Blu Ray Freezing - Is it the player or the disc? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffR1
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FredPhil96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have an LG HB905PA Blu Ray player. While watching Pulp Fiction a few months ago, the movie began to freeze during a certain scene. We fast forwarded through the scene and the rest of the movie was fine. While watching No Country For Old Men last night, the movie froze at a certain scene. We tried fast forwarding multiple times but it eventually froze completely and we could not get past that scene. I think this might have happened on another movie too.

My question is whether this is the fault of the disc or the blu ray player. I don't want to start blu ray movies and not be able to finish them. So, should we get a new blu ray player? It there a way to make the movies not freeze?

Thanks for your help.
FredPhil96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 234
If multiple Blu-rays were randomly freezing up, I would pin the problem on the BD player itself. It might be going bad if it can't make it through an entire film without freezing up.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FredPhil96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.
FredPhil96 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,855
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. The funny thing is is that it has only frozen up on the examples that I have mentioned (which were brand new discs) while another 25 titles that we have played worked fine. We might get a new BD player so I'm just trying to make sure this problem is only occurring because of a bad BD player.


I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FredPhil96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I've had the same problem occur with a new disc, but only a handful of times over the last 3 years on my Panasonic player, and it was always the disc.



Ian

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?
FredPhil96 is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
gstspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jackson michigan
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a problem with a disk I had watched before freezing. ran my lens cleaning disk and problem fixed. also try clearing the player memory.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

gstspyder is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,855
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPhil96 View Post

Ok. Is there any way I can fix this problem?


You can try cleaning the disc as mentioned above, but in my case, most of the discs were defective.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
FredPhil96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to assume it's not the player that is the problem (after all, it is able to play MOST of the discs we play). It just seems strange that three brand new discs would freeze.
FredPhil96 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 7,886
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

 

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

 

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)


ADU
ADU is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,855
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I would check the thread for your player in the Blu-ray Player forum (if there is one) to see if other folks are having similar issues. Some problems like this can be fixed by changing a few of the player's settings and turning features off that you don't need, or by doing a reset, or by installing a firmware update.

It's also been pretty hot and humid in some areas lately, which could potentially be a factor in your player's performance, if it's not well ventilated.

How old is the player btw? (Can't seem to find the model on Amazon.)

I think it's more likely to be a faulty BD since the problem only happens with a few discs. Since BD's are mass produced, it's not that unusual to have an issue even with a new one.
Here's looking at you. wink.gif


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 7,886
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 354

You could be right.

 

Just seems a bit odd that there were problems with several newer discs in such close proximity. Maybe I'm readin too much into the OP's comments, but they sort of suggest something "systemic" to me, such as a hot, humid, or dusty (or combination thereof) viewing environment, or a worn out player that hasn't been updated in awhile or is badly configured. Or maybe there was a power surge from a nearby lightning strike that partially fried it... Hard to say really.

 

It's also possible the discs were all "compromised" in some similar way. Maybe they were left in a hot car too long and warped, for instance.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Here's looking at you. wink.gif

 

Thanks shweetheart. smile.gif


ADU
ADU is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Newbie
 
Chris1260's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My cherished, fingerprint-free copy of KICK ASS, which has screened over a dozen times trouble-free, has frozen momentarily during the same scene on the last two screenings. I checked it with a magnifying glass, found nothing out of sorts, cleaned it for the first time with cleaner and cloth (previously only used canned air,) and ran another test. It froze again, this time for longer.

Definitely getting a replacement disc, but curious as to whether this is a common event with discs screened many times - even when handled in clean-room-like conditions and with no surface evidence of contamination or scratching. I'd always thought that, with nothing but light touching the surface, they could be run without worry of wearing. Haven't had the experience on other discs, but I'm thinking none have been run as many times.

Anyone experienced in such matters care to weigh in?

Thank You!

Chris ~
Chris1260 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1260 View Post
My cherished, fingerprint-free copy of KICK ASS, which has screened over a dozen times trouble-free, has frozen momentarily during the same scene on the last two screenings. I checked it with a magnifying glass, found nothing out of sorts, cleaned it for the first time with cleaner and cloth (previously only used canned air,) and ran another test. It froze again, this time for longer.

Definitely getting a replacement disc, but curious as to whether this is a common event with discs screened many times - even when handled in clean-room-like conditions and with no surface evidence of contamination or scratching. I'd always thought that, with nothing but light touching the surface, they could be run without worry of wearing. Haven't had the experience on other discs, but I'm thinking none have been run as many times.

Anyone experienced in such matters care to weigh in?

Thank You!

Chris ~
I'll put my money on a dirty lens.
And you're not going to see any defects with a magnifying glass _ if there are any _ we're talking microscopic levels.

Discs can and are defective from the get go, however Blu-ray players have the ability to read over the defective pits in the disc and fill in the gaps with zero's and one's with out you even knowing it.

The laser in a Blu-ray player can become dirty and lose the ability to read over defective parts of the disc.
And we're not talking about dirt you can see with your naked eye here.

At any rate the laser doesn't last forever and even after cleaning it will fail eventually.

Also know that discs can have an oily film on them when new, I've had some that would not read at all.
I've had to gently wash them with Dawn and dry them of with a micro fibre cloth.
Chris1260 likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-21-2016 at 11:56 PM.
JeffR1 is online now  
post #14 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Newbie
 
Chris1260's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I'll put my money on a dirty lens.
And you're not going to see any defects with a magnifying glass _ if there are any _ we're talking microscopic levels.

Discs can and are defective from the get go, however Blu-ray players have the ability to read over the defective pits in the disc and fill in the gaps with zero's and one's with out you even knowing it.

The laser in a Blu-ray player can become dirty and lose the ability to read over defective parts of the disc.
And we're not talking about dirt you can see with your naked eye here.

At any rate the laser doesn't last forever and even after cleaning it will fail eventually.

Also know that discs can have an oily film on them when new, I've had some that would not read at all.
I've had to gently wash them with Dawn and dry them of with a micro fibre cloth.
Thanks Jeff! ~ Sounds like the most reasonable explanation.

Cheers!

Chris ~
Chris1260 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 3,788
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Another possibility would be the optical drive... I have an Oppo BD player and was having issues with playback as well... I cleaned the laser and it was still acting up. What fixed the problem was cleaning the clamp on the optical drive. When the tray closes, the upper "arm" of the player clamps down on the disc. The arm has a rubber ring to prevent the disc from slipping. But the rubber ring had rubber residue from multiple uses. I was able to clean the rubber ring with a Q-Tip (do not use any alcohol-based cleaner as it hardens the rubber material). The Q-Tip had a lot of black residue.

After cleaning the ring, the player worked fine.

Note that this will require dis-assembly of the player and possibly the optical drive as well (usually just the removal of any shielding or casing of the drive).

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Also know that discs can have an oily film on them when new, I've had some that would not read at all.
I've had to gently wash them with Dawn and dry them of with a micro fibre cloth.
This is news to me. What BD titles will not read after a while?
wuther is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
This is news to me. What BD titles will not read after a while?
I don't understand your question.
The laser doesn't degrade the disc, although I have seen faulty machines that have destroyed discs.
If a title won't read, it's the machine wearing out and/or the laser needs cleaning.

As I said though, I've come across new discs that I've opened for the first time that need to be washed or cleaned off.
JeffR1 is online now  
post #18 of 22 Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I don't understand your question.
The laser doesn't degrade the disc, although I have seen faulty machines that have destroyed discs.
If a title won't read, it's the machine wearing out and/or the laser needs cleaning.

As I said though, I've come across new discs that I've opened for the first time that need to be washed or cleaned off.
You keep mentioning you had discs 'that would not read at all' and 'that need to be washed or cleaned'.

Just what discs are these?
wuther is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
You keep mentioning you had discs 'that would not read at all' and 'that need to be washed or cleaned'.

Just what discs are these?
Sorry, I can't remember.
There were a few others over at SlySoft too with that occasional problem.
JeffR1 is online now  
post #20 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Sorry, I can't remember.
There were a few others over at SlySoft too with that occasional problem.
Can you remember what format? Blu-rays or Laser Discs?
wuther is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Can you remember what format? Blu-rays or Laser Discs?
They were Blu-rays.
JeffR1 is online now  
post #22 of 22 Old 03-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Tiki Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rodney Ontario Canada
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Best Buy had a sale on the series "Atlas Shrugged" (BD), disk 1 was okay, but #2 & #3 both had problems, either wouldn't load or at some point would just freeze up.
Luckily BB let me keep returning the disks until I got ones that would work. I think they must have had more complaints that just me.
Physically you could not see anything wrong , no scratches or residue on disks. Only ones I have had that kind of trouble with

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
Tiki Steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off