post #31 of 58 Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know AICN is a horrible thing.
They killed geekdom.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Guess we'll just have to watch Bruce in his current gig then.wink.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #33 of 58 Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It appears Shout factory has done an about face and has admitted the original Blu-ray release was ....er, substandard... and is using new (hopefully) true HD masters for the re-release of the collection and anyone who is getting replacement discs:

"Thank you for your recent purchase of the Bruce Lee Legacy Collection. We’re sorry to inform you that you have received a set that includes discs that do not meet our highest standards of quality assurance, and therefore we will be sending you replacement discs on or around September 16th.

The affected discs are all four Blu-rays, for which we have found improved hi-rez masters, and discs 10 and 11, which inadvertently contain content swapped from each other.

No action is required on your part. This email is simply intended to let you know about this problem and the steps we are taking to rectify it. Thanks again for your order."

Glad to see Shout owning up to the screw-up but Cliff McMillan needs to publicly apologize for either being too clueless to realize these were upscales or outright lying.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #34 of 58 Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Interesting turn of events. Cliff owes me a huge apology, but will never give it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #35 of 58 Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Glad to see Shout owning up to the screw-up but Cliff McMillan needs to publicly apologize for either being too clueless to realize these were upscales or outright lying.

Who did that email go out to? Surely not everyone who bought the set was notified. How will the majority of buyers get replacement discs?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #36 of 58 Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Josh, stop asking logical questions. You might confuse people!

post #37 of 58 Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Liked: 10
In the days of VHS I found transfers of Bruce Lee Chinese films to be decent except for the pan and scanning but once we got laser disc levels I noticed any film like quality missing...dvd got even worse for me as they look like cleaned up video with very little detail.
I always worry when reviewers say should please most Bruce Lee fans! As if Bruce Lee fans don't have any quality standards.

I witnessed all the Bruce Lee films in theaters originally from original prints and they looked spectacular and film like. Yes they all showed low budget production values but also showed good clarity,contrast and color that popped from the screen! In fact many of the prints were IB Technicolor which was an expensive way to make theatrical prints.
It is clear with numerous re-releases over the years that Golden Harvest put a lot of wear on the original negatives and I worry they are not salvageable for true JAWS like restorations but I hope someone with the power does something to save and restore them.

I know that prints or negatives were recently found at a Cathay warehouse in England which started a bidding war to buy them. Not sure who is bidding or what the condition is but it's all the Bruce Lee Chinese Films. Sounds like the condition of the materials is great and perhaps the best material available for true high quality HD masters for the future. I am only speculating though.

I hope the newer Shout Factory set is decent when it's finally released but why include I Am Bruce Lee on dvd when a Blu-Ray exists???

Anyway I hope it pleases audio videophiles as well as Bruce Lee fans!!
post #38 of 58 Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a laserdisc that features scenes from numerous Hong Kong martial arts pictures, including Bruce Lee's films. I forget the title, but it was clear the elements were pristine and that proper transfers could be made. If only they'd put in the time and effort.

post #39 of 58 Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

There is a laserdisc that features scenes from numerous Hong Kong martial arts pictures, including Bruce Lee's films. I forget the title, but it was clear the elements were pristine and that proper transfers could be made. If only they'd put in the time and effort.

That would be "The Deadliest Art - The Best Of The Martial Arts Films" from CBS/Fox Video which I still have on LD. A full 90 minute program, it's narrated by John Saxon and aside from significant fight clips from various Bruce Lee movies, it also includes numerous clips and interviews for this program from many other films featuring Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, Cynthia Rothrock and others. All the clips are letterboxed in what appears to be the appropriate aspect ratios and yes, most of the clips look very good (for standard def LD that is). It's really an excellent, fun to watch compilation.
post #40 of 58 Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Interesting turn of events. Cliff owes me a huge apology, but will never give it.
Cliff seems like a nice guy but never forget his participation on Blu-ray forums is solely to promote Shout Factory's various releases. He likely knew all along about the problem but like Baghdad Bob, had to keep repeating the company line. It's why Hollywood studios don't extend their marketing representatives out too far in uncontrolled interactions with the public on the Web. Eventually it comes back to bite them in situations like this one.
post #41 of 58 Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliff is not a nice guy.
I have proof.

That makes me awesome.
post #42 of 58 Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Cliff seems like a nice guy but never forget his participation on Blu-ray forums is solely to promote Shout Factory's various releases. He likely knew all along about the problem but like Baghdad Bob, had to keep repeating the company line. It's why Hollywood studios don't extend their marketing representatives out too far in uncontrolled interactions with the public on the Web. Eventually it comes back to bite them in situations like this one.
Actually, based on what I've seen, Cliff seems like a jerk.

There's a massive difference between repeating the company line and being downright disrespectful to people. That kind of behavior is unprofessional as well as a potential business killer and he needs to be muzzled for the sake of the company alone.

I've seen his kind before and those are the types that drive away customers to the point the company risks not being long in this world.

On the other hand, the way the mistakes in Season 1 of the ST:TNG set was handle was textbook customer service. You quickly and efficiently offer a replacement product along with a "thanks for your patience" card that shows class and professionalism.

The alternative is to say nothing at all if it isn't going to do anything to make customers happy, then fix the issues in the work going forward - which is apparently the way they'll handle season 2.

Spouting venom on the internet when people have you by the balls is a good way to get neutered.
post #43 of 58 Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I could easily ruin Cliff, but would be in violation of this forum's rules in doing so. He has a tendency to spew out anything via PM and email when he is mad. Shout! needs to can him because he does all harm and no good.

post #44 of 58 Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could easily ruin Cliff, but would be in violation of this forum's rules in doing so. He has a tendency to spew out anything via PM and email when he is mad. Shout! needs to can him because he does all harm and no good.

PM me.

That makes me awesome.
post #45 of 58 Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So is anyone getting the "corrected" discs? I've had the Fortune Star HK releases for a long time now, just wondering if there's a small chance these might be an improvement.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #46 of 58 Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Guess we'll just have to watch Bruce in his current gig then.wink.gif

That's pretty good. The best CGI of Bruce I've seen. Still has a fakey look to it but good nonetheless
post #47 of 58 Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 134
has anyone received there replacement disks or has purchased this since the new transfers have gone out?

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #48 of 58 Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 AM

DVDBeaver have a new review up of Shout Factory's "The Big Boss". The transfer seems identical to the HK version and looks pretty good. The best thing is that it contains the original mandarin mono-track. That's the only reason I hold on to my korean DVD-set and haven't bought any BDs of Bruce Lee's movies yet.
I hope the rest of the Legacy Collection is just as good.

PS; Do anyone know how to tell the difference between the old Legacy Set and the new corrected Legacy set?
post #49 of 58 Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, they have a number of reviews up with screenshots. Lots of Teal in there. As expected. rolleyes.gif

Mono should be lossless, but no surprise there. I guess some of us will be capturing audio from laserdiscs and syncing up. mad.gif

post #50 of 58 Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Bruce Lee Legacy Collection Blu-ray Box Set deal if anyone is interested. It's the revised set with the corrected discs.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-shout-factory-1?utm_source=rvs&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=4145479
post #51 of 58 Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

Bruce Lee Legacy Collection Blu-ray Box Set deal if anyone is interested. It's the revised set with the corrected discs.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-shout-factory-1?utm_source=rvs&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=4145479

Hi,

How do you know this is the revised edition with the corrected discs? It doesn't say anything about this in the description.

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #52 of 58 Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM

I believe people have been buying them! The UPCs are also different (but looks like there's nothing on the Groupon page revealing the UPC of the product), IIRC if you have 666 on the UPC somewhere then you have the old release.
post #53 of 58 Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM

I did think it was quite convenient how the Blu-ray.com review completely ignored the blatant compression issues the transfers have but felt otherwise it seemed a pretty balanced review, whre are the missing soundtracks and dodgy disc reports coming from then Nagys?
post #54 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM

I sort of lost interest in that "other forum" thread and didn't realise there's new furore over allegations that the Mandarin track on Fist of Fury is in fact a reproduction of the Cantonese track. How something like that wouldn't get spotted within 5mins by any fan who got hold the collection, I don't know tbh! Either Bruce Lee fans in general are extremely ignorant of foreign cinema or the guy reporting that the Mandarin track is fudged has his wires crossed! Either way it's pretty disappointing news!
post #55 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

I sort of lost interest in that "other forum" thread and didn't realise there's new furore over allegations that the Mandarin track on Fist of Fury is in fact a reproduction of the Cantonese track. How something like that wouldn't get spotted within 5mins by any fan who got hold the collection, I don't know tbh! Either Bruce Lee fans in general are extremely ignorant of foreign cinema or the guy reporting that the Mandarin track is fudged has his wires crossed! Either way it's pretty disappointing news!

Shout Factory has no QC at all, isn't the first time a they released a title with duplicate audio tracks.

That makes me awesome.
post #56 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Shout Factory botched the "corrected" versions by duplicating the Cantonese audio on Fists of Fury's Mandarin soundtrack. I would guess they eventually allow some sort of exchange for that problematic disc. This has been a badly botched release, snake-bitten almost from the beginning. I was nervous that a smaller distributor like Shout got the Bruce Lee movies in the first place to distribute on Blu-ray.
post #57 of 58 Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Yes, Shout Factory botched the "corrected" versions by duplicating the Cantonese audio on Fists of Fury's Mandarin soundtrack.

Check out this e-mail I got yesterday:

Please be advised that we have recently shipped replacement Disc 4: Fist of Fury Blu-Ray. This disc includes the Cantonese Audio Track missing on the initial disc. You should be receiving it via first-class mail in just a few days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we thank you for remaining a loyal SHOUT! Factory customer.

Sincerely,

SHOUT! Factory Customer Service

I sure hope that's a typo.rolleyes.gif
post #58 of 58 Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it is a typo; I've heard the problem has been corrected in the replacement discs.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page