Disney's Sword in the Stone remaster a total disaster! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is going on here? Stone in particular has been given the middle finger and then some! Is the source for Stone in bad shape?

Oliver is okay and so is Robin Hood by most accounts.... they have been given the usual treatment for budget titles and are very sharp. Contrast is high but so it was on many of their other films. Details are still intact. The DVDs were really not very far off here for contrast.

Sword in the Stone may need a petition and I am pretty serious. Someone messed it up or the master is crap. I have no idea. The aspect ratio's framing is also pretty bad in some scenes and cropping doesn't look intentional in a lot of them like it does in Robin Hood. They could have easily reframed the image if they had looked at it more closely. Would love to see an original print.

Bluray.com has the reviews up now and they are deeply concerning but I'm not sure to what extent! Fox and the Hound basically had zero restoration but at least they left the thing alone. This honestly sickens me how they have started treating their films compared to the first ones which still even had some problems! These are still huge films for collectors and fans alike!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sword-in-the-Stone-Blu-ray/44743/#Review

Robin Hood appears to be in the best shape. But Sword seems like the worst of the bunch by miles although Oliver looks a little bright but not horrid or anything for what it is.

Please contact Disney here if you care!

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/Contact_Us.html

Everybody should fill out this form. This is what Disney contacted me with and sent my message ahead to someone, probably a robot.

SKU per Best Buy is: 1006569

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyTheSwordintheStone?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Screenshots of the aspect ratio differences:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=204278

Note that it is very possible to reframe this widescreen AR to not crop out as much of the top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, those do look horrific, especially Sword. The DNR and sharpening is out of control.
post #3 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Wow, Sword in the Stone looks awful.
post #4 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
A friend of mine just sent me dozens of screen grabs comparing to an older iTunes HD master and THIS IS A DISASTER.

Let me repeat...

THIS IS A DISASTER.

It should be recalled. The evidence is overwhelming on this one. I am astounded Disney would allow something like this to happen.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #5 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It's the Star Wars curse, bastards shut down LucasArts and Clone Wars.
post #6 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
If it's not in their Diamond and Platinum brand list, the title is going to be crapped on. They don't care much about their older titles, except certain ones they think will get snatched up.

With the state PIXAR has become... dull, insipid stories with uninteresting characters, and sequels up the wazoo I'm not surprised that Lasseter doesn't put much stock in restoring all the Disney legacy. It's become like any other studio... film is product, not art.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #7 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Treasure Planet is not listed as Diamond or Platinum and it was not 'crapped on', in fact I found the pq quite excellent.
pcweber111 likes this.
post #8 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sword in the Stone is truly horrific. Oliver and Company looks fine but I cannot change the thread. Contrast and darkness on that one are pretty much par course for an upgraded Bluray I think the reviewer was a little off saying it was totally blown out when most Disney releases are like this to some extent.

Sword in the Stone needs to be recalled. Simple as that. Please write support and join in discussion on bluray.com forums if you care.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220028&page=21

Also, I find plenty of Disney non-diamonds to look great overall for what they are and the budget they had.

I will repeat this is only for Sword in the Stone. The film has been DNR'd within an inch of its life and the poor master or whatever they used is not helping it.
post #9 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Dnr in the Stone (or how about Stoned Dnr) has plenty of defenders, like saying this is how the original cells looked and positive reviews mentioning how clean it is.
post #10 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I just saw the screen caps for SitS and it looks godawful!!! Took an old master and just scrubbed the hell out of it 'til it became a blurry mess.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #11 of 95 Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

You honestly can't scrub an old master to death like that. It negates all the detail or whatever detail was there to begin with. It's hideous in way too many shots and not any other film in their catalogue of animation looks this bad at least the major Disney numbers. You really cannot defend this with a straight face.

I mean you want to release this for 5 bucks sure. This a ****ing 50th anniversary release that costs 25 bucks. They can rightfully go to hell if they think people should pay for this.
post #12 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If the studios don't re-scan old artworks like this at the highest available resolution now, will the negatives last long enough for it to be done in future?

I fear much art will just be allowed to deteriorate to dust and the public given "tarted up" old masters because the studios don't think they can make much money out of them. For gods sake, if that is the case, release the negatives into the public domain and allow the enthusiasts to do it themselves.

It reminds me of the farming practices of yore, when mountains of produce were bulldozed into the ground because the farmers weren't getting what they wanted for it, whilst various nations were starving to death. Completely reprehensible that profit is allowed to dictate sense.
post #13 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
What exactly were the intersting Pixar stories. A cooking rat perhaps?

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #14 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Pixar? Well, to answer that Rat, WALL-E, Incredibles, Toy Stories, and UP are all damn fine films. Monster Inc is pretty decent. I don't care for Nemo but it isn't bad and the rest are mediocre to okay.

But I digress. Please help out the cause and mail Disney about this atrocity.

support@disneyonline.com

Disneyinfo@Disneyhelp.com
post #15 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
These people really need to get away from the "film grain is the devil" thing they've got going on. The sad part is that most people that watch this (Joe Consumer) will marvel at how crisp and clean it looks, so they'll just keep doing it over and over again.

And they have put out good releases before.. I'm not sure why some titles get this kind of treatment while others don't.

I'm not normally that much of a stickler for this kind of thing, but when I looked at those screenshots, even resized and processed as they are, even I can see how poorly implemented that filtering is.. I've seen that exact kind of artifacting before when messing around in Photoshop and such, and it always ends with a "yuck, that's not what I was after..." *Undo*

Really makes you wonder who signs off on this kind of thing. At some point, somebody (probably a guy in a suit who knows ****-all about filmmaking) had to look at this and say "Yes, that's exactly what I want", even if people (like the technicians actually doing the work) voiced their opposition.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #16 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

These people really need to get away from the "film grain is the devil" thing they've got going on. The sad part is that most people that watch this (Joe Consumer) will marvel at how crisp and clean it looks, so they'll just keep doing it over and over again.

And they have put out good releases before.. I'm not sure why some titles get this kind of treatment while others don't.

They gotta cut corners to pay Lucas his billions.
post #17 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Travesty.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #18 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56

This is beyond outrageous!!  A national tragedy!  I don't know at all what I shall do.  I'm so aghast I don't believe I can even force myself to partake of dinner this evening.  I'm feeling a bit faint now...

ron

post #19 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 103
This should not have come as a shock. Disney is not spending money or attempting serious efforts in restoring anything less than their best animated sellers these days.
post #20 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Treasure Planet is not listed as Diamond or Platinum and it was not 'crapped on', in fact I found the pq quite excellent.

Treasure Planet is a banding nightmare. But it still is better then Sword in the Stone.
post #21 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

As they have said many times before their aim is to duplicate as well as possible the original intent of the pure cells. Some people don't agree but usually when they pay attention they do well with this. In this instance the film is like a pile of watercolors and not very good looking ones at times. They need a new master or they just need to leave the grain and let it go. You can only properly scub a film imho when you have a new master or a damn good one.
post #22 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

This is beyond outrageous!!  A national tragedy!  I don't know at all what I shall do.  I'm so aghast I don't believe I can even force myself to partake of dinner this evening.  I'm feeling a bit faint now...

ron

You really didn't need to come here to post that. Go somewhere else.
post #23 of 95 Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 PM

Liked: 14
It takes a special kind of stupid to make a blu-ray look worse than the DVD.
Omni009 likes this.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #24 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Liked: 16
Sword in the Stone was in the era when Disney's animators used a new Xerox process to save money. This resulted in a rough, sketchy look to the outlines. This must have played havoc with the DNR filter they used resulting in the extra terrible appearance of these frames.
post #25 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Indeed. Milo & Stitch, in addition to The Emperors New Groove all looked quite good in my eyes. Maybe there are slight issues with each but overall I've been impressed. I don't think it's necessarily that Disney craps on older releases like this but is it possible this is an isolated incident?
post #26 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

Treasure Planet is a banding nightmare. But it still is better then Sword in the Stone.

I did not notice this, what scenes are a banding 'nightmare'? I should point out that some banding in early cg productions were in the source material rather then made in the transfer.
post #27 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

You really didn't need to come here to post that. Go somewhere else.

Geez, lighten up man.  I've found life's a lot more fun when I'm not uptight about the small and insignificant stuff.  It also helps to have at least a tiny sense of humor...

ron

post #28 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

This should not have come as a shock. Disney is not spending money or attempting serious efforts in restoring anything less than their best animated sellers these days.

I imported Aladdin on blu from the UK and even a big Disney title like that is over sharpened. EE is very easy to see when viewed on a large screen.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #29 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does it look awful ? It looks far better than the dvd does. It looks great...
post #30 of 95 Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post

How does it look awful ? It looks far better than the dvd does. It looks great...

Ya knew that one had to be pulled out 'looks better then dvd' which debatable in of itself, of course the other version floating around (iTunes?) that looks better although far from perfect does not count.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Sword In The Stone 50th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy