Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I searched and found nothing so...

This one surprised me. I RedBoxed it fully expecting to be bored (based upon the negative reviews and word the director was forced to cut the budget and speed up the shoot right after principle photography began). But a funny thing happened. I sort of kinda liked it. What hooked me was the scene between Noomi Rapace and Colin Farrell in the truck. Noomi is about as good as actress as actresses get and she is always completely believable.

The story is a bit cliched but how often do we get to see an adult film told in an adult way? It's super rare. The director is Niels Arden Oplev and the man knows how to create a mood. His The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cost a tenth of what Daivd Fincher spent and yet his was by far the best version.

If there is one flaw that sticks out it is this... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A massive shootout takes place at the end and no cops show up despite fully automatic weapons going off, trucks flying through houses and bombs going kabloom. Come on now.

Anyway, I cannot was philispohical as i have a deadline so I'll get to the visuals. They shot the film with an Alexa in an attempt to go for the beauty of the shot. They wanted to avoid the grain structure of film. Interesting choice. I personally feel it looks a bit brown, but modern films love to accentuate a single color. And yes, there is teal here. Isn't there always? rolleyes.gif

The BluRay looked fantastic and the sound was phenomenal. No complaints. The two extras worth checking out involved the shootouts and set design (very cool) and the photpgraphy. I was taken completely by surprise upon finding out Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the balcony apartment shots were all sets with photographic plates of NYC. It looks completely real.

So worth a rental. No classic, but not the turd some critics claimed.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I searched and found nothing so...

This one surprised me. I RedBoxed it fully expecting to be bored (based upon the negative reviews and word the director was forced to cut the budget and speed up the shoot right after principle photography began). But a funny thing happened. I sort of kinda liked it. What hooked me was the scene between Noomi Rapace and Colin Farrell in the truck. Noomi is about as good as actress as actresses get and she is always completely believable.

The story is a bit cliched but how often do we get to see an adult film told in an adult way? It's super rare. The director is Niels Arden Oplev and the man knows how to create a mood. His The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cost a tenth of what Daivd Fincher spent and yet his was by far the best version.

If there is one flaw that sticks out it is this... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A massive shootout takes place at the end and no cops show up despite fully automatic weapons going off, trucks flying through houses and bombs going kabloom. Come on now.

Anyway, I cannot was philispohical as i have a deadline so I'll get to the visuals. They shot the film with an Alexa in an attempt to go for the beauty of the shot. They wanted to avoid the grain structure of film. Interesting choice. I personally feel it looks a bit brown, but modern films love to accentuate a single color. And yes, there is teal here. Isn't there always? rolleyes.gif

The BluRay looked fantastic and the sound was phenomenal. No complaints. The two extras worth checking out involved the shootouts and set design (very cool) and the photpgraphy. I was taken completely by surprise upon finding out Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the balcony apartment shots were all sets with photographic plates of NYC. It looks completely real.

So worth a rental. No classic, but not the turd some critics claimed.
Agreed but could have been much better with a bit more imagination into the writing, particularly in the 3rd act. The film seemed to slowly run out of air as it moved along and by the third act was just deflated. I enjoyed it but really thought it could have had some better twists and turns.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Much better than expected for me as well. I was able to score a mint BD in a pawn shop for $4.smile.gif

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How is the camera work on this one? I eject any BD title with a lot of handheld and/or shaky camera work.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Every film in modern times has some shaky cam. This one not that much. The director knows how to move the camera and tell a story.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Dead Man Down Blu Ray Ultraviolet Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page