post #31 of 47 Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

But if it is 1080i, it would not be at 24 fps but at 30 and would be 4% fast. Since the series was originally shot on film, the source material is probably 24 fps.

The original could be 24 fps, or it could be 25 fps. British TV programs sometimes shot at 25 fps to make the conversion to PAL easier.

If it was 25 fps and has been slowed down to 24 for the Blu-ray, that's generally less noticeable or distracting than 24 fps being sped up to PAL 50 Hz.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I got the Blu-Ray set and it shows a 23.976 1080p framerate so all of you who worried about this, don't have to. There should be no problem on any player.

post #33 of 47 Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I got the Blu-Ray set and it shows a 23.976 1080p framerate so all of you who worried about this, don't have to. There should be no problem on any player.
Many thanks. Were the discs ordered direct from Amazon.com; does the package have 1080i on the back, like the ads?

I heard back yesterday from Amazon rep after 7 business days about my 1080i-vs.-1080p query (above), but rep needed 4 more days. -- John.
post #34 of 47 Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Can you confirm that the BD's have subtitles?

Thanks.

SMK
post #35 of 47 Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The packaging says "SDH subtitles".

post #36 of 47 Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Next time you pop a disc in could you check to be certain? It wouldn't be the first time packaging was wrong.

Thanks.

SMK
post #37 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just attempted to watch this on my Oppo (with mod) but the discs will not play. It's a while now since I updated the player so perhaps that's the problem. Anyone know if the update will cause problems with the mod? The mod is one of those USB things plugged into the back of the player.
post #38 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^Not familiar with Oppo, modded or not. Assume you've tried playing with the USB gadget removed? Thought UK players usually handled everything. Maybe you missed a step, if anything like these instructions apply.

Spent awhile yesterday reading a variety of ads for this 'complete collection' Blu-ray series, post Aug. 27 intro date in the U.S., and found spec descriptions are still as fuzzy as ever:
*Acorn Media still lists the set as 1080i.
*Amazon for Canada lists as MPEG4, 1080p as does...
*...Blu-ray. com until you click the ORDER button, which takes you to...
*...Amazon. com (USA), which still says only Blu-ray discs and NTSC {presumably meaning SD Rec.601-like extras)!?

My query to/from an Amazon rep (above) is still unanswered, after two requests from them for more time. -- John
post #39 of 47 Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Well, my player has never failed me before. Have since tried it on another two machines. No dice. Looks like it will be on its way back over the pond sometime soon.
post #40 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX200GPS12 View Post

Just attempted to watch this on my Oppo (with mod) but the discs will not play. It's a while now since I updated the player so perhaps that's the problem. Anyone know if the update will cause problems with the mod? The mod is one of those USB things plugged into the back of the player.

Which Oppo do you have? Is it a Euro model or a U.S. spec one. I have two Oppos (a BDP-83SE and a BDP-105) and these discs play fine in both. Both have internal region-free mods, not the type you have.

Be sure you try playing them with BD-Live turned off and clear the on-board storage on the Oppo. Are you also sure you selected the proper Blu-Ray region? Region switching for Blu-Ray is not automatic with any of these mods.

post #41 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes, it is the European model. With regard to the region code; if I ever attempt to play a disc when the player is set to the "wrong" region then I get an error message about incompatability. I'm not getting this message but I'm going to make sure the player is set to region A just to confirm to myself that this is not the problem. At the moment the disc goes in and I get the BMDV logo in the top left of the screen. This is followed by the word "stop" and it seems to get stuck there - no button presses on the remote will shift it. The other thingis the persistent storage is empty and the player is not connected to the internet.Thanks.
post #42 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Oh my God!! I'm a complete idiot! Have now made sure the player is set to region "A" and popped in Deadwood just to make certain. Then popped in Prime Suspect and it worked. I can only apologise for being so stupid. In my defence I will say that absolutely every time I've needed to change the player's region code I get the incompatible message. As I didn't get it this time I suspected the disc was the cause. Oh well, learned something today. Thanks again - if it wasn't for your post I would never have checked it.
post #43 of 47 Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't always get the incompatibility message, as you've learned. And even if you are not connected to the Internet, some disks don't work right if you have BD-Live enabled. There are even a few disks that won't work if you don't have BD-Live turned on. Welcome to the wonderful world of BD-Java and weird studio programming.

post #44 of 47 Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX200GPS12 View Post

Oh my God!! I'm a complete idiot! Have now made sure the player is set to region "A" and popped in Deadwood just to make certain. Then popped in Prime Suspect and it worked. I can only apologise for being so stupid. In my defence I will say that absolutely every time I've needed to change the player's region code I get the incompatible message. As I didn't get it this time I suspected the disc was the cause. Oh well, learned something today. Thanks again - if it wasn't for your post I would never have checked it.

Are these the discs being sold in the US? If so, could you please verify that they have subtitles?

Thanks.

SMK
post #45 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Are these the discs being sold in the US? If so, could you please verify that they have subtitles?

Thanks.

SMK

They are available from Amazon. Check their reviews for mention of subtitles and a previous post says that the package says there are subtitles.
post #46 of 47 Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

There are subtitles but English only. I have verified this and also verified that the set is region ABC so it should play in any Blu-Ray player in the world.

post #47 of 47 Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are subtitles but English only.

Thanks for verifying it. My wife has a serious hearing impairment and English accents only make it harder for her to understand.

SMK
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page