The Exorcist 40th Anniversary Blu-Ray In October! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The Exorcist gets a new Blu-Ray release in October with a bunch of additional supplements about the film and the subject of exorcisms. Given the $50 MSRP, this may be a multi-disc release with the Theatrical and Director's Extended Cut on two discs and a third disc with supplements. No news on whether or not this is a re-mastered set but I don't think it's likely we're getting improved audio or video from a new transfer and digital clean-up since WB is happy to recycle the work done over a decade ago. Here's a list of the Extras....:

New: Beyond Comprehension: William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist - 40 years after his novel was published, The Exorcist author, screenwriter and producer returns to where it all began. First stop is a cabin/guest house in the hills of Encino, California, where Blatty wrote the novel. The author visits the place for the first time in 40 years and shares not only memories of writing the book, but also discusses how it inspired him. We then meet Blatty in two key and iconic locations; Georgetown University where the film was shot, and at the now-famous Exorcist steps. Throughout, Blatty reads from his novel, including an excerpt from a chilling newly published passage.
New: Talk of the Devil - While at Georgetown University, William Peter Blatty heard about a true case of possession from Father Eugene Gallagher. At the time the film came out, the priest talked at length about exorcism, the true story and about Blatty; this footage is now available for the first time in many years. It is as revealing as it is shocking.
Two Commentaries by William Friedkin
Commentary by William Peter Blatty
Introduction by William Friedkin
1998 BBC Documentary "The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist"
Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist Set footage produced and photographed by Owen Roizman, camera and makeup tests, and interviews with director William Friedkin, actress Linda Blair, author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty and Owen Roizman.
The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now -- Featuring a tour of the iconic locations where the film was shot.
Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist - with director William Friedkin and author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty discussing the different versions of the film and featuring outtakes from the film.
Original Ending
Interviews

The Original Cut
Stairway to Heaven
The Final Reckoning

Sketches & Storyboards
Radio Spots
TV Spots
Trailers

There's also a book excerpt from the book William Friedkin wrote which focuses on The Exorcist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Got so excited my head started to spin. Excellent Halloween pick up.eek.gif
post #3 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

No news on whether or not this is a re-mastered set but I don't think it's likely we're getting improved audio or video from a new transfer and digital clean-up since WB is happy to recycle the work done over a decade ago.
'

The BD that came out in 2010 was remastered from the original camera negative: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1077151/the-exorcist-coming-in-2010/100_50#post_18804938

Maybe some hard core fans will get the new release even if they have the digibook from 2010. I'll pass.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ugh. One of the more pointless re-dips on this formats history.
post #5 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

The Exorcist gets a new Blu-Ray release in October...

At the risk of starting an argument are these LexInVa's words or from someone else?
post #6 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

At the risk of starting an argument are these LexInVa's words or from someone else?

Check the third paragraph.

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062013_1245
post #7 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think I will prefer the 40th Anniversary Preservation fanedit, which restores the movie to as close as the original 1973 theatrical version as possible: just a shame the quality won't be as good as a studio original.

Have the studios ever lost money giving the consumer what they want? Wait... that's something they have not tried yet.
post #8 of 78 Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Still confused, that does not match.
post #9 of 78 Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

The most interesting part of this 3rd paragraph to me is "The Right Stuff: 30th Anniversary Edition". wink.gif

As for the Exorcist, I'll stick to my digibook...
post #10 of 78 Old 06-22-2013, 04:21 AM

From what I've seen looking around, people have yet to see any indication that either movie version (content or master) will be any different than what was released in 2010.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11 of 78 Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

From what I've seen looking around, people have yet to see any indication that either movie version (content or master) will be any different than what was released in 2010.

larry

Lots of rumors claiming it though, but zero source provided other then somebody else writing the rumor. Including the 4k master had been made rumor.
post #12 of 78 Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The most interesting part of this 3rd paragraph to me is "The Right Stuff: 30th Anniversary Edition". wink.gif

As for the Exorcist, I'll stick to my digibook...

Yeah, I really look forward to The Right Stuff. I have the old 2 disc dvd release and I've held off watching it a few times in the last half year or so wanting to wait for the BR release to have a fairly fresh experience watching this film again for the first time in a few years.
post #13 of 78 Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Lots of rumors claiming it though, but zero source provided other then somebody else writing the rumor. Including the 4k master had been made rumor.

I think it was a 2K master. I read a piece on the Superman Blu-Ray re-mastering/restoration a while back and the guy responsible for the transfers was claiming that WB was doing a lot of 2K work on older titles like Superman and The Exorcist with 4K being reserved for the much older film-based titles from the 40's to 60's.
post #14 of 78 Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hardly an authoritative source, but a poster here claims to have heard from Friedkin himself (presumably at an appearance in promotion of his memoir) that it's a new 4K master.
post #15 of 78 Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Hardly an authoritative source, but a poster here claims to have heard from Friedkin himself (presumably at an appearance in promotion of his memoir) that it's a new 4K master.

Even if they were able to provide a source for that I will not take anything Friedkin says at face value.
post #16 of 78 Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM

If one were a gambler, how would you bet on this one? smile.gif

larry

post #17 of 78 Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

larry
I'd bet same master, different color timing - most likely something in the teal and orange range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 78 Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:

larry
I'd bet same master, different color timing - most likely something in the teal and orange range.
Not me. That involves too much work. I'd bet same as on the 2010 BD.

larry

post #19 of 78 Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Dont even think orange and teal. You trying to jink us?
post #20 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

Not me. That involves too much work. I'd bet same as on the 2010 BD.

larry

Agreed, we've seen Warner do this with a ton of titles.

post #21 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Agreed, we've seen Warner do this with a ton of titles.

As have the other major distributors.
post #22 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As have the other major distributors.

Warner does it far more often. They are the king of re-releases without new transfers (not that The Exorcist really needs one anyway).

post #23 of 78 Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warner does it far more often. They are the king of re-releases without new transfers (not that The Exorcist really needs one anyway).

Nope, the other major distributors do it just as much per title, WB just has more titles. But I gets ya, it's only dastardly when WB dones it. On a related note thank goodness WB re-released the Paramount titles with a big price cut in my area, I picked up a bunch of Paramounts with the WB logo on the back.
Also has Gladiator with the new cover been seen in the US?
post #24 of 78 Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope, the other major distributors do it just as much per title, WB just has more titles. But I gets ya, it's only dastardly when WB dones it.

LOL Whatever, man. I have nothing against Warner, but you seem very defensive of them for some reason.

It far exceeds any other studio and not just because they have more titles. How many times are we going to see Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Goodfellas, Willy Wonka, and many, many other titles re-re-released in various forms? How many times have they released Wizard of Oz alone?! There is no other studio that does multiple dipping on individual titles to that extent.

post #25 of 78 Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Also has Gladiator with the new cover been seen in the US?

In Montreal I'm seeing both: paramount's original signature series and the new WB release (with a steelbook as well).
post #26 of 78 Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL Whatever, man. I have nothing against Warner, but you seem very defensive of them for some reason.

It far exceeds any other studio and not just because they have more titles. How many times are we going to see Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Goodfellas, Willy Wonka, and many, many other titles re-re-released in various forms? How many times have they released Wizard of Oz alone?! There is no other studio that does multiple dipping on individual titles to that extent.

Golly you gots the blinkers on tight. Yep the other majors distributors are just as guilty per title with different forms but of course it's only nasty when WB does it. Does not matter how much you re-word it still the same bogus claim.
post #27 of 78 Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Golly you gots the blinkers on tight. Yep the other majors distributors are just as guilty per title with different forms but of course it's only nasty when WB does it. Does not matter how much you re-word it still the same bogus claim.

I don't think anyone is saying Warner Bros is the only guilty studio remastering, repackaging or just relabeling titles on Blu-ray to squeeze as much money out of clueless customers as possible, but there's no question Warner Bros is the biggest offender when it comes to multi-dips on their most popular titles. I challenge you to find another studio that has brought out more re-issues/remasters of any particular single title than WB. Otherwise, unbunch your panties and move on.
DavidHir likes this.
post #28 of 78 Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned elsewhere but anyway, according to this review it is the same encode as the previous BD, I win!:

http://www.doblu.com/2013/10/15/the-exorcist-40th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review/

If true (pretty likely) it ranks up there with American Werewolf in London as far as bogus claims of a new transfer.
post #29 of 78 Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
VC-1 2:12:21 34,117,355,520 44,332,951,043 34.37 22.00 DTS-HD Master 5.1-ES 3876Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)

The above BDInfo scan listing is from the extended director's cut out of the new 40th Anniversary edition. It is identical to the 2010 digibook. The new features of the 40th Ann. set are the 40-page hardcover, the UV copy, and the third Blu-ray disc with two exclusive extra features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #30 of 78 Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So there's no difference between the 40th Anniversay transfer and the digibook transfer (we're talking Extended Director's Cut previously known as The Version You've Never Seen AS WELL AS the Original Theatrical)? If not, I too see no reason to double dip on this in the BD format -- however, as a diehard fan of this film as well, I must say I was already pleased with The Version You've Never Seen Before's DVD release with the digitally restored visuals and worked over, uber-aggressive Dolby EX mix. I went ahead and bought the digibook Blu-ray as a diehard fan, but to my eyes, the Blu-ray's 1080p encode didn't look tremendously better than the upscaled DVD...and, as a matter of fact, the same ugly noise-ridden sequences were still there on the BD with the same twitchy, grainy, unsettling blacks and such (for example, when Jason Miller visits his character's mother in her New York apartment and other noisy, unstable areas). I suppose that's all part of "maintaining the integrity" of the original master/material though...

Also -- I didn't detect much of a difference between the digibook's DTS-HD Master Audio track and the aggressively tweaked Dolby EX mix on the Director's Cut snappercase DVD; the sort of lifeless, though respectful to original material audio mix on the Theatrical Version just never moved me.

But I'm reading conflicting feedback regarding Exorcist's 40th Anniversary edition -- some say the video transfer seems to "breathe" a bit better with slightly improved detail, depth, dimension and so forth while others are saying it's pretty much the same transfer as the last release...

For what it's worth, I'm in the camp of those that feel the film can actually do with a little remastering and cleaning-up in the video department; untl we get a new master or improved encode, I don't see the point in buying this yet again in high definition...

What's worse, you know Warner's gotta be getting ready to release a Blu-ray box set that will include all the titles from this franchise, encompassing even the TWO prequels:

Exorcist II: The Heretic
Exorcist III
Exorcist: The Beginning
Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist

I own all these, except for the horrific John Boorman Heretic, on DVD and would actually love to have the grossly underrated Exorcist III on Blu...but if this set gets released (remember when Warner released these a few Halloweens ago in a DVD set?) those who purchased the first film multiple times will have to swallow that "loss" if they want the whole collection...mad.gif

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Exorcist 40th Anniversary Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page