WB Christmas Anniversary Editions (Elf/Christmas Story/Scrooged) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Phantom Stranger
  • 1 Post By Dan Hitchman

Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All Steelbooks

Elf - 10th Anniversary edition
Christmas Story - 30th Anniversary Edition
Scrooged - 25th Anniversary Edition

No news on details. All we know is that ALL will be steelbooks and combos (BD/DVD/UV).

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 267
These are 3 easy instant buys. The Elf cover looks a bit odd though.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3274 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
How about Christmas Vacation with a brand new 4k transfer from restored elements? It's easily as good as the original... and some parts are even funnier! The current Blu-ray is atrocious.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

How about Christmas Vacation with a brand new 4k transfer from restored elements? It's easily as good as the original... and some parts are even funnier! The current Blu-ray is atrocious.

Oh in what way? So far the only complaints I have read have been about the principal footage in CV. I have all three vacation BDs and CV is the best looking, sure it's grainy as it should be unlike Vaction which has been scrubbed of all grain and European which has thick dnr. I would rather have a transfer warts and all then a 'fixed for modern viewers' transfer.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Scrooged.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Did anyone end up picking any of these up? Anything new other than the SB's?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Any word if Elf is a new transfer? Would be nice to have a version that isn't all DNR'd. I thought the BD looked fine on a smaller TV, but it looks pretty poor on a larger screen.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Any word if Elf is a new transfer? Would be nice to have a version that isn't all DNR'd. I thought the BD looked fine on a smaller TV, but it looks pretty poor on a larger screen.

This is Warner Brothers we're talking about, so forget the idea of a remastered version. If UHD discs ever come out, I'd bet they'll be the first to use 1080p up-converts passed off as 2160p (along with Universal). They did it with their first Blu-ray titles using old, filtered 1080i (with about 540p effective resolution) masters and stating they were 1080p.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I saw the steelbook for A Christmas Story this weekend at Walmart. I would have been very tempted with new film transfers but Warner has so rarely remastered anything once a movie has been released on BD.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Christmas Vacation remaster screenshots are up at blu-ray.com and while there are no direct comparisons yet from what little I have seen the new release may have more film grain (yeah), more detail and less ringing.

Now if WB could redo Vacation and European Vacation with film grain in them, I got Vega Vacation and that looks pretty good.

Last edited by wuther; 11-10-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Last week I picked up two holiday classics, both "25th Anny new/remastered" titles, Christmas Vacation Steel Book and Home Alone (just the first of course). I haven't had time to fully watch either one but rather pop them in and skip around to check PQ...and honestly, I was quite happy with them! They looked great all things considered, certainly worth the $14.95 each anyway. Neither title had glaring issues, if any. Both had plenty of fine grain, no blown out contrast, no DNR or halo's, have better clarity than previous releases/editions, etc. Probably about as good as these two flicks can look. They're both safe purchases and definite improvements over the previous BD's.

EDIT: why did they use Richard Simmons for the Elf steel book cover?!

My Setup | Night

Latest Discs Bought: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, John Wick, Interstellar, It Follows, Slap Shot, Avengers 2, Jurassic World, Vacation 25th, Home Alone 25th, Ant-Man, MI: Rogue Nation, Mad Max Fury Road (4k), The Martian (4k), The Revenant (4k), Deadpool (4k), Capt America Civil War, Creed (4k), Star Trek (4k), Big Bang Season 9

Last edited by Schils; 11-12-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are direct comparisons of Christmas Vacation:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=912

Not much of a detail increase except maybe in the dark areas, still looks like an improvement to me. Odd that WB used a IP instead of a ON.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe Home Alone received a new 4K remastering job. Many of Warner's technical decisions are inexplicable, I stopped trying to think along with them years ago.
nathanddrews likes this.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Sorry for the necropost but I can't find anywhere if A Christmas Story is a new remaster over the previously released versions.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
Sorry for the necropost but I can't find anywhere if A Christmas Story is a new remaster over the previously released versions.
The steelbook had the same old video transfer and encoding, but a new DTS lossless encoding of the audio, rather than a low bitrate lossy Dolby Digital track like the previous version.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Chri...Blu-ray/57333/
Lethean likes this.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

WB loathes remastering previously issued movies on the same format. They rarely do it, even for popular movies.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
WB loathes remastering previously issued movies on the same format. They rarely do it, even for popular movies.
All the big studios rarely do it except for Sony.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Warner is loosening up on this little by little. The recent reissues for Christmas Vacation and Home Alone were both remastered from new 4k film scans.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

They did it for Goodfellas and Enter The Dragon as well. I was unaware Christmas Vacation received a new remaster. Home Alone is handled by Fox.

WB got caught pushing out a lot of sloppy transfers very early in the HD DVD/Blu-ray lifecycle, possibly due to financial incentives. The other studios were more selective for the most part, so they had fewer Blu-rays out that needed obvious remasters.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WB got caught pushing out a lot of sloppy transfers very early in the HD DVD/Blu-ray lifecycle, possibly due to financial incentives. The other studios were more selective for the most part, so they had fewer Blu-rays out that needed obvious remasters.
If that were the case Sony would not be doing so many remasters. All the studios are just as guilty as WB in needing obvious remasters and being sloppy. They all have a mixed record in this regard.

Quote:
They did it for Goodfellas and Enter The Dragon as well. I was unaware Christmas Vacation received a new remaster. Home Alone is handled by Fox.
WB has also released redos for Lord of Rings, Superman (boxset), Caddyshack, Excalibur, Road Warrior (new encode) and the Fugitive just to name a few.
I do not know how you missed Christmas Vacation, it is mentioned right on the same page as your post.

Last edited by wuther; 12-19-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
You're right about Home Alone being Fox. Brain fart on my part there.

The 25th Anniversary Edition of Christmas Vacation (which only seems to be available as a SteelBook at Best Buy for the moment) is the remaster.

Quote:
Can we please stop blaming everything on the Format War? The Format War ended 8 years ago. Warner's complacency about not remastering its catalog titles has nothing to do with the Format War and everything to do with the studio's corporate bureaucracy being legendary cheapskates.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't blaming the Format Warfor the quality of WB's early releases. I believe WB was very invested in pushing consumers beyond DVD back in those days and wanted at least one of the formats to commercially survive. It fell on them to supply more catalog titles than practically everyone else combined in those early days of HD DVD and Blu-ray. That also led them back then to churn out a number of somewhat shoddy transfers in retrospect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Elf Blu Ray , A Christmas Story Blu Ray , Scrooged 25th Anniversary Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Widescreen , National Lampoons Christmas Vacation Blu Ray