Blu Ray Freezing - Is it the player or the disc? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffR1

post #1 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have an LG HB905PA Blu Ray player. While watching Pulp Fiction a few months ago, the movie began to freeze during a certain scene. We fast forwarded through the scene and the rest of the movie was fine. While watching No Country For Old Men last night, the movie froze at a certain scene. We tried fast forwarding multiple times but it eventually froze completely and we could not get past that scene. I think this might have happened on another movie too.

My question is whether this is the fault of the disc or the blu ray player. I don't want to start blu ray movies and not be able to finish them. So, should we get a new blu ray player? It there a way to make the movies not freeze?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 234
If multiple Blu-rays were randomly freezing up, I would pin the problem on the BD player itself. It might be going bad if it can't make it through an entire film without freezing up.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #3 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.

I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.

Ian

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?
post #6 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I had a problem with a disk I had watched before freezing. ran my lens cleaning disk and problem fixed. also try clearing the player memory.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #7 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?

You can try cleaning the disc as mentioned above, but in my case, most of the discs were defective.

Ian

post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to assume it's not the player that is the problem (after all, it is able to play MOST of the discs we play). It just seems strange that three brand new discs would freeze.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)

ADU
post #10 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)

I think it's more likely to be a faulty BD since the problem only happens with a few discs. Since BD's are mass produced, it's not that unusual to have an issue even with a new one.
Here's looking at you. wink.gif

Ian

post #11 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354

You could be right.

Just seems a bit odd that there were problems with several newer discs in such close proximity. Maybe I'm readin too much into the OP's comments, but they sort of suggest something "systemic" to me, such as a hot, humid, or dusty (or combination thereof) viewing environment, or a worn out player that hasn't been updated in awhile or is badly configured. Or maybe there was a power surge from a nearby lightning strike that partially fried it... Hard to say really.

It's also possible the discs were all "compromised" in some similar way. Maybe they were left in a hot car too long and warped, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Here's looking at you. wink.gif

Thanks shweetheart. smile.gif

ADU
post #12 of 22 Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My cherished, fingerprint-free copy of KICK ASS, which has screened over a dozen times trouble-free, has frozen momentarily during the same scene on the last two screenings. I checked it with a magnifying glass, found nothing out of sorts, cleaned it for the first time with cleaner and cloth (previously only used canned air,) and ran another test. It froze again, this time for longer.

Definitely getting a replacement disc, but curious as to whether this is a common event with discs screened many times - even when handled in clean-room-like conditions and with no surface evidence of contamination or scratching. I'd always thought that, with nothing but light touching the surface, they could be run without worry of wearing. Haven't had the experience on other discs, but I'm thinking none have been run as many times.

Anyone experienced in such matters care to weigh in?

Thank You!

Chris ~
post #13 of 22 Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1260 View Post
My cherished, fingerprint-free copy of KICK ASS, which has screened over a dozen times trouble-free, has frozen momentarily during the same scene on the last two screenings. I checked it with a magnifying glass, found nothing out of sorts, cleaned it for the first time with cleaner and cloth (previously only used canned air,) and ran another test. It froze again, this time for longer.

Definitely getting a replacement disc, but curious as to whether this is a common event with discs screened many times - even when handled in clean-room-like conditions and with no surface evidence of contamination or scratching. I'd always thought that, with nothing but light touching the surface, they could be run without worry of wearing. Haven't had the experience on other discs, but I'm thinking none have been run as many times.

Anyone experienced in such matters care to weigh in?

Thank You!

Chris ~
I'll put my money on a dirty lens.
And you're not going to see any defects with a magnifying glass _ if there are any _ we're talking microscopic levels.

Discs can and are defective from the get go, however Blu-ray players have the ability to read over the defective pits in the disc and fill in the gaps with zero's and one's with out you even knowing it.

The laser in a Blu-ray player can become dirty and lose the ability to read over defective parts of the disc.
And we're not talking about dirt you can see with your naked eye here.

At any rate the laser doesn't last forever and even after cleaning it will fail eventually.

Also know that discs can have an oily film on them when new, I've had some that would not read at all.
I've had to gently wash them with Dawn and dry them of with a micro fibre cloth.
Chris1260 likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-21-2016 at 11:56 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I'll put my money on a dirty lens.
And you're not going to see any defects with a magnifying glass _ if there are any _ we're talking microscopic levels.

Discs can and are defective from the get go, however Blu-ray players have the ability to read over the defective pits in the disc and fill in the gaps with zero's and one's with out you even knowing it.

The laser in a Blu-ray player can become dirty and lose the ability to read over defective parts of the disc.
And we're not talking about dirt you can see with your naked eye here.

At any rate the laser doesn't last forever and even after cleaning it will fail eventually.

Also know that discs can have an oily film on them when new, I've had some that would not read at all.
I've had to gently wash them with Dawn and dry them of with a micro fibre cloth.
Thanks Jeff! ~ Sounds like the most reasonable explanation.

Cheers!

Chris ~
post #15 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Another possibility would be the optical drive... I have an Oppo BD player and was having issues with playback as well... I cleaned the laser and it was still acting up. What fixed the problem was cleaning the clamp on the optical drive. When the tray closes, the upper "arm" of the player clamps down on the disc. The arm has a rubber ring to prevent the disc from slipping. But the rubber ring had rubber residue from multiple uses. I was able to clean the rubber ring with a Q-Tip (do not use any alcohol-based cleaner as it hardens the rubber material). The Q-Tip had a lot of black residue.

After cleaning the ring, the player worked fine.

Note that this will require dis-assembly of the player and possibly the optical drive as well (usually just the removal of any shielding or casing of the drive).

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #16 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
This is news to me. What BD titles will not read after a while?
post #17 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
This is news to me. What BD titles will not read after a while?
I don't understand your question.
The laser doesn't degrade the disc, although I have seen faulty machines that have destroyed discs.
If a title won't read, it's the machine wearing out and/or the laser needs cleaning.

As I said though, I've come across new discs that I've opened for the first time that need to be washed or cleaned off.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't understand your question.
The laser doesn't degrade the disc, although I have seen faulty machines that have destroyed discs.
If a title won't read, it's the machine wearing out and/or the laser needs cleaning.

As I said though, I've come across new discs that I've opened for the first time that need to be washed or cleaned off.
You keep mentioning you had discs 'that would not read at all' and 'that need to be washed or cleaned'.

Just what discs are these?
post #19 of 22 Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You keep mentioning you had discs 'that would not read at all' and 'that need to be washed or cleaned'.

Just what discs are these?
Sorry, I can't remember.
There were a few others over at SlySoft too with that occasional problem.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I can't remember.
There were a few others over at SlySoft too with that occasional problem.
Can you remember what format? Blu-rays or Laser Discs?
post #21 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you remember what format? Blu-rays or Laser Discs?
They were Blu-rays.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-01-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Best Buy had a sale on the series "Atlas Shrugged" (BD), disk 1 was okay, but #2 & #3 both had problems, either wouldn't load or at some point would just freeze up.
Luckily BB let me keep returning the disks until I got ones that would work. I think they must have had more complaints that just me.
Physically you could not see anything wrong , no scratches or residue on disks. Only ones I have had that kind of trouble with

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software