BD/DVDs damaged by a non-physical interference? PLEASE HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I'm having a total disaster. All of the sudden a large percentage of my BD/DVD collection's audio has become distorted, regardless of where I play it (I have tested it on several different home theatre systems.) Is it possible for DVDs and BDs to become damaged by some sort of non-physical interference or environmental condition? Or could they be getting damaged by one of my BD players? If so, it is not physically damaging them...there are no scratches or visible wear...

Naturally at first, I assumed it was a problem with my equipment, but like I said, I have already ruled that out. The oddest part is that only certain discs are affected..I would say 50% to some degree and 15% are severely affected with heavy distortion. We are talking about all kinds of discs, including high quality and well-reviewed blu rays, but oddly enough, it seems that modern movies (but not necessarily new releases) very rarely have the distortion issue. The worst example I have ever heard is Shout Factory's Race With The Devil blu ray, but I have heard the issue on several "newer" blu ray movies too such as dude Where's My Car and tons of older ones (dvd and blus). Even brand new purchases straight from amazon.com have distorted upon playback, which means if there is a source of interference it is ongoing and damaging my discs immediatly. I get them delivered to me at work (a deli), in which they sit next to a cash register and a fax machine all day, then go into my car and straight home to my apartment in downtown Rochester, NY. But my collection consists of over 4,000 movies and I have had several play distorted that I've owned for many years and used to sound fine. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but I have NO IDEA what the hell is going on here and I'm losing my mind. PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It is absolutely crazy. If you suddenly have a large percentage of discs that are 'failing' or 'distorted', and but play fine elsewhere, I'd get a cancer screening.
But you're not clear as to what is happening or what the 'distortion' is.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 32
If you leave them outside in direct sunlight, or sitting in a car, which can get over 140º f, yes it can cause issues. As for anything else, scratching them, placing them upside down under a UV light could also cause issues, but not just leaving them in a case, in a cabinet is not going to do anything to them.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
If the video is still normal on either DVD or BD, then there's nothing physically wrong with the disc. There's certainly nothing physical that could cause "distorted audio", since the audio is multiplexed into the video and you'd expect to see video breaking up too. There's more to this story that hasn't been revealed, but based on what's been posted this is not a problem with the discs.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
hey guys. I know it sounds crazy, but how do you explain the fact that I have taken several of the problematic discs over to my mom's house and had the same issue in her set up? They are SEVERELY distorting, but the video is fine. I have even had discs that I've owned for years with no issues suddenly start distorting...whatever is going on is obviously EXTREMELY bizarre. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Just rest assured, it is NOT my equipment. Somehow, the audio on many of my discs has become distorted...

I would best describe the issue as a fuzzy distortion that sounds connected to dialogue and/or certain frequencies in the soundtrack, depending on the disc itself. With some movies, the issue is hardly noticeable, whereas with others it is intolerable.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
This is digital audio, multiplexed into a video stream. It's not possible for ANY kind of disc issue to cause audio problems alone, much less the type of distortion being described. Something else is going on.

Assuming you have the capability, put one of the discs into your PC drive and rip it. If it rips without errors, the disc is fine.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 118

Maybe your BD player needs an update, or the audio output/settings got mucked up on it somehow? Or maybe it's a cabling issue? My best guesses anyway.

ADU
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page