'The Jerk' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm surprised there's not already a topic for this (I searched and couldn't find one).

Steve Martin's 'The Jerk' is finally coming to Blu-ray on July 9. I've owned the HD DVD version since it was released and, hopefully, the Blu-ray version will be an improvement. The HD DVD version isn't horrible, but Universal could have done a better job with the transfer if it wanted to.

Anyway, regarding the movie, perhaps one of the AVS old-timers can help me remember the details about the soundtrack (musical number) change in 'The Jerk' for home video release?

In the theatrical version, the song/music that was playing over the radio when Mavin (Steve Martin) declares "this music speaks to me" is a number titled "Crazy Rhythm." Then, somewhere along the home video release timeline, a different musical number was substituted for "Crazy Rhythm." Or maybe it was just a different version (different orchestra) performing its version of Crazy Rhythm? As best I can remember, the original music was used for both the VHS and Laserdisc release. I'm reasonably certain the change took place with the first DVD release. As I recall, the back of the DVD contained a notice that some music had been changed (I forget the exact wording).

I'm pretty sure this was all discussed online (Compuserve?) at the time of the DVD release. But lots of Googling has not been able to come up with the answer or any reference to the discussion.

Does anyone here still have the VERY FIRST DVD release? I'd be interested in being reminded of the exact wording regarding the music change.

Or, maybe I'm remembering it wrong and ALL home video versions used the alternate music? (But I don't think so!)

I still own the original DiscoVision Laserdisc release of 'The Jerk.' Unfortunately, my Laserdisc player stopped working years ago and I've never bothered to get it fixed. Maybe I should spend the money just to satisfy my curiosity?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 475
More than likely Universal will somehow make it look worse than the HD-DVD. They've pulled this crap before.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

What has happened to AVS Forum?! It's been 10 days since I started this thread and just one reply (thank you, Dan!). I remember the day when this topic would have been 5 pages by now.

Sad!

Mark
post #4 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

More than likely Universal will somehow make it look worse than the HD-DVD. They've pulled this crap before.

Just like they did with The Thing. Wouldn't surprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

What has happened to AVS Forum?! It's been 10 days since I started this thread and just one reply (thank you, Dan!). I remember the day when this topic would have been 5 pages by now.

Sad!

Mark

That's pretty much the norm these days around here (unfortunately).
I know I haven't been here as much as I used to.

I am looking forward to this release. I will wait for reviews before I buy though.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Seen on the shelf (6 days before street date) at the Costco in La Mesa, CA:

Somebody please buy and compare to the HD DVD for picture and sound! smile.gif

Mark
post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Sad!

You exaggerate, while I like the film as well as Lonely Guy, All of Me & Bowfinger (all supposedly Universal) the Jerk is not a blockbuster film and would not get 5 pages back when the site was busy. Now if the pq is worse or unlikely as it is, better then I guess maybe 3 pages tops.

Could be worse, Earthquake (Universal) was released last month and as far as I can tell no one has posted anything about it.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Could be worse, Earthquake (Universal) was released last month and as far as I can tell no one has posted anything about it.

It's not just this topic or this specific section of the forum. Participation is noticeably decreased across the entire forum.

I wonder if the drop in participation coincides with the change in forum hosting service?

Mark
post #8 of 17 Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not just this topic or this specific section of the forum. Participation is noticeably decreased across the entire forum.

I wonder if the drop in participation coincides with the change in forum hosting service?

Well it's up to you to save the forum, post more. As for anybody hoping Universal change it's ways Earthquake quashes that, what little I have seen of caps show nasty sharping and laced with solid halos especially black ones, maybe not as strong as Psycho but still way too much.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

Sad!

Mark
There are films that you get to enjoy and don't talk about some times, because no matter what people will say you just don't care. Films that generate love and hate are more apt to get people posting frown.gif
Now since this is The Jerk thread... The Jerk is funny, love that scene when the cans are shot at the gas station and Martin doesn't realize that he is one being shot at. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Mark

As someone who used to post very often in this forum for years and now rarely does, I can tell you the reason why few participate: the negative tone. So many people did nothing but over-analyze criticizing every release (no matter how good), bickering with others about the quality of the disc, zooming to 400% on parts of a screenshot screaming if the film grain didn't look the way they thought it should, etc. it became a big turn off for most people. Part of this I believe is because some were still mad Blu-ray won the format war while others could just never be happy even with the most perfect 4K sourced mastered. The forum became largely irrelevant and there are other Blu-ray software sites with a far more positive energy and more engaging conversation.

post #11 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

As someone who used to post very often in this forum for years and now rarely does, I can tell you the reason why few participate: the negative tone. So many people did nothing but over-analyze criticizing every release (no matter how good), bickering with others about the quality of the disc, zooming to 400% on parts of a screenshot screaming if the film grain didn't look the way they thought it should, etc. it became a big turn off for most people. Part of this I believe is because some were still mad Blu-ray won the format war while others could just never be happy even with the most perfect 4K sourced mastered. The forum became largely irrelevant and there are other Blu-ray software sites with a far more positive energy and more engaging conversation.
It wasn't that people found and criticized errors. It was that a certain group of people responded to that by literally calling them liars and then engaging in completely disingenous rhetoric which lead to nothing but bitter arguments.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

It wasn't that people found and criticized errors. It was that a certain group of people responded to that by literally calling them liars and then engaging in completely disingenous rhetoric which lead to nothing but bitter arguments.

There most certainly was a group of people who criticized and literally obsessed about errors on virtually every release. Lots and lots of negative energy. Very unhappy people in general it seemed. If you gave some of them a brand new 35mm print they would still find something they didn't like about it.

Anyway, I am not going debate it as I have spoken to other people who felt the same, hence, it is what it is. I find other sites much better than this one for the BD software, but the display forums are excellent on AVS. smile.gif

post #13 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, back to 'The Jerk'. smile.gif

Based on screen caps posted on another forum, it appears Universal used the same transfer for the Blu that was used for the HD DVD. mad.gif

Nothing new to see here, this isn't the improved transfer you were looking for. Move along... move along.

Mark
post #14 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, back to 'The Jerk'. smile.gif

Based on screen caps posted on another forum, it appears Universal used the same transfer for the Blu that was used for the HD DVD. mad.gif

Nothing new to see here, this isn't the improved transfer you were looking for. Move along... move along.

I do not know how reliable that source is but yeah those images have the same Universal coarse look as American WereWolf in London/American Graffiti/Uncle Buck/Earthquake, still I would not put past Universal 'fixing' it more then the HD-DVD version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

It wasn't that people found and criticized errors. It was that a certain group of people responded to that by literally calling them liars and then engaging in completely disingenuous rhetoric which lead to nothing but bitter arguments.

I am pretty sure most left because of the bandwidth heavy forum change, but yeah some rebutted with insults back up with potty words. If they find solace in sites that tell them everything is great I hope they find happiness in their bliss. Still their ever changing excuses were good for a laugh, pancake makeup still cracks me up.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It would have been good for a laugh if I wasn't under the impression at the time that they had successfully drawn in too many otherwise good posters into arguing with them all the time.

There wasn't discourse anymore. Just bitter sniping.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah look like it's confirmed the BD has the Universal 'look' in spades whither you like that look or not it's definitely has it. Gotta laugh at the '1970s Best of the Decade' too bad the studio could not give the treatment the best deserves.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Jerk-Blu-ray/39604/#Review
post #17 of 17 Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

IAs I recall, the back of the DVD contained a notice that some music had been changed (I forget the exact wording).

I still own the original DiscoVision Laserdisc release of 'The Jerk.' Unfortunately, my Laserdisc player stopped working years ago and I've never bothered to get it fixed.
My Laser Disc of Sixteen Candles has that note about music being changed, and maybe one or more others, too.

I have the HD DVD version of The Jerk (never opened yet) as well as one or more Discovision copies of the movie. If you told me where/when that scene is, I could probably compare the two versions.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Jerk 1970s Best Of The Decade Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet Widescreen
Gear in this thread - 1970s by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page