstanding movie.

I didnt say that, I wrote Donald Pleasence is outstanding in it or I meant too. heh.
post #273 of 296 Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Donald was a great character actor.
He starred in a very poignant episode of The Twilight Zone as a college professor.
post #274 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Any of you guys going to buy the limited edition Blu-Ray box set of Halloween films? I read a brief on amazon earliertoday.
post #275 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'll wait until it goes on sale somewhere. HDD deal of the week or something.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #276 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I want it for the legendary producer's cut of Halloween 6, but it's tough spending $100 to re-buy all the other movies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Yeah this one's a tough one for me too -- as is Warner's recent announcement of the EXORCIST COMPLETE ANTHOLOGY Blu-ray box set -- because as much as I'd love to have all the Halloweens in one place (my collection of these is all over the place right now i.e. standard DVD, Blu-ray, etc.) I already have the original on the first Blu-ray Anchor Bay put out (terrible transfer IMO but I didn't get around to rebuying the Anniversary Edition last year) and parts II, III and 4 on standard DVD (as far as I'm concerned the franchise went down the toilet after the fourth film -- Busta Rhymes in a Halloween? Really?)...

Still, I own the THX DVD of the original film, often considered the defacto standard because of the "correct color timing" and the quite effective Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, and I only watch these films on the 31st of each year as a kind of tradition...so I don't know if it makes sense to keep purchasing them...

Now Warner puts out an EXORCIST ANTHOLOGY -- which I guess I knew was inevitable -- after fans go out and buy Warner's digibook release of the original film in both Director's Cuts and Original Theatrical Versions and THEN release yet another "anniversary" version of the film on Blu and DVD after THAT with different packaging and artwork (the infamous steps of the townhouse on this new one instead of Merrin standing in front of the window)...so now what are we supposed to do with the original digibook version if we want the box set? Yes, I understand you can buy them separately, but as a fan of this entire franchise save for the terrible Exorcist II: The Heretic, I already have the first film on DVD (in "The Version You've Never Seen" variant -- now called the Extended Director's Cut) and Blu-ray, plus the highly underrated and utterly effective Exorcist III on DVD plus the prequels, Dominion and Exorcist: The Beginning, both on DVD as well...

This can drive you to drink, I swear...

post #278 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Any of you guys going to buy the limited edition Blu-Ray box set of Halloween films? I read a brief on amazon earliertoday.
Oh yeah have it preordered from deepdiscountdvd I already have sold my single Blu releases.
post #279 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Are the rest of the Halloween films even worth getting? Maybe I will get it at half price or lower then half like when I got the Superman Anthology and Planet of the Apes collection for $30 CAD each.
post #280 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I wish I was in the market for it, as it is gonna look really cool on a shelf:

http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Comp...ords=Halloween

This reminds me of the Friday the 13th condundrum I had, wherein I wanted to buy the Blu-ray box to replace the "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" DVD set when it came out, but I just couldn't justify the expense when I hated the New Line takes on the character (Jason X, Jason Goes to Hell) and already had Freddy vs. Jason on DVD...essentially, I wanted just the Paramount-sanctioned titles in the series, but they never released one like "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" in high def...

Now, with the Halloween announcement, things are similar in that I wouldn't want any of the post-Transcas International/Anchor Bay titles when Dimension Films got their paws on the franchise (pretty much everything since The Return of Michael Myers) and I certainly don't want Rob Zombie's remake or his sequel; I wish they'd put out a box for folks that wanted just, say, Halloween I through III (maybe four) and a more deluxe set for those who want everything...

Wouldn't make much sense though I suppose...

post #281 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Are the rest of the Halloween films even worth getting? Maybe I will get it at half price or lower then half like when I got the Superman Anthology and Planet of the Apes collection for $30 CAD each.

I think the last good sequel was part four, "The Return of Michael Myers" (and that's pushing it)...as soon as his soul "possessed" his niece at the end of four, it went downhill...eventually, we get to a point in the franchise where none other than homeboy himself Busta Rhymes appears in one of them and screams out "Happy Halloween, Motha !!!@&!@*" or "Trick or Treat Mother *!@(W#I@" and THAT'S the moment I knew this franchise went in the toilet...

That said, one through three are DEFINITE keepers and classics; I wish they had a boxed set of just those...sorry I couldn't be of much help with regard to your question, wuther, but that's what's stopping me from investigating this set further...

post #282 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

...and then you gotta wonder...what do we do when or if 4K eventually arrives and a new boxed set in the higher resolution appears? I know this is inevitable as time marches on, with new technologies, but I just don't see any of these new formats being the same revolutionary jump as VHS to DVD; I have read reviews of the Shout/Scream Factory individual releases of titles like Halloween II and III and from what I could ascertain, the video transfers didn't fare much better than a good upconverted DVD. That's a big reason why I stick with my DVD versions of Halloween II and III, as III in particular upconverts really well on my Blu-ray player and TV...

I just bought the quasi-closet-fan-favorite "Prison" on Blu-ray from Shout/Scream Factory and the presentation is awful (I just watched it last night); the video looks like a warbly DVD transfer in many places and the Master Audio soundtrack is ridiculously uneven, going from silent quiet in some places to moderately loud in others, boasting very little channel separation and fidelity...this is precisely why I am skeptical about constantly re-buying and re-buying and re-buying these older titles as they're released...

post #283 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Upon receipt, keep me posted Jay. I wonder if there will be any better mastering job on this set?

post #284 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Intellivolume-

I have always enjoyed The Exorcist III (saw it in the theaters wayyy back).
Additionally, I like Dominion as well. Wether or not it was preconceived from the very beginning, it has been of interest (to me) to learn about the impetus of evil from this story.
post #285 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Wuther-

I love the 'Halloween' series- saw most films in the theater over the years.
As well as Friday the 13th & Nightmare on elm Street- all horror classics, IMO.
post #286 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Upon receipt, keep me posted Jay. I wonder if there will be any better mastering job on this set?

I will, but aside from finally having a Comete Halloween box set and all the extras the biggest deal about this set is the inclusion of H6 the producers cut and the 1st review of that title was published today and sounds awesome

http://whysoblu.com/halloween-6-curse-michael-myers-producers-cut-blu-ray-review/
post #287 of 296 Old 09-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! again Jay.

I look forward to reading your thoughts/impressions on this set. I have not seen the 'Producer's Cut' of part 6- only the original theater release and subsequent DVD.

I see a blu-ray player purchase in my future...
post #288 of 296 Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! again Jay.

I look forward to reading your thoughts/impressions on this set. I have not seen the 'Producer's Cut' of part 6- only the original theater release and subsequent DVD.

I see a blu-ray player purchase in my future...

You don't have a Blu-ray player JA?

post #289 of 296 Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Intellivolume-

I have always enjoyed The Exorcist III (saw it in the theaters wayyy back).
Additionally, I like Dominion as well. Wether or not it was preconceived from the very beginning, it has been of interest (to me) to learn about the impetus of evil from this story.

Fant,

I too saw Exorcist III in theaters in 1990; I actually didn't appreciate it too much back then, but like all would-be rabid fans of this "true" sequel to the first film's story, I eventually became smitten with it on home video variants. I also read the book it was based on, William Peter Blatty's (who wrote the screenplay and directed the film) LEGION, and the film was supposed to actually be called LEGION until Warner Brothers and Morgan Creek executives insisted it stay in line with the other "Exorcist" franchise titles, so the name was changed as a follow-up to John Boorman's awful Exorcist II: The Heretic (on the all-time official worst films ever made list next to stinkers like Grease 2). I always thought Exorcist III was a highly underrated crime thriller/demonic possession yarn, and always agreed that it is the true follow-up to William Friedkin's first film. Further, when Blatty first showed the screening version of his completed LEGION film to Warner Brothers executives, it did not include the exorcism sequence involving Jason Miller at the very end -- Blatty was actually going for a whodunit-type cop story involving Kinderman (Lee J. Cobb in the first film; George C. Scott in Exorcist III -- which made NO sense because Kinderman looks younger with more hair in Exorcist III than Cobb did in the role in 1973's The Exorcist!) following leads of murders in the style of the deceased Gemini Killer. Studio execs couldn't stand the fact that there was no exorcism sequence in an Exorcist film, so they demanded he go back and re-film the ending including something to do with the Father Karras character, supposedly still alive and possessed by Pazuzu, the Iraqi demon which possessed Linda Blair's character in the original film. However, there are so many inconsistencies about this; we're lead to believe that this isn't really Pazuzu but the devil himself based on the back-and-forth conversations Kinderman has with the "Gemini Killer" personality in Exorcist III, and it all gets really hokey after awhile...who Kinderman is actually seeing in that cell, why we see the transformation between the Gemini (Brad Douriff) and an older, weathered Karras (Jason Miller) et al...the theory is, according to diehard fans, that this demon that jumped into Karras at the end of the first film, and which he tried to rid himself of by throwing himself out of Reagan's bedroom window, actually kept his brain cells alive after the jump and "allowed" him to crawl out of his own coffin after the funeral for the priest, eventually making his way to the Georgetown hospital where he was taken into the disturbed ward. The demon -- or devil -- also fused Karras' body and mind with that of the deceased Gemini killer, whom it also "woke up" and then the demon begins possessing random people to continuing killing for him, all the while leaving Karras' body in the isolation cell in the hospital. Finally -- and quite confusingly -- a character known as "Father Mourning" (also tacked on at the end of Exorcist III per Blatty's instructions to continue an exorcism theme) learns about Karras' possession and tracks the demon down to the cell Karras is in, eventually confronting him for the exorcism. Much of this is VERY hokey and simply too ridiculous to follow logically; but again, this was at the demand of the studio who told Blatty to add that sequence at the end or walk. Still, it was cool to see Miller possessed with the glowing green/yellow eyes, seething like Linda Blair did in the first film and barking threats at Father Mourning and eventually Kinderman; I didn't quite buy that this was the same demon inside of Blair's Reagan character, but it was effective.

That brings me to the franchise's prequels -- apparently, Warner Brothers and Morgan Creek commissioned a prequel project to be filmed, exploring the origins of Father Merrin and his first contact with the demon that possesses Blair (named Pazuzu)...but this was utterly unnecessary in my opinion because it was already touched on in Exorcist II, as awful as that film was. In Exorcist II, we see a younger Merrin (played by Max Von Sydow once more, made to look much younger which was effective and believable) in Africa where he first encounters the evil spirit in a boy, and then the film falls apart into Richard Burton's priest character trying to find a witch doctor who knows how to stop Pazuzu...or something. At any rate, we get the backstory there about Merrin's brush with evil and why he acts the way he does when the Pazuzu statue is unearthed in the beginning of the first film. Paul Schraeder was commissioned to make the prequel, called DOMINION (which you know) but the result, in Warner Brothers' eyes, was a complete mess and utter failure; after the film was authorized to be released on DVD years after the second prequel by Renny Harlin was made and I was able to see it, I have to agree with them...the film plods along and has absolutely no life, centering on a quasi-paralyzed kid in Africa where a young Merrin (Stellan Skarsgard) encounters the evil that "surrounds" him...I couldn't stand the film, but I do own it on DVD as to complete the series. After Warner rejected Schraeder's version, Renny Harlin stepped in to make another one, this time called Exorcist: The Beginning, and he took some of what Schraeder already filmed (including using Skarsgard again as Merrin) and added incredibly cheesy CGI gore sequences and an over-the-top exorcism sequence that felt almost completely ripped off from Friedkin's first. Still, in the end, I liked The Beginning much better than Dominion, and watch it quite often. I don't know if I care for Skarsgard as a younger Merrin, as you can totally see and feel where Harlin ripped off so many elements of the character from Von Sydow's original performance (the "will is weak" line about drinking, the sitting in an Egyptian "bar" watching men stamp steel etc.) but it was better in my opinion than the unwatchable Dominion.

post #290 of 296 Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

And then we have the "unearthing" of the Pazuzu relic connection between Exorcist: The Beginning and Friedkin's The Exorcist -- we see an older, somewhat ill Merrin in the opening sequence of the 1973 shocker and classic on an archaeological dig in Iraq, where the infamous icon of the Pazuzu statue is unearthed, leading us to believe Merrin has seen this thing before...and knows what's coming. Apparently, what Renny Harlin attempted to do with The Beginning was to suggest Merrin (Stellan Skarsgard) drops the icon/idol piece during the sandstorm at the end of his prequel, thus its getting "buried" and then, in 1973, getting "found" by Merrin once again those years later on the dig. That also explains the full Pazuzu statue Merrin stares at in that opening sequence of the original film, as he had encountered it when he went under that "underground cave" beneath the church in Exorcist: The Beginning -- so, apparently, the statue was also unearthed in the 1970s, all those years later, and stood alone in Iraq, being somewhat "guarded" by that soldier we see standing there...but this also brings up some confusion, as Harlin's prequel didn't have its setting in Iraq, did it? It's suggested it's "Africa," which is the continent Iraq occupies, but are we to believe that Iraq simply wasn't "founded" as a state/country in Harlin's film's time period and thus later Merrin unearths the demon, its statue and the relic in what is now considered Iraq?

Interesting...

post #291 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Don't laugh IntelliVolume,
I have been picking my moment for buying a BR player- torn between Oppo, Pioneer Elite (i still use the 59-AVi) or Sony ES S5000...
post #292 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

IntelliVolume-

outstanding! over-view on those Exorcist pr-quel(s) films. In the real world, today, no doubt the 'evil' portrayed on screen ties a very stark contrast to both Africa and Iraq(middle east).
Tell me, did you see 'Deliver us from Evil' over the Summer? Killer (no pun) film. Very well done and ties in nicely w/ the "evil" of today.
If you missed this film ( I strongly suggest you see it), it comes out on DVD/BR in October '14.

I feel that film ties into Exorcist III and those pre-quels as well. Thoughts?
post #293 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't laugh IntelliVolume,
I have been picking my moment for buying a BR player- torn between Oppo, Pioneer Elite (i still use the 59-AVi) or Sony ES S5000...

post #294 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
IntelliVolume-

outstanding! over-view on those Exorcist pr-quel(s) films. In the real world, today, no doubt the 'evil' portrayed on screen ties a very stark contrast to both Africa and Iraq(middle east).
Tell me, did you see 'Deliver us from Evil' over the Summer? Killer (no pun) film. Very well done and ties in nicely w/ the "evil" of today.
If you missed this film ( I strongly suggest you see it), it comes out on DVD/BR in October '14.

I feel that film ties into Exorcist III and those pre-quels as well. Thoughts?

I can agree on the "evil" connection with regard to that region and all the terror that comes out of it; as for Deliver Us From Evil, no I didn't see it in theaters but really wanted to...I'm gonna catch it on DVD or BD rental when it comes out. I'm not a big Eric Bana fan, but the film looked very engaging as was supposedly based on true New York City Police detective cases...

You feel Deliver Us From Evil ties into Exorcist III and the prequels? How?

post #295 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

In those films, we see otherwise good natured , innocent, people being possessed by pure evil.
post #296 of 296 Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I see...

I thought you meant literally...

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page