post #61 of 74 Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

We probably didn't need another origin story for Superman but I think Nolan wanted to emulate his success with Batman Begins. But since they changed so much from Superman's standard origin I think they felt it necessary to retell the origin to build this world up.

I appreciated them digging deeper into Krypton and touching on the mythos surrounding Kryptonian technology and exploration, but I did not enjoy the Smallville flashbacks. They disrupted the flow too much, IMO. Hmm, maybe when I attempt to remove the shakycam, I'll reorder some scenes... tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got the Blu-Ray for MAN OF STEEL...loved the movie (saw it 3 times, 1 time in 3D). I thought they did a GREAT job re-telling the story and I loved how they did NOT do a straight chronology story since that has been there, done that with previous movies and TV. I wrote a review over at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3UHRZG3CS022C/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_1?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R100DSWJU1CUO9

I noticed that when I hit DISPLAY the data bits or something like it shows in "Mbps"....and for MOS it ranges from 15-25 Mbps. Usually above 20 Mbps.

Does this mean anything, and how does this compare to other films shown in HD ? I think the peak Mbps for some Justice League animated movies reached into the 35 Mbps range.
post #63 of 74 Old 04-12-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bar none this was the best ever Superman movie!!!
chucky08016 likes this.
post #64 of 74 Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I agree...

I felt some of the fight scene were slightly lengthy, but over all it's two thumbs up.

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida-Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp-Budgie SUT-Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85-Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio-Klisch RC64II-Klipsch SW-115
Samsung PN64D8000-OPPO BDP-93
Klipsch Image Ones-Klipsch x11i
post #65 of 74 Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Pretty much thought it was awful. The fight scenes in this were so over the top they made Dragonball Z look subdued. As far as the franchise goes this film was about on par with Superman IV.
post #66 of 74 Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Pretty much thought it was awful. The fight scenes in this were so over the top they made Dragonball Z look subdued. As far as the franchise goes this film was about on par with Superman IV.

It''s a movie and a comic book movie at that. It's going to be over the top. Complaining about that is like complaining about cheese on a pizza. Ridiculous.
post #67 of 74 Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The disappointing box office of Superman Returns directly caused Man of Steel's contrarian take on the character. Man of Steel is a decent Hollywood blockbuster, more grounded in modern action Sci-Fi than the comic books that birthed Superman.
post #68 of 74 Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I really liked SR, I didn't see it in theaters, saw it in mine on HD-DVD.

That said, I didn't care much for MoS.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #69 of 74 Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

I really liked SR, I didn't see it in theaters, saw it in mine on HD-DVD. That said, I didn't care much for MoS.

IMO, SR was a better traditional Superman film, but lacked his righteousness and optimism. It was just kind of depressing... A lot of the action scenes were well done. Making it less about the mythos and more about Supes Jr. seemed like an afterthought.

MOS would have been better if it had either A) taken more time to be an origin story, or B) taken more time to be an established-Superman vs Zod story. Basically, it would have been better as two separate movies. Lois Lane's involvement was just plain stupid and pointless and they spent way too much effort forcing screentime for her in completely implausible situations. But have I mentioned Zimmer's score recently enough? Saved the film.
post #70 of 74 Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

IMO, SR was a better traditional Superman film, but lacked his righteousness and optimism. It was just kind of depressing... A lot of the action scenes were well done. Making it less about the mythos and more about Supes Jr. seemed like an afterthought.

MOS would have been better if it had either A) taken more time to be an origin story, or B) taken more time to be an established-Superman vs Zod story. Basically, it would have been better as two separate movies. Lois Lane's involvement was just plain stupid and pointless and they spent way too much effort forcing screentime for her in completely implausible situations. But have I mentioned Zimmer's score recently enough? Saved the film.

You didn't need an origin story with this movie and we pretty much got one anyway with the Krypton section and the flashbacks. We know who Superman is we don't need another introduction to his character. Superman Returns was boring and horrible. If you're going to make a Superman movie go all out and that is what MOS did and they did it well.
post #71 of 74 Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

You didn't need an origin story with this movie and we pretty much got one anyway with the Krypton section and the flashbacks. We know who Superman is we don't need another introduction to his character. Superman Returns was boring and horrible. If you're going to make a Superman movie go all out and that is what MOS did and they did it well.
I disagree that they did it well. You said it yourself: they didn't need an origin story, but they did it anyway. Like I said, if they wanted to tell an origin story then they should have just done that (option A) and focused on Krypton, Kal's trip to earth, being raised by the Kents, and finding out who he really is. That could have been its own movie that laid out the groundwork for the sequel. THEN bring out a sequel focusing on Kal battling Zod & Co, raising the stakes and defending earth from total destruction.

Ultimately MOS is a remake of Donner's Superman and Superman II, but they condensed it into one film, replaced the dialog with yelling, and filled it with CGI, 'splosions, and shots that even Michael Bay would avoid. I still like MOS, but I like it as a big dumb action movie (skip to the demo scenes), not really a Superman movie.

That reminds me, I need to visit fanedit.org and see if there are any decent edits of MOS...
post #72 of 74 Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I disagree that they did it well. You said it yourself: they didn't need an origin story, but they did it anyway. Like I said, if they wanted to tell an origin story then they should have just done that (option A) and focused on Krypton, Kal's trip to earth, being raised by the Kents, and finding out who he really is. That could have been its own movie that laid out the groundwork for the sequel. THEN bring out a sequel focusing on Kal battling Zod & Co, raising the stakes and defending earth from total destruction.

Ultimately MOS is a remake of Donner's Superman and Superman II, but they condensed it into one film, replaced the dialog with yelling, and filled it with CGI, 'splosions, and shots that even Michael Bay would avoid. I still like MOS, but I like it as a big dumb action movie (skip to the demo scenes), not really a Superman movie.

That reminds me, I need to visit fanedit.org and see if there are any decent edits of MOS...

My point about the origin story is you said they needed more of it and my response was no MOS gave you enough of an origin story. Like I said you don't need an hour to reintroduce Kal-El/Clark whatever we've been there done that. It was the perfect amount of time to give you just enough of an origin story.
post #73 of 74 Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

My point about the origin story is you said they needed more of it and my response was no MOS gave you enough of an origin story. Like I said you don't need an hour to reintroduce Kal-El/Clark whatever we've been there done that. It was the perfect amount of time to give you just enough of an origin story.

Agree to disagree. biggrin.gif
post #74 of 74 Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Agree to disagree. biggrin.gif

Sure biggrin.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags