post #1 of 74 Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
September 10.

No indication of new scans or remasters. frown.gif

"This 12-disc release contains all 10 original 'Star Trek' films spanning 1979 - 2002, including: 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture,' 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,' 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock,' 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,' 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier,' 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,' 'Star Trek: Generations,' 'Star Trek: First Contact,' 'Star Trek: Insurrection,' and 'Star Trek: Nemesis.'
The Blu-rays will feature 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks, and supplements will mirror those found on the currently available releases, including: Commentaries; Deleted Scenes; Featurettes; two bonus discs: "Star Trek Summit" and "Star Trek Evolutions"; and more."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And the only thing that occurs to mind: why? At least throw us a bone and stick the Director's Cut of ST:TMP in there or something...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #3 of 74 Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

And the only thing that occurs to mind: why? At least throw us a bone and stick the Director's Cut of ST:TMP in there or something...

Cash in for Star Trek Into Darkness, just like when the last collection was released in 2009.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #4 of 74 Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 832
those are the same discs as in the TMP/TNG sets. Paramount doesn't do restorations...
post #5 of 74 Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

IIRC, the new digital effects work for the DC of TMP was standard definition quality. Paramount would have to have that work re-done, and since they're not into restoring these films, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a blu-ray edition of it.
post #6 of 74 Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wouldn't be the first time Paramount released upscaled SD content on Blu-ray.
post #7 of 74 Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

IIRC, the new digital effects work for the DC of TMP was standard definition quality. Paramount would have to have that work re-done, and since they're not into restoring these films, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a blu-ray edition of it.

Sadly, Paramount did not allocate enough money to do the DC in HD as it was designated as a home-video project because it was not initiated by the cinema side of Paramount but rather the home video/TV side. If I recall correctly, it was a very very low-budget project, with most of the money going into the restoration of the film elements with only a handful of VFX artists doing small amounts of shot replacement. At any rate, the VFX work would not hold up today and would have to be re-done to meet Paramount's expectations. I would love to see them restore it like they did with TNG and TOS, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #8 of 74 Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I would love to see them restore it like they did with TNG and TOS, but I'm not holding my breath.

Correction: The TOS and TNG restorations were initiated, funded and performed by CBS Films. Paramount just distributes the TV shows, but owns the movies outright.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9 of 74 Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Well, there's a;ways the 50th anniversary.
nathanddrews likes this.

post #10 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LMAO

They'll probably just take the current master and upscale it to 8K.
DavidHir likes this.
post #11 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Sadly, Paramount did not allocate enough money to do the DC in HD as it was designated as a home-video project because it was not initiated by the cinema side of Paramount but rather the home video/TV side. If I recall correctly, it was a very very low-budget project, with most of the money going into the restoration of the film elements with only a handful of VFX artists doing small amounts of shot replacement. At any rate, the VFX work would not hold up today and would have to be re-done to meet Paramount's expectations. I would love to see them restore it like they did with TNG and TOS, but I'm not holding my breath.
It's really sad because there is no question the director's cut improves the film. But the vfx work was shoddy then so good grief, just get it on already. If Highlander 2 can have new 1080p vfx work for a DVD and BluRay release, then Star Trek TMP can as well.
mad.gif

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #12 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Imagine Viacom spending money on getting the director's cut of ST TMP up to current theatrical presentation qualities (like 4k resolution SFX). It would be like funding an entire sci-fi movie all over again. They'd never do it. Gotta give their CEO another couple of summer houses in Bermuda instead.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #13 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't want to use Highlander 2 as a benchmark for "restoration". That whole job was a complete and utter screw-up due to the poor production oversight for the "Redeemed Version". The film was not properly scanned and cleaned up for HD so many of the shots are looking like upscaled DVD footage. I've seen the film so many times on DVD that I can say with certainty that the Blu-Ray release of the "Redeemed Version" is a failure as far as A/V goes. It's so bad that the "Redeemed Version" is out of print on Blu-Ray and has been replaced by a Blu of the "Renegade Version", which was the restored Director's Cut of the film that the "Redeemed Version" was built upon.
post #14 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I had read that Star Trek II (the best of all the movies to date) was recently fully restored at 4k as part of a wave of Paramount classics being prepped for the archives. No word on any of the other films in the series getting the same treatment. However, Paramount is probably holding off on releasing the restoration to home video until the UHD version.

post #15 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I had read that Star Trek II (the best of all the movies to date) was recently fully restored at 4k as part of a wave of Paramount classics being prepped for the archives. No word on any of the other films in the series getting the same treatment. However, Paramount is probably holding off on releasing the restoration to home video until the UHD version.

The Blu-ray for Star Trek II comes from that 4k restoration. It's the only movie in the set with a new 4k scan.

Josh Z

post #16 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Joan Rivers is the only thing that's been restored for viewing more times than TWOK has been. It has gotten a 4K restoration, but I don't know if we'll see it until the 50th Anniversary.
post #17 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

It's really sad because there is no question the director's cut improves the film.

I question it. I don't hate the Director's Cut, but I thought the pacing was very choppy, and the new CGI and sound effects were crappy. I'm well aware of the production problems on TMP and how rushed the finished product was, but the theatrical cut still feels more complete and polished to me. The Director's Cut felt like Robert Wise overthought himself too many years after-the-fact. I prefer the theatrical cut.

But I suppose I'm in a minority for liking the movie at all. I think it's a far better movie than the beloved ST IV, which is IMO a total dog.

Josh Z

post #18 of 74 Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The Blu-ray for Star Trek II comes from that 4k restoration. It's the only movie in the set with a new 4k scan.

That's too bad since the outdated transfers for the original crew films they have been using look like dog crap.

Will the new Wrath of Khan have the extended director's cut included with restored scenes?

post #19 of 74 Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. I prefer the theatrical cut.

But I suppose I'm in a minority for liking the movie at all. I think it's a far better movie than the beloved ST IV, which is IMO a total dog.

Seconded. Although I also prefer the DC. It had more of the character interplay that many bemoaned as missing from the TC, as well as clarifying background details (such as Ilia's inherent lustiness!) I could live without the redone effects but I do wish it were released with the additional footage.

post #20 of 74 Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think ST IV was a total dog. It was more like a light-hearted romp, which is what Nimoy was going for. He wanted it more up beat after Khan and Search for Spock. And at the time there was less backlash to having social commentary in sci-fi stories (which was the point of Star Trek to begin with). Nowadays they dumb everything down and are afraid to touch on problems of the day.

post #21 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think ST IV was a total dog. It was more like a light-hearted romp, which is what Nimoy was going for.

What he was going for (at Paramount's explicit instruction) was a Star Trek movie that would play to people who didn't like Star Trek. I happen to like Star Trek, and ST IV's shameless pandering and infantile comedy irritate me more each time I watch it.

Josh Z

post #22 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I enjoy ST IV, good movie. ST V on the other hand doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
post #23 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What he was going for (at Paramount's explicit instruction) was a Star Trek movie that would play to people who didn't like Star Trek.

They're probably telling Abrams the same thing.

post #24 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

They're probably telling Abrams the same thing.

actually abrams has been totally up front about making his star trek for people who are aren't trek fans. that seemed like his #1 requirement based on the commentary and other extras.

- Chris
post #25 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

actually abrams has been totally up front about making his star trek for people who are aren't trek fans. that seemed like his #1 requirement based on the commentary and other extras.

The plain fact of the matter is that Abrams didn't like Star Trek before being hired. He has said on numerous occasions that he was a Star Wars kid first and foremost.

Josh Z

post #26 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The plain fact of the matter is that Abrams didn't like Star Trek before being hired. He has said on numerous occasions that he was a Star Wars kid first and foremost.

And it shows. These Star Trek reboots are almost as badly written and directed as the Transformers franchise.

post #27 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Unfortunately, the next Trek film will be written once again by the Transformers duo, Orci and Kurtzman. I do not find them to be very capable writers, all spectacle and no substance. Never mind the rest of their writing shortcomings.

It is a shame Paramount/Warner are doing the lazy route of recycling these lack luster transfers. Except Khan which looks overall great, and First Contact looks decent despite the DNR.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #28 of 74 Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Unfortunately, the next Trek film will be written once again by the Transformers duo, Orci and Kurtzman. I do not find them to be very capable writers, all spectacle and no substance. Never mind the rest of their writing shortcomings.

It is a shame Paramount/Warner are doing the lazy route of recycling these lack luster transfers. Except Khan which looks overall great, and First Contact looks decent despite the DNR.

Best Regards
KvE

That's why I haven't been excited to see most modern summer movies in quite a few years. They green light insultingly simplistic scripts because that sells better in foreign markets. An explosion means the same thing in any language. frown.gif

post #29 of 74 Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Star Trek writing process:

Abrams: I was searching YouTube for the most iconic Trek moments while eating Lucky Charms this morning and saw this fight scene between Kirk and this green dude. We should have a scene like that.
Orci: Awesome, is that the one where the music is all like 'Da-da-da-da-da-dun-da-dadada' and he throws rocks at the dude in the rubber suit?
Abrams: Yeah, so classic, we need to write that into the plot somehow.
Orci: That should be easy since we don't have a plot yet, just action scenes and one-liners.
Kurtzman: That reminds me, there's this awesome line where Data says, "Oh sh*t!" as the Enterprise is crashing into a planet and it plays really well to nerds.
Abrams: Isn't that from Voyager?
Orci: Yeah, but it tests well among 11-75 year old Trekkers, they'll never notice.
Abrams: Perfect, let's start shooting!
post #30 of 74 Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

And it shows. These Star Trek reboots are almost as badly written and directed as the Transformers franchise.

I realize opinions are highly subjective, but no. Just no. Transformers is terrible at everything but being a ILM demo reel.

NuTrek might not be for everyone, but I dare someone to go back to TOS and tell me they didn't do a pretty good job of taking the original Trek and updating it.

I think the problem lies in people have an idea of what Trek is with 4 series post TOS, and the technobabble, technocratic Trek is what they expect going forward. Which was tired and resulted in 3 pretty terrible TNG movies, and one OK one that threw everything about TNG out the window.

I mean, I've seen people saying and believing a movie based on section 31 will somehow resurrect the IP. Even among fans, I doubt many even know what the heck they're babbling about.
Osirus23 likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Star Trek Stardate Collection Blu Ray Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page