Twixt - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Released recently on BR, this is Francis Ford Coppola's most recently available film. Although it has a copyright of 2011, it does not appear that it ever went into wide release, if ever. Contrary to the opinion on Blu-ray.com, it looks fantastic. The movie itself has a now pudgey Val Kilmer in the lead role and is another low budget horror film, but done extremely well. The female lead is Elle Fanning, remember Super 8? One of the more important aspects of the film was that it was suppose to undergo a post conversion into 3D and if it ever did so is probably sitting somewhere in Coppola's possession. In looking at the BR I couldn't help but enable 2D--->3D conversion and it looks simply great because Coppola shot it with that in mind. Imagine that could start a new trend in how a film is shot so that the algorithm for 2D--->3D via either the high definition display or BR player makes it into 3D without any additional effort, meaning that those extravagantly priced 3D BR's could become a thing of the past. Of course, there is no chance of that happening. It has become a more than common occurrence that seeing the actual movie at the theater in 3D is simply a waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It had some interesting elements, but ultimately felt like a failed experiment by Coppola. I assume the 3D sequences were largely intended for the very stylized dreams, because they look quite odd in normal 2D.

Complete screenshots and review are available...

http://www.doblu.com/2013/07/30/twixt-bluray-review/
post #3 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Liked: 143
If one is curious Netflix will have this in Blu ray starting on 8-20-13.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #4 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watched the Blu-ray a couple weeks ago and I had no idea Kilmer was the lead (who plays a horror writer) or that FFCoppola wrote and directed it a couple years ago until I saw it. A grizzled and (typically) wacky Bruce Dern is also in it and the film overall has a low budget straight-to-video feel about it. Still, it's not entirely bad, the photography is mostly beautiful and there's a lot of weird, hypnotic dream sequences in it.

Story in a nutshell is Kilmer plays a washed up alcoholic horror story writer trying to come up with a new book in a small town while working out a mystery why a dozen kids were murdered, how a bunch of teenaged goth punks who may be vampires figure into it and what clues Edgar Allen Poe(!) and the "surviving" ghostly female victim can give him while he's asleep and dreaming.

Kilmer looks pretty bloated and unhealthy, reminds me a bit of William Shatner in the last couple decades. At one point while drunk (the scene looks like an out-take while Kilmer really was loaded), Kilmer lapses into impressions of other famous actors - he does a pretty good Brando.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

One of the more important aspects of the film was that it was suppose to undergo a post conversion into 3D and if it ever did so is probably sitting somewhere in Coppola's possession.

The version of the movie that played in film festivals the past couple of years was primarily 2D but would switch to 3D during selected scenes. This meant that audiences had to wear 3D glasses for the duration of a movie that was mostly 2D. It was not a good idea in theaters with lightweight passive glasses, and it's an even worse idea for home video where most 3D viewers are forced to wear bulky active glasses.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The version of the movie that played in film festivals the past couple of years was primarily 2D but would switch to 3D during selected scenes. This meant that audiences had to wear 3D glasses for the duration of a movie that was mostly 2D. It was not a good idea in theaters with lightweight passive glasses, and it's an even worse idea for home video where most 3D viewers are forced to wear bulky active glasses.

Good to know. Given that a lot of what happens in the movie is at night, it looks phenomenal in 3D. For those with a newer high definition display, the glasses are no longer so bulky and cumbersome.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 36
Thanks! for sharing All,

this one slipped past me as well. I would not have known about it, if I did not see it advertised in the BB Sunday paper circular.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Thanks! for sharing All,

this one slipped past me as well. I would not have known about it, if I did not see it advertised in the BB Sunday paper circular.

Interestingly, it was on local Best Buy shelves a couple weeks ahead of it's listed street date. I watched it almost a month ago.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Liked: 36
Thanks! Partyslammer - love your avatar.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Twixt Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Twixt by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page