Greystoke Legend of Tarzan - Bluray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This seems to have slipped under the radar here so I thought I'd give mention to this recently released title on Blu-ray under the Warner Archives label.

I understand this movie had been delayed for a Blu-ray release repeatedly literally for years, even apparently coming out a couple week later than it's final street date of 7/16/13. On home video, the film has kind of been one of Warner Bros more overlooked releases, seeing a fullscreen laserdisc and vhs release, than a letterboxed LD release in the late 80's which had many complaints of massive disc rot (mine did) and finally a very nice looking if near bare-bones anamorphic widescreen dvd release.

This new Warner Archives Blu-ray release is pretty much a HiDef port of the same transfer used for the older DVD release down to only including the director's commentary and the theatrical trailer. It's a testament to how impressive looking l the older transfer source was or is in regards to how nice this Blu-ray looks. It *is* a significant upgrade over the old dvd in both audio and video presentation but I give much of the credit to the simple fact it's in the higher HD resolution versus whatever minor tweaks may have been done to the (DVD) source to prep it for a Blu-ray release. The transfer is film-like with little noticeably digital tampering. Colors and framing are almost identical between the dvd and br releases, maybe a bit more saturation and deeper blacks on the BR. But it's the added detail the 1080p Blu-ray gives over the DVD in regards to this wonderfully photographed film that really qualifies this movie and release as one of the best looking early 80's movie thus far released on Blu-ray.

The film itself is an episodic retelling of the origin of John Greystoke (who is never actually called Tarzan in the film!) from being raised by apes to his troubled return to civilization. There's wonderful performances by Sir Ralph Richardson, Ian Holm, Andie McDowell (in her film debut which was re-dubbed by Glenn Close!) and Christopher Lambert excellent as Greystoke in his major film debut as well. Once John is returned to civilization and takes his place as Earl of Greystoke, the movie kind of drags and ends logically, but rather abruptly. Aside form the beautiful photography, especially in Camaroon, the music score is outstanding and I wish the score had been given it's own isolated audio track.

Fans of this movie will not be disappointed unless they were counting on significant (new) bonus features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It has the gamma of a newer transfer.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

It has the gamma of a newer transfer.

Please elaborate. How was this measured? What kind of "gamma" does an older Blu-ray transfer have vs a "new" Blu-ray transfer?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Guessing he means the more film-like compressed highlights you usually see in newer transfers? Robert Harris says this is a newly struck transfer.
(Wasn't this the first Super35 movie?)
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Loved this film. Had no idea this was out. Gotta snag it!

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Kinda funny they would hire a Southern Bell model with little acting experience (at the time) like Andie MacDowell and then turn right around and re-dub her voice using Glenn Close (another American with a fake accent). Why didn't they just hire a beautiful British actress in the first place??

Hollywood can be pretty darn looney!

Not on my buy list, but I sure might rent it for old time's sake.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Guessing he means the more film-like compressed highlights you usually see in newer transfers? Robert Harris says this is a newly struck transfer.
(Wasn't this the first Super35 movie?)

Exactly what I meant, the rolled off highlights. Newer blu rays transfers have thar look.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sigh, 'Greystoke' still hasn't been released in Canada ... not even a listing on Amz.ca frown.gif

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man

Tags
Greystoke The Legend Of Tarzan Blu Ray